Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

4 hours ago, Lighteye said:

When do you guys think it's ideal to overseed/and seed large bare areas? Im ready to put down lesco shady select seed but its still too cold correct?

Im in central CT.

The ground isn't warm enough IMO.  Even cool season grasses need soils temps of at least 50 degrees to get going.

9 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Heavy heavy yard work today. Valleys FTW right now with regard to greenup/perennials popping up/etc compared to the mountain towns still flicking snow fleas off their snowpack. Nice late season skiing though.

Mitch still buried at 2k while at 1k in the valley south hills getting pretty green.

rps20180421_214038.thumb.jpg.24a8487497fd798f785e010633907cbb.jpg

Nice digs. 

It's a whole lot greener up there than down here.  That said, I think that once things do click in we'll see one of the fastest (albeit latest) green-ups ever.  To that end, I think I'm going to be seeding a larger area of the front lawn today.  I'll be doing so with a little sadness as methinks this will be our last spring at the Pit.

36.6* off of 34*

26 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Nice digs. 

It's a whole lot greener up there than down here.  That said, I think that once things do click in we'll see one of the fastest (albeit latest) green-ups ever.  To that end, I think I'm going to be seeding a larger area of the front lawn today.  I'll be doing so with a little sadness as methinks this will be our last spring at the Pit.

36.6* off of 34*

Where to?

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Where to?

It's very much up in the air.  My daughter will be attending Tabor next year, and the sense is we'd like to be closer, especially with me spending a lot of time away.

So, my wife is looking for something new which will determine it.  It's possible we'd be over to ORH land.  We had lived in the Tatnuc area when we were first married about 15 years ago.  I could see us going back to something on the west side if things work out job-wise.  

April 22nd and really no signs of spring up here.  Grass is brown.  Red maples are not even swelling yet.  Forsythia look like they did in January.  A few blades of green grass showing up on south facing lawns.  Really only loss our snowcover 2 days ago so I suspect things will move into high gear over the next couple of days.

Still waiting for ice out on Newfound Lake.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

April 22nd and really no signs of spring up here.  Grass is brown.  Red maples are not even swelling yet.  Forsythia look like they did in January.  A few blades of green grass showing up on south facing lawns.  Really only loss our snowcover 2 days ago so I suspect things will move into high gear over the next couple of days.

It’s picking up here. Buds are starting to swell and I have green grass starting. I still have some frozen ground in the shaded spots. Someone at Lowe’s left the tomato plants outside last night....oopsy.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

It’s picking up here. Buds are starting to swell and I have green grass starting. I still have some frozen ground in the shaded spots. Someone at Lowe’s left the tomato plants outside last night....oopsy.

Just this afternoon that the grass is starting to show signs of awakening.  When I lived down in Metro Boston and certainly growing up in Baltimore, springs and falls lasted longer.  It seems as you move towards the poles the in-between seasons are shorter.  Up here spring is a 4 or perhaps 6 weeks deal, the same for fall.  Is it my imagination?  Probably not as climatologically our weekly temperatures rise or fall very quickly with the sun angle and length of daylight.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just this afternoon that the grass is starting to show signs of awakening.  When I lived down in Metro Boston and certainly growing up in Baltimore, springs and falls lasted longer.  It seems as you move towards the poles the in-between seasons are shorter.  Up here spring is a 4 or perhaps 6 weeks deal, the same for fall.  Is it my imagination?  Probably not as climatologically our weekly temperatures rise or fall very quickly with the sun angle and length of daylight.

LOL.  We just got home from doing some exploring in ORH land and I said "wow, things started to get green" as we pulled into the driveway.  Meanwhile, the last patch of snow is still lingering at a house at the bottom of my road.

55.8* off of 57.2*.

Ice out on Raymond Pond, which is a small pond, but still latest I've seen it go out since we lived here, 6 years now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yesterday was awesome. Beauty weather with the day off so I got tons of yardwork done. Ripped out nasty bushes, some thorn bushes, around the back deck and front walkway. I like my area simple, not overdone with crap bushes. Next weekend the plan is to plant 6 Aborvitaes around the back walkway. Maybe 2 in the front by the steps. Fill in some of the space with small accent plants, but not too much. 

I also was able to lay down the JG magical stuff. The yard needs alot of work....seeing very weak areas with the weeds. Thought it was OK couple weeks ago but the ugly stuff is becoming visible, and it makes me angry. Need to let the Magical do its thing for a couple weeks before I attack it with the weed and feed. 

Good times.

Today is ice out for Belgrade's Long Pond; yesterday's low 60s made that inevitable and today's mid-60s will finish the job, except for the odd shaded little cove.  Had a 44° range yesterday, 63/19, almost certainly the season's final sub-20 temp, then dropped back into the 20s overnight.  Tomorrow will likely be the first day since Nov. 6 to remain above 32, after 169 consecutive 32 or lower. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yesterday was awesome. Beauty weather with the day off so I got tons of yardwork done. Ripped out nasty bushes, some thorn bushes, around the back deck and front walkway. I like my area simple, not overdone with crap bushes. Next weekend the plan is to plant 6 Aborvitaes around the back walkway. Maybe 2 in the front by the steps. Fill in some of the space with small accent plants, but not too much. 

I also was able to lay down the JG magical stuff. The yard needs alot of work....seeing very weak areas with the weeds. Thought it was OK couple weeks ago but the ugly stuff is becoming visible, and it makes me angry. Need to let the Magical do its thing for a couple weeks before I attack it with the weed and feed. 

Good times.

No golf? WTF?

5 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What are the weeds that grow in early Spring?  Seems like my yard is infested with them.  Symmetrical with a small with little flower.  Want to say they germinate in the Fall but I did put down weed preventer in late fall last year but that seems to not have worked.

Yeah..I see those too. Almost like little tiny closer leaves with a white daily-like flower. I have a few, my neighbor has tons. 

What are the weeds that grow in early Spring?  Seems like my yard is infested with them.  Symmetrical with a small with little flower.  Want to say they germinate in the Fall but I did put down weed preventer in late fall last year but that seems to not have worked.

Pics? Could be a fall germinator that got through your fall weed barrier or germinated before your drop. Hard to say without knowing what it is.

Is the little flower purpleish? I have them around and I’m pulling them out one by one in disgust. 

on a side note, anyone have suggestions to best keep grass, weeds, etc from popping threw a stone walkway? I’ll have to take pics but besides spray each piece with a weed killer....is there anything I could do for the entire walkway to kill and prevent constant pop ups? Like a general application of something...

9 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Is the little flower purpleish? I have them around and I’m pulling them out one by one in disgust. 

on a side note, anyone have suggestions to best keep grass, weeds, etc from popping threw a stone walkway? I’ll have to take pics but besides spray each piece with a weed killer....is there anything I could do for the entire walkway to kill and prevent constant pop ups? Like a general application of something...

Those are like little tufts of grass with a purple or lavender like flower? I have a few of those. They always seem to come out now. 

9 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Pics? Could be a fall germinator that got through your fall weed barrier or germinated before your drop. Hard to say without knowing what it is.

15 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah..I see those too. Almost like little tiny closer leaves with a white daily-like flower. I have a few, my neighbor has tons. 

I know they are fall germinating.  Swore I dropped fall treatment before.  They are everywhere.  Would take a day to pull them all.

57710154-988D-4AE1-8014-9E6E95B53D1F.thumb.jpeg.64e29778a7338d68fce47c0af38d1d80.jpeg