Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

8 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

You really should test the soil, testers are cheap.  Everyone just assumes because you have moss you need lime and that's not always the case.

Yep, exactly.  Without a soil test, no way to know for sure.  Generally speaking soil in the northeast is acidic, but doesn't mean every single yard is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brewbeer said:

So how much lime to folks put down?  The instructions on the bag indicated that a "maintenance" level of lime application is 20-40 pounds per 1,000 sq.ft.  Thoughts?

That's probably dolomitic lime. If you do need lime you can with Calcitic Lime which is normally more appropriate for home lawns, which is much less # per 1000sq ft.   The per bag price might be higher, but it covers much more sq footage.

Like IrishRob said, a soil test would truly confirm if you need it or not.

Here is an example or a bag that covers 5000sq ft.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2783785&KPID=3850374&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Bags_(Soil)&pla=pla_3850374&k_clickid=1466c706-baa0-411a-8998-becba916b7c1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkMbZ8-St2gIVHrjACh3nHwDZEAYYAyABEgL8AfD_BwE

• Like 1

I finished yard cleanup and raked around the perimeter and trees. Looks like the lawn is in decent shape from previous owner. Going to lay down the JG stuff later then pretty much to just watch it this growing season. No need to overdue until I can spot the flaws, which will be addressed in the fall and heading into next season.

16 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lesco starter fert and dimension dropped today prior to icestorm and cold rains Monday 

dropped dimension w/ fert yesterday, did a first cut as well, although wasn't necessary

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Soil temps up here may not be ideal for fert this weekend, but I don't want to miss the window and wait another week. With some mild temps coming next week, would next weekend be too late?

when your forsythia bloom you are good to go. based on your location, i am assuming that has not happened yet

20 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Soil temps up here may not be ideal for fert this weekend, but I don't want to miss the window and wait another week. With some mild temps coming next week, would next weekend be too late?

I assume you mean the window on crabgrass preventer.  Crabgrass seeds need at least three consecutive nights of soil temps of at least 50 degrees.  Even with those conditions there is no guarantee that they will germinate but they certainly can so I work under that assumption that they will once the soil gets to those temps.  The soil temps down here in the Hudson Valley are still in the low 40's so I still haven't put anything down yet.  Now someone smarter can correct me but the only harm I'm aware of in putting it down too early is it loses its effectiveness before the crabgrass growing season is over.  For example, I think that the Lesco with Dimension is effective for preventing crabgrass for about three to four months depending on rainfall and if the ground is disturbed.  In my case, if I can get fours months of protection and apply it now that gets me into the middle of August, crabgrass can certainly still germinate around here in the middle of August.  So the later that I can apply in the spring the better off I am.  Some people will do a second application of Lesco with Dimension later in the spring or even summer so they extend the effectiveness but personally I do not like using that much fertilizer.        

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I assume you mean the window on crabgrass preventer.  Crabgrass seeds need at least three consecutive nights of soil temps of at least 50 degrees.  Even with those conditions there is no guarantee that they will germinate but they certainly can so I work under that assumption that they will once the soil gets to those temps.  The soil temps down here in the Hudson Valley are still in the low 40's so I still haven't put anything down yet.  Now someone smarter can correct me but the only harm I'm aware of in putting it down too early is it loses its effectiveness before the crabgrass growing season is over.  For example, I think that the Lesco with Dimension is effective for preventing crabgrass for about three to four months depending on rainfall and if the ground is disturbed.  In my case, if I can get fours months of protection and apply it now that gets me into the middle of August, crabgrass can certainly still germinate around here in the middle of August.  So the later that I can apply in the spring the better off I am.  Some people will do a second application of Lesco with Dimension later in the spring or even summer so they extend the effectiveness but personally I do not like using that much fertilizer.        

this, the local Site One guys recommend it as part of their season long schedule, so i'll put another down in May. have done this for a few years and never have a problem with crab grass while my neighbors lawn's are full of it. Of course they sell more this way.Forsynthia's in full bloom here.