Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You loosten soil, dethatch and scratch the soil over. Apparently some people just don’t have the stamina. Way better than blowpack.

If you have .25 acres or something, I get it. My mom used to rake her 1 acre property cuz it was good exercise....But I can think of better things to do for exercise, and it wouldnt take me 8 hours. 

9 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

If you have .25 acres or something, I get it. My mom used to rake her 1 acre property cuz it was good exercise....But I can think of better things to do for exercise, and it wouldnt take me 8 hours. 

I have .4 acres. If you have a big one, you probably just want to rake the real tough spots like where you have moss etc. Moss needs to go.

When I bought my house in 2014 I saw how my yard had potential but it was also neglected for many years. The previous that lived here since the 60's actually had their daughter go missing (fairly well-known case around here) and from what I hear they weren't super motivated to maintain things outside. 

Since moving in I've raked the yard out every spring, cut back trees overhanging the yard, lesco, core aerated, and overseeded every year. So things are getting much better. No more crabgrass and the grass is thick enough to give my commercial mower some challenges in spots. This year it's a war on clover and this other weed that has really broad leaves and deep roots, the name escapes me right now. Once I get things where I like them I'll do my spring cleanups with the backpack. Right now raking helps dethatch more aggressively.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Better than clover , dirt and chicken peckers and soil moisture probes all over lawn 

:lol:

my lawn actually looks better since having the chooks. They eat the weeds and give me free fert. 

My project this spring is cold hardy bamboo. They’re going to have their own asian jungle grove to free range through. 

Just now, dendrite said:

:lol:

my lawn actually looks better since having the chooks. They eat the weeds and give me free fert. 

My project this spring is cold hardy bamboo. They’re going to have their own asian jungle grove to free range through. 

Bamboo, awful.  That **** if left unchecked will spread like a weed.  I've seen groves of it around here from neglect.

35 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Bamboo, awful.  That **** if left unchecked will spread like a weed.  I've seen groves of it around here from neglect.

The clumping stuff is fine. The running can get a little invasive if you don't watch the rhizomes. Most of the crap people call bamboo around here is actually that nasty japanese knotweed.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The clumping stuff is fine. The running can get a little invasive if you don't watch the rhizomes. Most of the crap people call bamboo around here is actually that nasty japanese knotweed.

Not around here.  I've seen areas taken over by the clumping variety that you posted the link on.  10-20' tall and over areas of a small house lot 10-20k SF.

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not around here.  I've seen areas taken over by the clumping variety that you posted the link on.  10-20' tall and over areas of a small house lot 10-20k SF.

That has to be the hardy running bamboo. Most of the cold hardy clumpers are 12' or less in our climo zones. The runners are 30-35ft down in zone 7, but 10-20' up here.