Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Unfortunately no. Our well water has high levels of uranium which we have filtration for, but we also have radon in water vapor which is also mitigated. the system is only capable of treating ~50gal at a time before recharge. Using this water for irrigation would overload the sys. I have valves in place to bypass sys, but doing that brings the radon vapors back into the shower water, dishwasher, washer, etc. Only way to do it right is to drill another well ($5,000), then install sprinklers (~$3-4K). We're going to redo the other side of the house this Fall which will be $3-4K. We've spent so much money on lawn stuff and to see it look the way it does feels like we threw a bunch of money away. We could bring in sod and that would probably die too.:lol:

Fuk the lawn, Should have snow checked 2 new doo's................:sled:

8 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I knew this going in, but expected some growth. In contrast, check out how good the lawn looked last july. This was ~1month after hydroseed. After that it went downhill.

lawn.jpg

I think I mentioned this last year when you did the seeding, but I don't think much if any KBG came in last year. I would have to go back into the thread to see exactly, but that's not what a month old KBG lawn looks like.  You had a bunch of wide bladed grass something coming up. KBG at 1 month would be very short and wispy thin and probably some bare patches in the lawn. The color is off too...I think that is mostly grassy weeds or annual grasses unfortunately. If there was any bluegrass, the weeds dominated and shaded it out and took up most soil/root space...weeds need alot less water than bluegrass to establish, that's for sure.

This is a 1 month old bluegrass lawn...now, all yards and soils are different, but it should look something like this i would think. I wouldn't try another lawn unless you can figure out a water solution also honestly.

IMG_1578.thumb.jpg.db6a69ef35cb28af6510f356c7267660.jpg

9 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I think I mentioned this last year when you did the seeding, but I don't think much if any KBG came in last year. I would have to go back into the thread to see exactly, but that's not what a month old KBG lawn looks like.  You had a bunch of wide bladed grass something coming up. KBG at 1 month would be very short and wispy thin and probably some bare patches in the lawn. The color is off too...I think that is mostly grassy weeds or annual grasses unfortunately. If there was any bluegrass, the weeds dominated and shaded it out and took up most soil/root space...weeds need alot less water than bluegrass to establish, that's for sure.

This is a 1 month old bluegrass lawn...now, all yards and soils are different, but it should look something like this i would think. I wouldn't try another lawn unless you can figure out a water solution also honestly.

IMG_1578.thumb.jpg.db6a69ef35cb28af6510f356c7267660.jpg

you've got a good eye, but to clarify, the pic is from last July, 1 month after we hydroseeded. It wasn't until late Sept that I slit seeded using KBG. It grew in spots (not everywhere) to about 0.5", but that was it. I contacted the company I bought it from and they wanted to sell me their ferilizer, but I had already laid down my own fert. Ini any case, once the snow melted and April was here. the grass looked the same, but then started to yellow and that was the end. All we've got now is whatever grass was in the hydroseed, weeds and clover.

20 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Your right, That area of his is to exposed to the sun.

But once it's established (ie- thicker lawn) it would do ok right? I mean, in times of drought, I'd expect some dormancy and drying out, but I'm envisioning this with a much thicker lawn. I say this because our existing, older lawn closer to the house does dry out too with limited rain, but it's quite thick and bounces back. The hard part is getting the thicker lawn to establish. I think I goofed and should have had underground sprinklers in place before we did the hydroseed. Mother nature hasn't delivered much liquid over the past three summers.

37 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

But once it's established (ie- thicker lawn) it would do ok right? I mean, in times of drought, I'd expect some dormancy and drying out, but I'm envisioning this with a much thicker lawn. I say this because our existing, older lawn closer to the house does dry out too with limited rain, but it's quite thick and bounces back. The hard part is getting the thicker lawn to establish. I think I goofed and should have had underground sprinklers in place before we did the hydroseed. Mother nature hasn't delivered much liquid over the past three summers.

Yeah, Your issues is getting it established, Unless this was a real wet spring/summer (Which its not) You would have to irrigate on a regular basis which you said is near impossible to do, Tough task ahead for you i believe.

