SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 7-8 2018 jinx

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NewYorkweatherfan said:

This will be the best case scenario. If we could slow it down 4 more hrs than someone will get a foot

I’d rather have most of this as early as possible since we need good rates during the day to stick on more than grass and car tops. But early probably means north, so we work with what we have. 

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I’d rather have most of this as early as possible since we need good rates during the day to stick on more than grass and car tops. But early probably means north, so we work with what we have. 

Yes either slower or faster but this pace looks bad and it looks a bit warm but I think 2-4 is easy here cause we’ll be getting some very heavy snow during the height of it

April 6, 82 was more like this year's January 4 blizzard than any of the other storms that we've had this winter.  In eastern Nassau there was some sleet at the start, particularly on the south shore (8 AM-ish, IIRC), but then an all out daytime blizzard.  Blizzard warning went out with a late evening update on April the 5th.  Gutsy call in those days that verified.

it was one of those rare days when the kind of storm that just doesn't happen, happened.

Then on April 7th, the high temperature at KNYC was 31 with high winds all day.  Long Islanders woke up to temperatures in teens with a foot + of snow on the ground, high winds and blowing snow on April 7. 

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

April 6, 82 was more like this year's January 4 blizzard than any of the other storms that we've had this winter.  In eastern Nassau there was some sleet at the start, particularly on the south shore (8 AM-ish, IIRC), but then an all out daytime blizzard.  Blizzard warning went out with a late evening update on April the 5th.  Gutsy call in those days that verified.

it was one of those rare days when the kind of storm that just doesn't happen, happened.

I experienced the April 1982 blizzard in Brooklyn and just remember the asphalt snow covered deeply and how bright the sky was too while snowing heavily.

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Then on April 7th, the high temperature at KNYC was 31 with high winds all day.

And I might add, most of us didn't really believe it.....

NAM has a a mid level warm layer that has to be dealt with along I-95 for most of the event. There's some mild air being drawn in from the south which could reflect in the mid levels. But agree that it's a step in the right direction. At least it's trending the boundary further south. 

Just now, sferic said:

I experienced the April 1982 blizzard in Brooklyn and just remember the asphalt snow covered deeply and how bright the sky was too while snowing heavily.

And it delivered IMBY much better than Jan 4, which was a bit of a letdown as the bands stopped at the Hudson river. Newark did better in 82 than CP.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived