• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 7-8 2018 jinx

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This Arctic airmass is the real deal for so late in the season.

Record setting cold today in St. Cloud and Eau Claire. It was the 2nd coldest day on record in April in St. Cloud, and 3rd coldest in Eau Claire. St. Cloud also had its latest 0° temp for the winter-spring season. The Twin Cities was one degree shy of a record low today.pic.twitter.com/LgsYe2I88C
View photo ·    

The trough is strongest in the center of the country (Northern Plains) due to the powerful -EPO block. We are on the east side of the trough, hence the storminess and near-record precip. As April continues, that trough looks to remain anchored in the country's mid-section, but retreat further northward into the Canadian Prairies/Dakotas. This should allow for more of a Bermuda High in the East.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Rjay unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

It's funny how it didn't just go south it basically turned into nobody getting anything

Wasn’t able to amplify due to being squashed by the upper air low north of it. If it can’t amplify, it can’t develop into any kind of storm since it isn’t able to generate flow from the south to overrun moisture and cold air from the north. 

On 4/6/2018 at 9:41 AM, tamarack said:

This NNJ expat would move 1888 much farther up the list, due mainly to cold that was probably even more anomalous than April 1982.  The latter storm fell with temps falling thru the 20s, and 4/7/82's max of 30 is tied with 4/5/1881 for April's coldest.  1888 not only had more snow and stronger winds, but temps fell from 33 to 8 on the big snow day (3/12) then had a max of 12 (with another 3" snow) on 3/13.  That max is only #2 but came 8 days later than the 10° max in 1872.
Not a single event, but Jan. 19-Feb. 4, 1961 featured NYC's longest spell of subfreezing temps (high 1/19-2/3 was only 29) but was bookended by major snowstorms.  That 2nd storm brought NNJ's tallest snowpack by a wide margin, and IIRC only the post-Christmas snow of 1947 beat the NYC depth on 2/4/61 - by 1".  (Just my opinion, but I rank that '47 dump as the city's greatest snowfall, though it's now bumped back to #3.   The max depth recorded in '47 was greater than for either of the 2 later storms.  I think that if it had been measured the way 2006 and 2016 had been, its total would've been close to 30".)

I wonder about that myself.  The way we measure snow now, March 1888 might also have been over 30 inches.  It was measured at between 26-35 inches in Brooklyn and Queens anyway.  I saw a 32 inch figure for Southern Queens.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:14 PM, jm1220 said:

Wasn’t able to amplify due to being squashed by the upper air low north of it. If it can’t amplify, it can’t develop into any kind of storm since it isn’t able to generate flow from the south to overrun moisture and cold air from the north. 

Well they did have a very late season snow in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina.  Also about 3 inches of snow fell in the Poconos yesterday.

Archived