Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 7-8 2018 jinx

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

DC got plenty on that GFS run as did people south of I-195. I'm at least fairly confident this won't be way amped like this morning's NAM.

I agree looking at the setup. The thing is, I trust the NAM more than the GFS at this point, especially at this range moving forward. Another crazy storm to track. This winter has taught me to expect the unexpected. 

CMC, GFS, Ukie,,,,all South. Euro = South and drier . Nam still says North = it appears to be alone right now. Lets see if we get the usually trends North today from all the models or if this is a swing and a miss for our area ? Could all the models have this wrong and it heads North ??? Regardless of who gets hit the timing is key as many people like myself intend to travel home from down south , some of us driving .

3 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

April 6, 82 was more like this year's January 4 blizzard than any of the other storms that we've had this winter.  In eastern Nassau there was some sleet at the start, particularly on the south shore (8 AM-ish, IIRC), but then an all out daytime blizzard.  Blizzard warning went out with a late evening update on April the 5th.  Gutsy call in those days that verified.

it was one of those rare days when the kind of storm that just doesn't happen, happened.

Then on April 7th, the high temperature at KNYC was 31 with high winds all day.  Long Islanders woke up to temperatures in teens with a foot + of snow on the ground, high winds and blowing snow on April 7. 

That might be the most truly anomalous weather event our area has ever experienced. Even ahead of Sandy or the 1938 hurricane.  Though the October snowstorm in NYC and Western LI comes close, but combined with the temps and the blizzard conditions I think the April 1982 blizzard edges that out.

My list of the most anomalous metro area weather events.....

1) April 1982 Blizzard

2) October 2011 Snowstorm

3) 1938 Hurricane

4) Sandy

5) 2016 Blizzard

6) 1992 Noreaster

7) 1962 Noreaster

8) 1888 Blizzard

9) 1920 Snowstorm

10) Norfolk and Long Island Hurricane

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Central Park recorded 4.0 inches so unfortunately that's the official number when we all know it was 6 inches in most areas of the city. Just another of the infamous Zookeepers F ups. There's dozens of them through time.

April 1915 deserves an honorable mention because it was 19 inches in Philly but only 10 in NYC (though Newark did get 16 inches).

5 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Highest accumulation I remember from the May 9-10, 1977 storm was 27 inches in some town in the Catskills of NY, I think it was Slide Mountain.

http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?showtopic=29630

I wonder how there was no accumulation in NYC even though thundersnow was reported in 5/1977.  Didn't Providence, RI (at sea level) have 7 inches?

5 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Weird to see every model all of the sudden trend south. Hopefully it comes back north.

Oh well we had a decent recent run. Had to end sometime. I don't think all of them trending south at this time is just noise. Still, it's even rarer to see a significant storm this time of year further south.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived