Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

On 9/11/2018 at 7:17 PM, amarshall said:

So that grass is toast? Reseed and call it a day

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Happened here as well . Course I play lost a number of fairways overnight last weekend. I had some issues as well . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 12:47 PM, dendrite said:

Too old and brittle to raise them now. May need to adopt some 3rd world tweens from ****hole countries. :(

Adopting is a very selfless act and one of the kindest things I think a person can do, my best friend was adopted and he's a good kid.

Otherwise just let the nuts lie where they are they'll decompose, no?

23 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Aerating this weekend. Curious if I should lime or seed...or both. Soil ranges from ph4-6.

Glad to see you actually tested your soil and didn't just lime.  I have spots with a good amount of moss but I tested the soil and I'm at 7 so no lime, just rake it out and keep and eye on it.  That said, the sweet spot is between 6-7 so the 4 would concern me, I'd say lime. 

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Aerating this weekend. Curious if I should lime or seed...or both. Soil ranges from ph4-6.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Glad to see you actually tested your soil and didn't just lime.  I have spots with a good amount of moss but I tested the soil and I'm at 7 so no lime, just rake it out and keep and eye on it.  That said, the sweet spot is between 6-7 so the 4 would concern me, I'd say lime. 

Agree, should get some lime down with ph that low. I don't think there is an issue with doing seed at the same time if that's what you want to do. Even the best grass seed cultivars wont reach their full potential if the soil isn't adequate, so getting the soil optimum is definitely important in getting the the grass to thrive. 

16 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Agree, should get some lime down with ph that low. I don't think there is an issue with doing seed at the same time if that's what you want to do. Even the best grass seed cultivars wont reach their full potential if the soil isn't adequate, so getting the soil optimum is definitely important in getting the the grass to thrive. 

Agreed as well, I've seeded and put lime down at the same time with no issues.

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

Has anyone ever received free wood chips from that Chip Drop service?

no, but it looks interesting. i have recently had a bunch of tree work done at my house and neighbors. I have them chip up all the branches and leave a big pile. if you want clean mulch, this is not for you. i use it to fill in low spots on trails in my area. the small sticks and evergreen "shrapnel" that is in the chips breaks down very quickly. in fact, the whole thing breaks down quickly.

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

no, but it looks interesting. i have recently had a bunch of tree work done at my house and neighbors. I have them chip up all the branches and leave a big pile. if you want clean mulch, this is not for you. i use it to fill in low spots on trails in my area. the small sticks and evergreen "shrapnel" that is in the chips breaks down very quickly. in fact, the whole thing breaks down quickly.

I use it in my chicken run. Eek had a bunch of chips (a lot of hemlock) leftover from tree removal this past spring and I took a few truckloads. It works like a dream in there for my drainage issues. I want more of it because like you said, it breaks down quickly. I could see the mycelium growing on it this past summer.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:17 AM, SJonesWX said:

I just signed up for it, but it seems all of the deliveries in NH have been near the NH border. Either they don't provide up here yet or I'm the first to signup. We'll see. You can get free logs if you want them too. That would be a plus for those with wood stoves. Easier work for MPM in the summer.

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Now I regret not aerating and seeding last week. Anyway, should I cut the grass low before I aerate and lime/seed?

absolutely. 2" is optimal, but don't cut it too much shorter than you normally cut. i keep mine at 3" during the summer, went down to 2.5" for aerating/overseeding