Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The aerator is a beast though. Soil is a still little too soggy from all the rain, and I have hilly terrain...so some spots are going to get practicaly tilled, which I’m fine with. 

Similar experience aerating my yard last spring, some spots a little too muddy but the lawn came back very well. 

On 9/29/2018 at 9:11 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well then....Long yardwork day was going as planned until I drove the aerator machine, on my 2nd stripe no less, over an underground bee nest and was stung 4 times in the back of the leg. Didn’t even see the sob’s coming. 

My mom was attacked by a bunch of bumble bees from the ground nest. Many stings. Now on benadryl and still having pain over a week later.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:25 AM, Lava Rock said:

Lawn project underway.

capture1.jpg

Landscape guys say they have to wait for loam to dry out before spreading it. Really? do they plan on shoveling all of it? I'm just a bit annoyed with these guys and their delays. Looks pretty warm coming up, so not too worried about establishment. Hoping to hydroseed end of the week.

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Landscape guys say they have to wait for loam to dry out before spreading it. Really? do they plan on shoveling all of it? I'm just a bit annoyed with these guys and their delays. Looks pretty warm coming up, so not too worried about establishment. Hoping to hydroseed end of the week.

Fun times in store!  Have you considered simply raking in seed rather than hydro-seeding?  I've heard there's a lot of weed-seed in those products.

51 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Sounds like you have some idiot landscapers. The loam should have been spread. And I would not hydroseed at this time of year. I know a few people who had their  lawns hydroseeded this time of year and it did not go well. And I know a few people who had their lawns hydroseeded in June and July and they had much better results. 

16 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Sounds like you have some idiot landscapers. The loam should have been spread. And I would not hydroseed at this time of year. I know a few people who had their  lawns hydroseeded this time of year and it did not go well. And I know a few people who had their lawns hydroseeded in June and July and they had much better results. 

Interesting. Guy says he hydroseeded his house last Nov and it came in fine. I'm actually ok with it not being spread as we're supposed to get hvy showers last night. Unless they can hydroseed same day as loam is spread I'd like to avoid a bunch of runoff. They're supposed to install some erosion netting on the slopes to avoid this. They guarantee the grass to come in and if it doesn't they will spray again in spring. I'm not sure how they define "come in".

Took the drone up around the property yesterday.  Do any of you guys know what is going on with my apple trees?  Skip to the end of the video to see them.  They are getting old but never have they lost most of their leaves this early.  We have had a dry summer but not drought like dry.  (.77" May and then around 3/3.5" each month including September).  They were planted in 1907 so perhaps they are all getting to the end of their lives.  We are planting lots of young apple trees to take their place.  Looks like we should have done this years ago and not just in the past 2-3 years.

My mature crabapple tree yellowed and dropped many leaves early too. On closer inspection it looks like it developed its first warm season of leaf spot...no surprise given the record humidity combined with lots of rain this summer. Keep the area in and around the drip line clear of old leaves and fruit so that the fungal spores don't get into the soil which would make things worse next year.

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My mature crabapple tree yellowed and dropped many leaves early too. On closer inspection it looks like it developed its first warm season of leaf spot...no surprise given the record humidity combined with lots of rain this summer. Keep the area in and around the drip line clear of old leaves and fruit so that the fungal spores don't get into the soil which would make things worse next year.

i have noticed the same thing on many trees. seemed unusual that there were apples on trees wtih no leaves

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Interesting. Guy says he hydroseeded his house last Nov and it came in fine. I'm actually ok with it not being spread as we're supposed to get hvy showers last night. Unless they can hydroseed same day as loam is spread I'd like to avoid a bunch of runoff. They're supposed to install some erosion netting on the slopes to avoid this. They guarantee the grass to come in and if it doesn't they will spray again in spring. I'm not sure how they define "come in".

Just make sure you get that in writing. Is the guy the landscaper?

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Brian, they definitely got leaf spot early on and dropped lots of leaves.  I'm really torn about taking the lawn tractor and blowing the leaves away from the apple trees.  So many wormy apples on the ground and the deer and bears are eating them.  The tractor destroys the apples on the ground and makes them into mush.  So I try not to mow in the apple orchard after early September.  Longer grasses and fruit for the animals.  Speaking of bears we have one that has been coming every day to apple munch.  Here he is earlier last week on that rainy day.

19 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

you're better off hydroseeding this time of year, the seed will root to the cellulose material first (7-10 days) and then root in the ground. most weed seeds are in the loam, but if you're concerned about weed in the product or cheapproduct you can buy you're own seed and just have them mix it with the cellulose material. I've done it that way.

23 hours ago, dendrite said:

Nice. That means we have an epic dry stretch coming.

or.... it could mean that the developing system in the Gulf will be yanked up here late this week and give us a quick 6" soak.  Just kidding Lava.  When we did our huge hydroseed project I was so nervous.  Let's hope its a go this time..

On 9/28/2018 at 11:37 AM, dendrite said:

I just signed up for it, but it seems all of the deliveries in NH have been near the NH border. Either they don't provide up here yet or I'm the first to signup. We'll see. You can get free logs if you want them too. That would be a plus for those with wood stoves. Easier work for MPM in the summer.

Chip drop ftmfw

11C11BCA-A1A2-44F0-AF5E-EDF9C419A7A7.jpeg