Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, Lava Rock said:

Hoping the cold coming doesn't kill the new seed. No sprouts yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just a thought but perhaps you can use hay to help keep the ground warm and to retain moisture. I've used plastic trash bags as this time of year to help grass grow in bare spots. I first put new soil down,seed, water, then I cover the area with trash bags. Usually I see sprouts within a few days. 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Round 1 this afternoon of leaf cleanup disaster. There was a ton of Oak leaves already down after the wind Friday. Backpack blower , then tractor. Lawn has never been so lush green this late .

SfkQakE.jpg

Looks good, but most lawns look really green mid Oct I would think, I don't consider mid Oct very late in the season lawn wise, even with a non torch fall.

Now, 2015 I consider  this late --this was Xmas morning in VT, we pray that never happens again..ha

rps20161225_135414.thumb.jpg.531e0d04c1ed24bdcd46c5e11dd7cea8.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Looks good, but most lawns look really green mid Oct I would think, I don't consider mid Oct very late in the season lawn wise, even with a non torch fall.

Now, 2015 I consider  this late --this was Xmas morning in VT, we pray that never happens again..ha

rps20161225_135414.thumb.jpg.531e0d04c1ed24bdcd46c5e11dd7cea8.jpg

I recall some green that winter, but I don’t recall lawns looking like late May in mid October other years. Especially in shady, wooded areas. The warm , humid fall has kept the grass growing and green well into the fall

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I recall some green that winter, but I don’t recall lawns looking like late May in mid October other years. Especially in shady, wooded areas. The warm , humid fall has kept the grass growing and green well into the fall

Very green here that Christmas. Heck, I had kale and broccoli regrowing on Torchmas that year.

Our lawn is  lush and green right now.  Did the final mow yesterday.  We have so few trees around the house that no leave cleanup.  The few trees we have, ash out back and horse chestnut and red maple out front are now bare.

Just as we finished the mow with our 52" zero turn ride tractor it blew a tire as we were bring it in for the winter, perfect timing...

Drone shot....

laen.jpg

Looks great. Still trying to get our new grass to grow. It's going but last couple cold mornings slowing it down. Starting to wonder if it will root well enough before frost

Our lawn is  lush and green right now.  Did the final mow yesterday.  We have so few trees around the house that no leave cleanup.  The few trees we have, ash out back and horse chestnut and red maple out front are now bare.
Just as we finished the mow with our 52" zero turn ride tractor it blew a tire as we were bring it in for the winter, perfect timing...
Drone shot....
laen.jpg.502d22d70d288d83ccb690421c6c8a1e.jpg

40 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Looks great. Still trying to get our new grass to grow. It's going but last couple cold mornings slowing it down. Starting to wonder if it will root well enough before frost

The next week of weather is pretty terrible for establishing new grass. A frost won't necessarily kill new young grass shoots, it's not like a frost freezes the soil. But these cold mornings and days make the soil temp drop more rapidly and tougher for good root establishment.

Well we've got a $2600 balance and tempted to hold payment.

The next week of weather is pretty terrible for establishing new grass. A frost won't necessarily kill new young grass shoots, it's not like a frost freezes the soil. But these cold mornings and days make the soil temp drop more rapidly and tougher for good root establishment.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Well we've got a $2600 balance and tempted to hold payment.

Lava,  I just went back through this thread to read all your posts. 

Hum...  I think the landscape guys are negligent to some degree.  You live in Raymond Maine.  IMO your pretty darn far north for hydroseeding on Oct 6th.  First the guy said he was sick for a week.  Then they didn't spread the loam because they said it was too wet. If you had started 2 weeks earlier you  would have been much better off.  Your grass will probably germinate but not to the point that runoff channels will not form over the next 5 months till growing season starts again. That is what happened to me.  Now its Oct 18th and looking forward temps sure don't look very warm.  Growing hours become short.  If you don't have a guarantee in your paperwork maybe you should talk to the landscape company and if you pay them in full and the lawn does not take they at least come back in May and try again.  Get that in writing.  The main part of the project was the loam.  Hydroseeding that area can't cost too much.  Make them come back if necessary.  Good Luck...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So I have a bunch of trees to plant. Should I just let them go dormant and put them in the basement to plant in the spring or throw them in the ground now? I’m worried they won’t get much rooting the rest of this season.

