• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

Well as we wind down another snowy winter season, many here are yearning for warm , humid weather to getting out and taking back their lawns. Spring cleanups , leaf blowing, mowing, dropping that first beautiful round of Lesco to get out lawns jump started. Some even are getting excited about monitoring their soil temps and letting the chickens and cocks flail around the yard. 

Whatever your lawn and garden fancy , this is the place for it.

All lawns all the time . 

We lawn.

Good timing. After 5 years, I am finally going to start over on the front side lawn area. Last year we did the back, but the front needs fresh loam and seed. Here are my ideas/options:

1. Bring in 4" loam and hand seed with high quality KBG. On the slopes, use straw netting to prevent washoff. Spread straw elsewhere. The only issue is we get a lot of wind in the Spring and the straw may easily blow away

2. Bring in 4" loam then hydroseed. Still use straw netting on slopes.

I'm a bit torn on which option to go with . #2 is more costly and the grass seed quality is not as good, but it's more likely to stay in place and retain moisture during germination. I also thought about ripping all existing sod out, but was told that wasn't necessary.

lawn torch.jpg

I’ve been out of the lawn game since I moved out my rents in 2005. Finally bought a house ,with 2 acres, though half of it is wooded....so I have an acre of grass, some moss areas near the long driveway. 

The lawn looks in decent shape but I certainly want to make it stand out. My neighbor puts down lime in the early going but I’ve never been big on lime. Should I do it? 

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’ve been out of the lawn game since I moved out my rents in 2005. Finally bought a house ,with 2 acres, though half of it is wooded....so I have an acre of grass, some moss areas near the long driveway. 

The lawn looks in decent shape but I certainly want to make it stand out. My neighbor puts down lime in the early going but I’ve never been big on lime. Should I do it? 

If you’ve got a lot of shade and trees then the soil is acidic. The presence of moss confirms that. I would def drop lime ASAP . Use the pellitized lime vs. the powder 

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The cleaning process this year is certainly the most time consuming yet. Heavy heavy debris. 

Disastah.  Hopefully this weekend offers up some free time for me to do a cleanup.  SHould drop 1st round of fertilizer.  Seeing some Forsythias blooming.  Crocuses are up.  Daffodils are getting there.  Pear trees have buds on them.

19 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Disastah.  Hopefully this weekend offers up some free time for me to do a cleanup.  SHould drop 1st round of fertilizer.  Seeing some Forsythias blooming.  Crocuses are up.  Daffodils are getting there.  Pear trees have buds on them.

I'm going to try the Scotts 4-step stuff. My buddy swears by it. I fired Trugreen.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If you’ve got a lot of shade and trees then the soil is acidic. The presence of moss confirms that. I would def drop lime ASAP . Use the pellitized lime vs. the powder 

I’ll test the soil soon but deff could use the lime on the outer edges near the tree lines. I need to see what type of shading the rest of the property gets when we leaf out. thanks.

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’ll test the soil soon but deff could use the lime on the outer edges near the tree lines. I need to see what type of shading the rest of the property gets when we leaf out. thanks.

You can’t have enough lime in the northeast. Lime it hard and fast. Calcium works too. 

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Soil temps over here are still 10-15 degrees too cold for fertilizer.

1 minute ago, tunafish said:

The public drinking water sources and local coastal waterways thank you in advance for your heavy use fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides.  

Truthfully, I don't apply very often and don't use a lot... my yard looks terrible, but I try to keep it manageable.  The environmental cost factors into my laziness

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

what's so bad about Scotts? Which Lesco spring fert do you use?

They're cheap, quick release fertilizers with a lot of salt content to dissolve into ground quickly. Sure, they'll green up your lawn faster but they do little to help establish deep roots which will keep your grass living longer in the long run and cheaper since you'll need less watering.  You should look for a slow release fertilizer which will cost more but will promote a deeper root system.