Lawn is best yet since I moved in, we’ll see how long it lasts with the dry pattern though.  I treated the bad, drought spots in Fall with Lesco seed and the Scotts lawn soil. It came in great this Spring. Lava, do what you can in Sept. A good seed will germinate more in Spring I think, esp on south side of lawn. But make sure you water it well in fall and spring. 

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Saw this tree on my road tonight and grabbed a pic from the truck. The leaves looked interesting...5502E926-0021-4013-84BD-9CBF5C3F706D.jpeg

Is this some variety of chestnut?

Brian,  looks like it could be an American Chestnut.  Maybe the parent tree was killed with the blight and this is an off shoot?   Here's a picture from the web, my leaves look like this too

american-chestnut.jpg

Wow. Pretty cool.  Does that tree look large enough to be dropping seeds yet? Maybe I'll have to take a walk by there and see if there's any saplings around. Maybe they'll let me root prune one and then transplant it in the fall. I wonder if the owners even know what it is.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Wow. Pretty cool.  Does that tree look large enough to be dropping seeds yet? Maybe I'll have to take a walk by there and see if there's any saplings around. Maybe they'll let me root prune one and then transplant it in the fall. I wonder if the owners even know what it is.

Very cool!  If it was to drop seeds you would see the pods growing on some of the branches.  They flower white in May and now my hybrid has the pods growing that will be seeds.  In the meantime prune a few branches and try to get them to root.  Now I'll be asking you for one!

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Very cool!  If it was to drop seeds you would see the pods growing on some of the branches.  They flower white in May and now my hybrid has the pods growing that will be seeds.  In the meantime prune a few branches and try to get them to root.  Now I'll be asking you for one!

Edit,  I bet 9 to 1 that the owners don't know its a chestnut.  Most people just think its an ugly tree and if its in the way would prune it down.  Amazing that you found this right in your hood!

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Edit,  I bet 9 to 1 that the owners don't know its a chestnut.  Most people just think its an ugly tree and if its in the way would prune it down.  Amazing that you found this right in your hood!

Yeah I can literally walk up the hill to it. North side of the hill like me except up around 775ft. Who knows...maybe there's more up there?

I found the location on streetview and there was a lot of brush around it whenever that time was so it looks like they knew what to keep since the chestnut is front and center in the pic I took.

https://goo.gl/maps/H8wvA6UvNE12

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, dendrite said:

I'd guess that it's not big enough, and wxeyeNH's reply is on target.  Some chestnuts planted on the Hebron public lot (about 10 miles NW of dryslot) had nuts when about 4" diameter and less than 20 feet tall, so the one in the pic won't need to get all that much bigger.  (Alas, all those older Hebron trees succumbed to the blight, and the 10 seedlings that I helped plant nearby some 15 years ago are apparently gone as well. )

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's unfortunate that he'e dying but good luck proving that is was the glyphosate that caused his cancer.  The evidence is stacked against him but the shear amount that we was using/exposed to may be the overriding factor.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What's the tree that is currently blooming and has leaves the size of elephant ears?  Can't for the life of me fine out online.

Omg i was wondering this yesterday. There is one up here on rt 3that is HUGE and full of white flowers. 

Northern catalpa maybe?

Yeah, that looks to be it.  The trees grow tall too, 50-60' with huge leaves and white flowers.  The bark is coarse, much like an oak tree.  The appear all over the place around here this time of year as the blooms come out.  Quite stunning.

10 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah, that looks to be it.  The trees grow tall too, 50-60' with huge leaves and white flowers.  The bark is coarse, much like an oak tree.  The appear all over the place around here this time of year as the blooms come out.  Quite stunning.

Lisa snapped a pic of the one on rt 3 tonight. Saw one in MHT today too, but it had already lost most of its flowers. 

53376B56-54AE-4C3E-9B36-380F439B3265.jpeg

1BCB6B89-9A5D-4201-837C-99B7B6BBED8F.jpeg