SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

Anyone know this one?

31D7A193-A8D9-4E10-927D-F45671307F3B.jpeg

Looks kind of willow-ish, though that family has so many similar species that it's hard to be sure w/o a better look - tree or shrub, bark character, etc.

I agree that B-Z's specimen is probably yellow birch, slight possibility of black birch.  Try a scratch and sniff of bark on a twig - mild wintergreen=YB, strong wintergreen=BB, no wintergreen=idk.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Looks kind of willow-ish, though that family has so many similar species that it's hard to be sure w/o a better look - tree or shrub, bark character, etc.

I agree that B-Z's specimen is probably yellow birch, slight possibility of black birch.  Try a scratch and sniff of bark on a twig - mild wintergreen=YB, strong wintergreen=BB, no wintergreen=idk.

I’ll go out and get a few more pics. It’s growing out of the edge of the woods so it’s lanky and reaching for sun.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Bark, branching, more leaves, size comparison to my hand. It seems ash-like with the leaflets.

1E2AED18-A0E5-400A-A38C-CBF5E7F268A9.jpeg

EB72EDAB-EC85-4778-8BAD-7892BFA50FD0.jpeg

A799D8F6-8CAC-4C80-9448-16936B267D23.jpeg

0F2E79B8-344C-4A9F-9FD1-19E8F8F2DE65.jpeg

46 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Bark, branching, more leaves, size comparison to my hand. It seems ash-like with the leaflets.

1E2AED18-A0E5-400A-A38C-CBF5E7F268A9.jpeg

EB72EDAB-EC85-4778-8BAD-7892BFA50FD0.jpeg

A799D8F6-8CAC-4C80-9448-16936B267D23.jpeg

0F2E79B8-344C-4A9F-9FD1-19E8F8F2DE65.jpeg

I don't believe it's Ash. Ash has leaves that are directly opposite of each other.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Maybe pu$$y or grey willow?

friggin word filter...lol

It definitely looks like a willow, species unknown.  When I had dendrology (tree ID) at U. Maine, we had to identify down to species level except for willows, as the many species often can only be ID'ed with magnification and much experience.  There's only 2 willow species I can ID reliably, the first being obvious.  I don't think yours is the feline variety (take that, filter!) though a check in the weeks after equinox would tell for sure - I think you'd have already noticed the furry buds.  The only native to Maine willow that gets to "tree" size is black willow, often seen along swampy waterways and the 2nd I can ID.  I highly doubt that's what you have there.

Willows are very tough to ID...as are the various species of Hawthorne. It seems like there are dozens of species in each category, and they all look alike. With the exception of White Ash, which is easy to ID, ash trees are a bit of a challenge too. 

I didn't think yellow birch occurred naturally in the dry, sandy soils of SE MA. You typically see them in cooler, moist areas and often along stream beds or on north facing hillsides in association with hemlock, spruce, or fir. There is some yellow birch in coastal SW CT where I grew up in the wetlands just inland from LI Sound, but the soil there is not as sandy and is richer than that of SE MA. Yellow birch is probably the number one must abundant broadleaf tree on my VT property save for perhaps the red maple. 

Sweet/black birch is more tolerant of warm, dry conditions than yellow birch but the bark doesn't peel. It seems much more common in coastal SNE than yellow birch. I initially thought some type of cherry from the picture, but the leaves are definitely more like a birch. The bark doesn't look quite like the young yellow birches around my house...looks darker and the lenticels are longer and brighter than those on the yellow birch. It could be some type of cherry, but your guess is as good as mine. 

10 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Willows are very tough to ID...as are the various species of Hawthorne. It seems like there are dozens of species in each category, and they all look alike. With the exception of White Ash, which is easy to ID, ash trees are a bit of a challenge too. 

I didn't think yellow birch occurred naturally in the dry, sandy soils of SE MA. You typically see them in cooler, moist areas and often along stream beds or on north facing hillsides in association with hemlock, spruce, or fir. There is some yellow birch in coastal SW CT where I grew up in the wetlands just inland from LI Sound, but the soil there is not as sandy and is richer than that of SE MA. Yellow birch is probably the number one must abundant broadleaf tree on my VT property save for perhaps the red maple. 

Sweet/black birch is more tolerant of warm, dry conditions than yellow birch but the bark doesn't peel. It seems much more common in coastal SNE than yellow birch. I initially thought some type of cherry from the picture, but the leaves are definitely more like a birch. The bark doesn't look quite like the young yellow birches around my house...looks darker and the lenticels are longer and brighter than those on the yellow birch. It could be some type of cherry, but your guess is as good as mine. 

Nitpicky comments: 
I find the differences between green and white ash to be rather subtle, exacerbated by the fact that green is uncommon in Maine, though it's probably the Fraxinus most commonly planted in urban locations.  (This causes more ID difficulties, as urban trees grow in far different environmental conditions than forest trees, and thus will often look quite different from their woodland brethren.)   Brown ash is markedly different from either, especially bark (color and texture) and buds, but also leaflet number and arrangement.  Bring in the western US ashes and I'm lost.  ;)

YB likes a moist cool site, will tolerate a somewhat poorly drained soil, and warm-dry can be damaging.  One theory for the 1940s birch dieback (mainly in YB) was a multi-year warm trend that weakened trees enough to allow the bronze birch borer to finish the job.

In my former NNJ habitat, black was the most common birch, except for early successional stands where gray was more abundant.  YB was rare and PB essentially absent other than as planted.  (We always referred to GB as "white birch.")  BB thrived on well drained soils but did not compete well on droughty sites.  Of course, my NNJ home was about 10 miles north of the terminal moraine and over granitic bedrock, so that "droughty" meant thin-to-ledge, prime chestnut oak country.  That said, BB is a central hardwood species and YB a northern hardwood, so the former does like a bit more warmth.

• Like 1

I'll take a look at the bark again tonight.  I do think it is peeling so that would confirm a birch to me.  The area in which this tree grows is shaded for 50-70% of the day.  It only receives AM sun.  Underneath the canopy there I have pink lady slippers  come up annually.  There are ferns and wild blueberry shrubs.

On 7/4/2018 at 8:06 AM, tamarack said:

Chewing black birch twigs is a quick way to quench thirst and freshen breath. 

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sniffing trees ftl. 

Man, my lawn is so brutal. I may just go artificial grass this fall and save myself money and pain.

Kevin would love my lawn. I let the clover flower and drop seed during the heat wave. Clover as far as the eye can see soon!

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Kevin would love my lawn. I let the clover flower and drop seed during the heat wave. Clover as far as the eye can see soon!

I'm trying to spread the clover on my lawn; in fact I wish my entire lawn was clover.  Nice, hearty green that's essentially drought resistant.  It keeps the grass that's inter-mingled nice and healthy, too.  The honey bees love it as well. Win-win-win.