Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

41 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I'm trying to spread the clover on my lawn; in fact I wish my entire lawn was clover.  Nice, hearty green that's essentially drought resistant.  It keeps the grass that's inter-mingled nice and healthy, too.  The honey bees love it as well. Win-win-win.

Yup, I have plenty of clover, And the bee's help with pollinating my garden which i do care about.................;)

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sniffing trees ftl. 

Man, my lawn is so brutal. I may just go artificial grass this fall and save myself money and pain.

Check with your city/town first. Some towns do not allow artificial grass to be installed at a residential home. About 15 or so years ago I worked with someone who wanted to install artificial turf and he was not allowed to do so by the town he lived in. I do not recall the town he was living in at the time.

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Check with your city/town first. Some towns do not allow artificial grass to be installed at a residential home. About 15 or so years ago I worked with someone who wanted to install artificial turf and he was not allowed to do so by the town he lived in. I do not recall the town he was living in at the time.

Tolland CT?

Lawn question for you guys.  If an established lawn completely browns out due to lack of rain will it come back when rain resumes?  I have been able to keep our lawns halfway decent with our well water but now Im getting to the point that I am going to just have to really cut back due to the dryness.  Last of our water evaporated from our pond today so the groundwater must be dropping steadily.  Just don't know if a brown lawn would come back if it goes totally dry.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Lawn question for you guys.  If an established lawn completely browns out due to lack of rain will it come back when rain resumes?  I have been able to keep our lawns halfway decent with our well water but now Im getting to the point that I am going to just have to really cut back due to the dryness.  Last of our water evaporated from our pond today so the groundwater must be dropping steadily.  Just don't know if a brown lawn would come back if it goes totally dry.

Yes, the lawn is basically going dormant if it goes all brown.  It could probably be totally brown for a month or so and still be fine and come back again with some rain and or irrigation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yes, the lawn is basically going dormant if it goes all brown.  It could probably be totally brown for a month or so and still be fine and come back again with some rain and or irrigation.

Totally agree, I’ll let part of mine, if not all, go dormant in dry spells and it has always bounced back. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

16 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

agree with this the only thing to be concerned about is insect (grubs) damage. its hard to tell the difference between dormant and damage from grubs attacking the root system. - you can have both.  I noticed some folks talking about japanese beetles (adult stage of white grubs). signs you have grubs - the grass lays over or skunks digging to eat the grubs.

Just now, S&P said:

agree with this the only thing to be concerned about is insect (grubs) damage. its hard to tell the difference between dormant and damage from grubs attacking the root system. - you can have both.  I noticed some folks talking about japanese beetles (adult stage of white grubs). signs you have grubs - the grass lays over or skunks digging to eat the grubs.

Right, I guess I should have added that a brown discolored lawn could also be disease and or grub damage which is less likely to come back than drought dormancy. Grub damage is pretty easy to identify as the lawn will be able to be pulled up off the ground like a piece a sod.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers to my brown lawn question.  As some of you know 5 years ago we lifted and moved our house to pour a new foundation.  All the great soil and lawns got destroyed and bulldozed.  After the job we brought in loam but it is only perhaps 3 or 4" deep.  Then hydroseeded.  Now to keep the lawn green I have to water like crazy and fertilize which I never had to do before with the deep, rich old farm soil.  I was just worried that if I let the lawn go it would never come back and would have to tear it up and hydroseed which I never want to do again.  So its good to know that I can just let it brown out now.  Hopefully next week we will get some rain to the rescue.  4.5" or so of rain since May 1rst and a super heat wave doesn't make for a great lawn.

22 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thanks for the answers to my brown lawn question.  As some of you know 5 years ago we lifted and moved our house to pour a new foundation.  All the great soil and lawns got destroyed and bulldozed.  After the job we brought in loam but it is only perhaps 3 or 4" deep.  Then hydroseeded.  Now to keep the lawn green I have to water like crazy and fertilize which I never had to do before with the deep, rich old farm soil.  I was just worried that if I let the lawn go it would never come back and would have to tear it up and hydroseed which I never want to do again.  So its good to know that I can just let it brown out now.  Hopefully next week we will get some rain to the rescue.  4.5" or so of rain since May 1rst and a super heat wave doesn't make for a great lawn.

I'd take that, at UUU have had 1.6" since June 1 and about 2" since the middle of May

5 hours ago, S&P said:

I'd take that, at UUU have had 1.6" since June 1 and about 2" since the middle of May

Wow,  that is dry.  Just took a picture of the daylilies/hydrangea Garden as compared to last year.  Hydrangeas have not bloomed yet.  Many daylilies branches are going brown and its trying to put on a partial show.  Note as compared to last summer when everything was lush and green.  

DL1.jpg

Summer 2018.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 4:52 PM, Lava Rock said:

Ha. This isn't so bad for July 12. Full redo is in order this Fall.

capture1.jpg

Local landscaper came by and had a few suggestions for our back lawn. They suggest putting in a flower garden with shrubs, BB bushes, etc in the area around and in front of the oak tree. They would build up that area with topsoil and very small retaining wall, plant the bushes then add mulch. Seems like a good idea. Their concern is that if we go for just grass around the oak, it will eventually erode away again due to the oak sucking down so many nutrients away from the grass. Seems to make sense.

58 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Local landscaper came by and had a few suggestions for our back lawn. They suggest putting in a flower garden with shrubs, BB bushes, etc in the area around and in front of the oak tree. They would build up that area with topsoil and very small retaining wall, plant the bushes then add mulch. Seems like a good idea. Their concern is that if we go for just grass around the oak, it will eventually erode away again due to the oak sucking down so many nutrients away from the grass. Seems to make sense.

Money being no issue, that is the way to go I think. Will look nice under the Oak and you wont have that moonscape/desert look anymore.

54 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Yea. Kind of like the mulch area in front of the driveway but with a decent shrub. I think come spring you’ll love the progress. 

My hillbilly lawn needed a mowing after all the rain we've had lately. Not sure why the grass won't grow in this area...the soil is actually quite dark and organic here compared to other areas where it's sandier. I seed it, then it sprouts, and then it withers away and dies after a few weeks. I'm about to give up. The "hill" in the background is doing better even though the soil is sandier there.

I need to get those rocks out eventually, but for now I'm focusing on the big picture and not the details. I have my mower at 3 and 5/8" so the blade goes over the rocks. 

rsz_img_0749.jpg

11 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

fargin’. crabgrass has taken over my lawn. Heavy, heavy dislike

This stuff at Home Depot works great for me. Just mix it in a sprayer. Takes out tons of other weeds as well and doesn't seem to hurt the actual grass.

ortho-lawn-weed-killer-990601015-64_1000.jpg

17 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

My hillbilly lawn needed a mowing after all the rain we've had lately. Not sure why the grass won't grow in this area...the soil is actually quite dark and organic here compared to other areas where it's sandier. I seed it, then it sprouts, and then it withers away and dies after a few weeks. I'm about to give up. The "hill" in the background is doing better even though the soil is sandier there.

I need to get those rocks out eventually, but for now I'm focusing on the big picture and not the details. I have my mower at 3 and 5/8" so the blade goes over the rocks. 

rsz_img_0749.jpg

That's a lot of rock in that small area.