Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

4 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

why don't you just use Roundup?

Not a fan of those chemicals when I have a 2 year old and 2 boston terriers. Besides the walkway, weeds are abundant. Need a less toxic way to rid and control it. 

I ripped out the weeds in between the walkway yesterday. gonna scrape out debris this weekend, and try to polymeric sand next week. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Not a fan of those chemicals when I have a 2 year old and 2 boston terriers. Besides the walkway, weeds are abundant. Need a less toxic way to rid and control it. 

I ripped out the weeds in between the walkway yesterday. gonna scrape out debris this weekend, and try to polymeric sand next week. 

Take a look at chelated iron products.

what's the best way to gauge fert application with a rotary spreader? I've used a small Scotts rotary for years, but I don't use Scotts fert, so the dial # is meaningless for other types of fert. I picked up some Lescos today and will spread tonight. One bag covers 11,000sqft. I know my yard's dimensions and can get a general sense of how far one bag will go, but have no idea on the rotary dial #. Halfway open, 1/4, 1/3???? In the past, I've just winged it and hoped I didn't run out or put too much down for the given area.

10 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

what's the best way to gauge fert application with a rotary spreader? I've used a small Scotts rotary for years, but I don't use Scotts fert, so the dial # is meaningless for other types of fert. I picked up some Lescos today and will spread tonight. One bag covers 11,000sqft. I know my yard's dimensions and can get a general sense of how far one bag will go, but have no idea on the rotary dial #. Halfway open, 1/4, 1/3???? In the past, I've just winged it and hoped I didn't run out or put too much down for the given area.

Depends on the spreader and the fert. There's conversions online if you google search. What's the model of your spreader?

32 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

The back of the Lesco bag I got had the Scotts settings on there as well, I believe it was 6

Whatever you do, for the love of God, do not buy any Scott’s fertilizer at Home Depot or Lowe’s. I would also argue do not buy Lesco at Lowe’s. Spend a few extra bucks literally, and get that Jonathan Green, or the real Lesco at the landscape stores. 
Don't worry, bought the lescos at John Deere. Got it done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 4/27/2018 at 12:58 PM, Lava Rock said:

If you’re still looking Here is a conversion sheet , use the Lesco spreader as the baseline and then find your zone / rate on the bag. 

IMG_0344.jpg.e273463e289d7e8cad0ce2363dc173a9.jpg

14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Never have I seen so many leaves in a Spring cleanup.  Flucking oaks.  With work, I was only able to spend a couple hours outside.  Disaster.  Piles of leaves everywhere.  Looks like showers moving in too.  Spring cleanup ftmfl.

Yeah with the late Fall they got into the spring cleanup mix. My biggest thing were  sticks and branches. It’s like they got pulverized into tiny 6” sticks all over the yard.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:07 AM, CoastalWx said:

Yeah with the late Fall they got into the spring cleanup mix. My biggest thing were  sticks and branches. It’s like they got pulverized into tiny 6” sticks all over the yard.

That too.  My yard is still a disaster of leaves and debris.  I managed to blow all the leaves out of the bed before sundown Saturday.  Sunday was a wash with the rain and work.  I need 2 of me to be able to do all the **** on my plate right now.  Lucky I was at least able to fertilize a week ago.  But I need to complete leave/debris cleanup, mow, edge, mulch, dethatch, kill weeds.  Found out Saturday that my lawnmower isn't running again.  My neighbor pulled it all apart last year and all he could determine was that it may need a new carburetor.  Everything else was in good working condition and even that was clean.  Plug is fine, gas is annually run dry.  Just one more thing I don't need to deal with.  Sucks only have a few hours a week to work in yard at best.

37 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That too.  My yard is still a disaster of leaves and debris.  I managed to blow all the leaves out of the bed before sundown Saturday.  Sunday was a wash with the rain and work.  I need 2 of me to be able to do all the **** on my plate right now.  Lucky I was at least able to fertilize a week ago.  But I need to complete leave/debris cleanup, mow, edge, mulch, dethatch, kill weeds.  Found out Saturday that my lawnmower isn't running again.  My neighbor pulled it all apart last year and all he could determine was that it may need a new carburetor.  Everything else was in good working condition and even that was clean.  Plug is fine, gas is annually run dry.  Just one more thing I don't need to deal with.  Sucks only have a few hours a week to work in yard at best.

carb probably has a plugged jet. Easy enough to check.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:01 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

I know they are fall germinating.  Swore I dropped fall treatment before.  They are everywhere.  Would take a day to pull them all.

57710154-988D-4AE1-8014-9E6E95B53D1F.thumb.jpeg.64e29778a7338d68fce47c0af38d1d80.jpeg

These little ****ers are the devils spawn.  So I'm trying to remove them and the ****ers explode when disturbed and hundreds of seeds spray all over the place.  I have another weed that seems to be a fall germinator because its already flowering.  Small purple to white flower.

Well after having the spindles on my mower rebuilt, (it used to sound like I was mowing marbles) I decided to sand and paint the machine (OCD). Mows great and the yard is looking pretty good. The clover definitely got knocked down this year between the pre and post emergent fert. I think my routine will be heavy weed and feed in the spring and core aerating and overseeding in the fall. In 3 years my lawn went from sparse old neglected grass that barely grew to this. 

0505181831_HDR.jpg

0505181848_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nikoss427 said:

Well after having the spindles on my mower rebuilt, (it used to sound like I was mowing marbles) I decided to sand and paint the machine (OCD). Mows great and the yard is looking pretty good. The clover definitely got knocked down this year between the pre and post emergent fert. I think my routine will be heavy weed and feed in the spring and core aerating and overseeding in the fall. In 3 years my lawn went from sparse old neglected grass that barely grew to this. 

0505181831_HDR.jpg

0505181848_HDR.jpg

Looks awesome man. Really nice . 

We Tolland 

On 5/3/2018 at 7:00 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I think I will let this growing season play out as is, not waste more money on this turrable lawn....and in the fall, sod cut it and redo the whole thing right with either sod or topsoil with prestine seeding. 

Putting bandaids on a bleeing jugular won’t heal it. Need to operate.

one thing you should consider now, is testing your soil for ph and lime (if needed) to get it ready for fall. you won't get the full effect of your fert if ph isn't right. check around there is probably a garden club or university affiliated outreach program that will do it for free.

12 hours ago, Nikoss427 said:

0505181831_HDR.jpg

0505181848_HDR.jpg

Very nice!!!

Why does Scott get his panties in a bunch over Lesco from Home Depot?