I had an elm given to me(still have it) and I left it in the basement all winter. It was fine. Just keep an eye on the water for it. 

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So I have a bunch of trees to plant. Should I just let them go dormant and put them in the basement to plant in the spring or throw them in the ground now? I’m worried they won’t get much rooting the rest of this season.

Just did a quick search and it's dependent upon a few factors.

http://blog.davey.com/2016/10/when-is-it-too-late-to-plant-a-tree-in-fall/

36 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What kind of trees?  I put some spruce & arbor vitae in the ground this time last year, and they did fine.  Had some minor winter burn on the south side, but with water and hollytone in the spring they bounced back.  I know your climo and soil conditions are different than mine, but I expect they'd do ok.  Especially since the ground is wet.  My winter burn was caused, in part, by dry soil heading into the winter.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Just did a quick search and it's dependent upon a few factors.

http://blog.davey.com/2016/10/when-is-it-too-late-to-plant-a-tree-in-fall/

My 6" soil temp was down to 47F on that last cold morning...it's 50F right now.

44 minutes ago, tunafish said:

What kind of trees?  I put some spruce & arbor vitae in the ground this time last year, and they did fine.  Had some minor winter burn on the south side, but with water and hollytone in the spring they bounced back.  I know your climo and soil conditions are different than mine, but I expect they'd do ok.  Especially since the ground is wet.  My winter burn was caused, in part, by dry soil heading into the winter.

They're deciduous. I have a few shagbark hickories, a couple of crabapples, a japanese maple, a yellow birch, and a tulip tree. I wanted to get them in the ground a week ago, but yeah, life.

Well 2 weeks in and this what we have. Pretty thin although some spots coming in nicely. We've been watering 3 times/day at 10min per. Hardest part to get is up by the road. I think the slow growth has more to do with the recent cold then lack of water. With rain coming we'll see if that helps, but clearly the nearly 2 week delay is hurting us. I asked for the guarantee in writing while I sit on the invoice.

capture1.jpg

16 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Well 2 weeks in and this what we have. Pretty thin although some spots coming in nicely. We've been watering 3 times/day at 10min per. Hardest part to get is up by the road. I think the slow growth has more to do with the recent cold then lack of water. With rain coming we'll see if that helps, but clearly the nearly 2 week delay is hurting us. I asked for the guarantee in writing while I sit on the invoice.

capture1.jpg

Is it 100% Kentucky Bluegrass, or a mix? If its straight Bluegrass, then germination time normally takes longer than ryegrass or Fescues. I see a decent amount of green fuzz, so that's good. Hope it can fill in and get somewhat established before winter.  The winter weenies will not like this, but ideally for your grass you want a ridge in the east for the next month for some warmth to help get the roots growing.

Got the powerworks battery operated backpack blower.....What a great toy. Power is comparable to traditional gas blowers but probably a tick ‘weaker’, it’s super quiet, no sniffing gas/oil though some may say that’s a negative, and no maintenance. Did about .50 acres last night and only 1 of 4 battery bars was used. Highly recommended. 

I hear good things about their entire outdoor equipment line. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Got the powerworks battery operated backpack blower.....What a great toy. Power is comparable to traditional gas blowers but probably a tick ‘weaker’, it’s super quiet, no sniffing gas/oil though some may say that’s a negative, and no maintenance. Did about .50 acres last night and only 1 of 4 battery bars was used. Highly recommended. 

I hear good things about their entire outdoor equipment line. 

Good to know, which one exactly did you get?