Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

On 5/24/2018 at 7:28 PM, Lava Rock said:

Anyone know what these lovely weeds are?
IMG_20180524_192052.jpegMVIMG_20180524_192017.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 5/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, Lava Rock said:

Does the lescos phase 2 have clover killer?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just let it go.  What is this, year 4?  The weeds aren't going to lose this battle.  All you're going to do is dump even more chemicals directly into the Portland-area drinking water supply.  

I fully expected N ORH county to get hit hard by the gypsy moths this year... they had been moving steadily north the last two years.  We had some last year, but nothing major.

So far this season, I have only seen a few caterpillars, less than last year in fact.

Delayed? Or did the fungus get them last year?

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I fully expected N ORH county to get hit hard by the gypsy moths this year... they had been moving steadily north the last two years.  We had some last year, but nothing major.

So far this season, I have only seen a few caterpillars, less than last year in fact.

Delayed? Or did the fungus get them last year?

I went into the Quabbin Reservoir last year and it was absolutely decimated.  Worst I had seen since the outbreak in the 80's.  I live about 5 miles away to the east and it wasn't nearly as bad...couldn't believe the difference in destruction in such a short distance.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are going to get crushed this year here, as I've already noticed the oak leaves getting holed out.  

• Like 1

Am I right to assume that grapes should be fine here planted in raised beds? My concern is in winter with bed soil temps getting more extreme. They’ll have all warm season to root down into the clay, but was still curious. I’d probably just do 6” or 8” high ones. Am I good or just plant them directly into the ground?

49 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We vino?

Maybe someday. I'm not sure how well concord and mars grapes are for wine making. I'm hoping the vines will provide shade for the birds on the south side while giving us a little fruit as well.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Maybe someday. I'm not sure how well concord and mars grapes are for wine making. I'm hoping the vines will provide shade for the birds on the south side while giving us a little fruit as well.

Upstate NY does a lot of wine making with vitis labrusca varietals (like Concord). I know I've had Catawba and Niagara wines.

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Ever check out that little winery in Meredith? Of course in NH, you can't really make the wines you have from CA so they resort to local fruit and what not. Still good though. 

39 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ever check out that little winery in Meredith? Of course in NH, you can't really make the wines you have from CA so they resort to local fruit and what not. Still good though. 

Hermit Woods? Not yet.

I've had Candia Woods, Zorvino, and Sweet Baby Vineyard. Like you said, mostly the fruit stuff like blueberry wines.

Just now, dendrite said:

Hermit Woods? Not yet.

I've had Candia Woods, Zorvino, and Sweet Baby Vineyard. Like you said, mostly the fruit stuff like blueberry wines.

Yeah that one. Not bad. I'm not into the fruit wines, but it's always fun tasting the different wines.

Any tips on planting yellow/river birch? From what I've read it is recommended to plant them in moist, open fields. That fits my backyard pretty well. I guess they have an aggressive rooting structure so keep it away from the house, well, septic, etc.

Most of the potted trees I see come with the desired clumps of 3 already, but I've seen some here and there with a single trunk. Do the singles tend to grow larger and healthier than the clumped versions?

53 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Any tips on planting yellow/river birch? From what I've read it is recommended to plant them in moist, open fields. That fits my backyard pretty well. I guess they have an aggressive rooting structure so keep it away from the house, well, septic, etc.

Most of the potted trees I see come with the desired clumps of 3 already, but I've seen some here and there with a single trunk. Do the singles tend to grow larger and healthier than the clumped versions?

I don’t think there is a noticeable growth difference. Some say the clump gets bigger, faster. But how would you tell? It’s more about the look. The clumped version is more popular for landcaping, it looks more natural because that’s how they typically grow in nature. You actually can place them close to homes and driveways....they just dont provide shade. I plan on planting one or two next season, they are beauties.

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I don’t think there is a noticeable growth difference. Some say the clump gets bigger, faster. But how would you tell? It’s more about the look. The clumped version is more popular for landcaping, it looks more natural because that’s how they typically grow in nature. You actually can place them close to homes and driveways....they just dont provide shade. I plan on planting one or two next season, they are beauties.

I have a nice one near work. Want. 

FADBC5AA-FEFE-47C7-ADF9-1F2FEA39FDF5.jpeg

6C545AED-9199-4544-B56A-34EC925E3723.jpeg