Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Damage In Tolland

9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Kevin would love my lawn. I let the clover flower and drop seed during the heat wave. Clover as far as the eye can see soon!

I'm trying to spread the clover on my lawn; in fact I wish my entire lawn was clover.  Nice, hearty green that's essentially drought resistant.  It keeps the grass that's inter-mingled nice and healthy, too.  The honey bees love it as well. Win-win-win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Kevin would love my lawn. I let the clover flower and drop seed during the heat wave. Clover as far as the eye can see soon!

Most would have a stroke if they saw my lawn but i really care little about it, I hate mowing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I'm trying to spread the clover on my lawn; in fact I wish my entire lawn was clover.  Nice, hearty green that's essentially drought resistant.  It keeps the grass that's inter-mingled nice and healthy, too.  The honey bees love it as well. Win-win-win.

Yup, I have plenty of clover, And the bee's help with pollinating my garden which i do care about.................;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sniffing trees ftl. 

Man, my lawn is so brutal. I may just go artificial grass this fall and save myself money and pain.

Check with your city/town first. Some towns do not allow artificial grass to be installed at a residential home. About 15 or so years ago I worked with someone who wanted to install artificial turf and he was not allowed to do so by the town he lived in. I do not recall the town he was living in at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Check with your city/town first. Some towns do not allow artificial grass to be installed at a residential home. About 15 or so years ago I worked with someone who wanted to install artificial turf and he was not allowed to do so by the town he lived in. I do not recall the town he was living in at the time.

Tolland CT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lawn question for you guys.  If an established lawn completely browns out due to lack of rain will it come back when rain resumes?  I have been able to keep our lawns halfway decent with our well water but now Im getting to the point that I am going to just have to really cut back due to the dryness.  Last of our water evaporated from our pond today so the groundwater must be dropping steadily.  Just don't know if a brown lawn would come back if it goes totally dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Lawn question for you guys.  If an established lawn completely browns out due to lack of rain will it come back when rain resumes?  I have been able to keep our lawns halfway decent with our well water but now Im getting to the point that I am going to just have to really cut back due to the dryness.  Last of our water evaporated from our pond today so the groundwater must be dropping steadily.  Just don't know if a brown lawn would come back if it goes totally dry.

Yes, the lawn is basically going dormant if it goes all brown.  It could probably be totally brown for a month or so and still be fine and come back again with some rain and or irrigation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yes, the lawn is basically going dormant if it goes all brown.  It could probably be totally brown for a month or so and still be fine and come back again with some rain and or irrigation.

Totally agree, I’ll let part of mine, if not all, go dormant in dry spells and it has always bounced back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yes, the lawn is basically going dormant if it goes all brown.  It could probably be totally brown for a month or so and still be fine and come back again with some rain and or irrigation.

 

 

16 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Lawn question for you guys.  If an established lawn completely browns out due to lack of rain will it come back when rain resumes?  I have been able to keep our lawns halfway decent with our well water but now Im getting to the point that I am going to just have to really cut back due to the dryness.  Last of our water evaporated from our pond today so the groundwater must be dropping steadily.  Just don't know if a brown lawn would come back if it goes totally dry.

agree with this the only thing to be concerned about is insect (grubs) damage. its hard to tell the difference between dormant and damage from grubs attacking the root system. - you can have both.  I noticed some folks talking about japanese beetles (adult stage of white grubs). signs you have grubs - the grass lays over or skunks digging to eat the grubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S&P said:

 

 

agree with this the only thing to be concerned about is insect (grubs) damage. its hard to tell the difference between dormant and damage from grubs attacking the root system. - you can have both.  I noticed some folks talking about japanese beetles (adult stage of white grubs). signs you have grubs - the grass lays over or skunks digging to eat the grubs.

Right, I guess I should have added that a brown discolored lawn could also be disease and or grub damage which is less likely to come back than drought dormancy. Grub damage is pretty easy to identify as the lawn will be able to be pulled up off the ground like a piece a sod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the answers to my brown lawn question.  As some of you know 5 years ago we lifted and moved our house to pour a new foundation.  All the great soil and lawns got destroyed and bulldozed.  After the job we brought in loam but it is only perhaps 3 or 4" deep.  Then hydroseeded.  Now to keep the lawn green I have to water like crazy and fertilize which I never had to do before with the deep, rich old farm soil.  I was just worried that if I let the lawn go it would never come back and would have to tear it up and hydroseed which I never want to do again.  So its good to know that I can just let it brown out now.  Hopefully next week we will get some rain to the rescue.  4.5" or so of rain since May 1rst and a super heat wave doesn't make for a great lawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thanks for the answers to my brown lawn question.  As some of you know 5 years ago we lifted and moved our house to pour a new foundation.  All the great soil and lawns got destroyed and bulldozed.  After the job we brought in loam but it is only perhaps 3 or 4" deep.  Then hydroseeded.  Now to keep the lawn green I have to water like crazy and fertilize which I never had to do before with the deep, rich old farm soil.  I was just worried that if I let the lawn go it would never come back and would have to tear it up and hydroseed which I never want to do again.  So its good to know that I can just let it brown out now.  Hopefully next week we will get some rain to the rescue.  4.5" or so of rain since May 1rst and a super heat wave doesn't make for a great lawn.

I'd take that, at UUU have had 1.6" since June 1 and about 2" since the middle of May

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, S&P said:

I'd take that, at UUU have had 1.6" since June 1 and about 2" since the middle of May

Wow,  that is dry.  Just took a picture of the daylilies/hydrangea Garden as compared to last year.  Hydrangeas have not bloomed yet.  Many daylilies branches are going brown and its trying to put on a partial show.  Note as compared to last summer when everything was lush and green.  

DL1.jpg

Summer 2018.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×