Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

34 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Was probably too soon to catch the crabgrass germinating.

funny thing is, I had a second application of pre-emergent in late May when the TruGreen guy showed up to do the neighbors house and did my yard by accident.

21 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

been there, did that back in late April

late april shouldn't be  a problem (especially for late July) where did you get it from?

the only other thing would be if something distrubed the ground surface which would allow the seeds to germinate

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Chestnut experts...

These were growing off the side of my parents’ driveway. I see no larger trees around that match this leaf style and these were the only 2 small ones like it. Chestnuts? They look quite a bit like mine from a nursery.

281BD1D7-A96B-4A93-9EDF-A46308E3E5BE.jpeg

B4B800EE-9579-450A-9FE1-7A1D80B7AA91.jpeg

Brian,  I'm not sure but I don't think so.  Here is a picture of a leaf from my 2-3 year old chestnut.  Seems longer and not as broad.  I Googed leaves with serrated edges and found a few similar ones.   I'm hardly a tree expert!

chestnut.jpg

20 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Brian,  I'm not sure but I don't think so.  Here is a picture of a leaf from my 2-3 year old chestnut.  Seems longer and not as broad.  I Googed leaves with serrated edges and found a few similar ones.   I'm hardly a tree expert!

chestnut.jpg

At first I thought beech, but the mature beech trees they have there had significantly wider leaves. Maybe the sapling leaves just aren't developed as much.

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Chestnut experts...

These were growing off the side of my parents’ driveway. I see no larger trees around that match this leaf style and these were the only 2 small ones like it. Chestnuts? They look quite a bit like mine from a nursery.

281BD1D7-A96B-4A93-9EDF-A46308E3E5BE.jpeg

B4B800EE-9579-450A-9FE1-7A1D80B7AA91.jpeg

That looks like a yellow birch.

16 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

That looks like a yellow birch.

The serations on the edge of these leaves is a lot more coarse than a yellow birch. I think they tend to have a more round shape too. Usually there's 2 leaves with one bud...this is one leaf.

55 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What I mean is that the serrations look wider and more coarse. They seem to appear on each vein of the leaf with no smaller ones in between. The yellow birch has many serrations, larger at the veins and smaller, finer ones in between.

Sure looks a lot better than earlier this summer.  Can you treat the crabgrass and let the other grass grow in or are you still planning a complete do over?
No do-over on this side of house. I slit seed last fall but it never took. I'm just going to let crabbgrass go for now and focus on other side of house where we're going to put in a flower garden on slope and get rid of our moonscape under the oak tree.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I have a Chestnut here on my street. I’ll grab a pic. Also nice to see an elm too, although it’s got some brown leaves now. :(

I have these weeds going nuts in my front and not sure what it is,  but needs to be terminated. Never had that. I’ll grab a pic.

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Pretty sure I have a Chestnut here on my street. I’ll grab a pic. Also nice to see an elm too, although it’s got some brown leaves now. :(

I have these weeds going nuts in my front and not sure what it is,  but needs to be terminated. Never had that. I’ll grab a pic.

Spotted Spurge is the big one now

10 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

We've got this. Started in the flower garden then onward to lawn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yes. Think that is it. Just came from nowhere. 

It's a pain in the ass to control.  Sticky on the fingers from the sap when you pick them.

My zoysia has been thriving in my barren front yard during the FL-like stretch. That stuff will grow and spread in almost any sand or soil. The plugs I planted in the back corner of my garage/house has almost completely filled in after 3 years and is green and lush. Normally it looks like Yuma back there.

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My zoysia has been thriving in my barren front yard during the FL-like stretch. That stuff will grow and spread in almost any sand or soil. The plugs I planted in the back corner of my garage/house has almost completely filled in after 3 years and is green and lush. Normally it looks like Yuma back there.

I didn’t know zoysia was cold hardy enough to survive up here. I would consider that in my barren front yard

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I didn’t know zoysia was cold hardy enough to survive up here. I would consider that in my barren front yard

It goes dormant for me in October and doesn't really green up until May, but once it gets established it is thick and lush all summer. It's even plowing through the crabgrass and clover. When it's dormant it's very dead, but since we usually have snow cover most of the winter it doesn't really bother me. I just have to deal with seeing the brown in late fall and April.