April 7-8 snow event

PrinceFrederickWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This thread is a disaster. 

37 pages and most wont see a flake.

PrinceFrederickWx- this may have been your first ever thread, but it will be your last.

Did you miss the part where I said the 06Z GFS will save us? If not that then the 12Z suite? 

Aren't you being a little hard on PrinceFredrick? After all it was a Nina this winter so he should be allowed a Mulligan. In fact everyone this year should be allowed Mulligans. Except for Ji. He has 25 threads this year with only one success to show for it. Pretty crappy success rate. Him we should put on the NO THREAD FOR YOU LIST. :lol:

9 hours ago, BristowWx said:

It’s over isn’t it.  I mean for everyone north of EZF.  Our hope is squarely on a system to pull north with a positively tilted trough.  Can’t see how that happens.  

It was over once we went from an over running event to an intensifying coastal. The teases we saw yesterday morning were because they were showing slightly better height increases in front of the trough allowing a little more latitude gain with that low. But that was nothing more then a head fake. Feels like we have dealt with this type of evolution with systems on the models a couple of dozen times this winter.

I think the next La Nina winter we have I am just going to sit it out as far as model tracking. Can't stand the aggravation. Bahhh... who am I kidding. I will be here.

06Z GFS was a no go. Even shifted slightly south with the snowfall maps and cut down on the totals. At this rate about the only places that may score a little something will be the mountains on the West VA and VA border. 
Nice job with this system 🤡

21 minutes ago, Ji said:

Nice job with this system 

Yep. Had it's number from the get-go. :D

Hurry up and start a thread on the day 9 threat before they let someone else start it. That should kill it pretty quick and I can start planning for camping this year. B)

eta: And while you are at it can you also start a thread on the day 12 threat that the 06Z GFS is showing? Kill two birds with one stone as they say.

33 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

This winter’s put me firmly in the @Tenman Johnson camp when it comes to models.

Well it is true that models tend to show about every possible outcome for a specific threat if followed from 10 days out. Thats simply the nature of the beast.

This winter was pretty simple though. Ninas generally suck for this region, and we all knew that going in.

If we had a full-on locked in hostile pattern in place, then we would not have been teased with all the potential winter threats- there would have been very little to track. We had good to really good H5 looks a lot of the time though. The ultimate fails were a mostly function of the Nina base state.

In the end, despite all the teases that lead to nothing, it was decent for most. If you are near or at snowfall climo, or even above in some cases, its hard to complain. And we did have some decent cold. Its all over now. Bring on summer with a persistent -NAO, then keep that going with a developing Nino into fall.

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Here too. Temp keeps dropping ...feels like winter . My first baseball scrimmage( over 30)is tomorrow morning at 8am . Suppose to be 25 F ..probably won't go.

No flurries here yet, but I just went outside to fill the bird feeder and between the gray skies, dropping temperatures, and smoky smell from the neighbor's smoldering fire pit, it looks and feels like winter.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Well it is true that models tend to show about every possible outcome for a specific threat if followed from 10 days out. Thats simply the nature of the beast.

This winter was pretty simple though. Ninas generally suck for this region, and we all knew that going in.

If we had a full-on locked in hostile pattern in place, then we would not have been teased with all the potential winter threats- there would have been very little to track. We had good to really good H5 looks a lot of the time though. The ultimate fails were a mostly function of the Nina base state.

In the end, despite all the teases that lead to nothing, it was decent for most. If you are near or at snowfall climo, or even above in some cases, its hard to complain. And we did have some decent cold. Its all over now. Bring on summer with a persistent -NAO, then keep that going with a developing Nino into fall.

I love to analyze the why behind the what but if you are the kind of person who only likes the what skip to the end for the cliffs notes version.

The unabridged version of our struggles...

Ninas suck here because we are at the perfect latitude to get stuck between the northern and southern jet when they don't play nice. Nina typically means a faster stronger NS which makes it hard to dig enough for us and even when we get some stj systems the odds of phasing are low with NS systems racing by too fast without digging and the odds of a NS vort being in a bad spot are high because their racing by just to our north all winter long. Then add in that the mountains to our west will kill any weak sauce waves. So we're stuck watching northern stream systems go to our north and stj waves stay to our south all winter. And when we do get a great h5 setup there is still an increased chance that there are too many NS votes flying around to get one system to consolidate into a healthy storm. 

1996 was an extreme anomaly. Getting a perfect AO and NAO helped. Having that in mid winter essentially pushed everything south making us the defacto New England that year.  But I also think there had to be more too it. Luck maybe. Or the pdo lining up good for a Nina. Because in ninas we need nao help to get a warning event (the data is strong on that, barely any non nao snows in the last 20 Nina years) but even in a -nao we still tend to struggle more then in non Nina nao periods. 2001 the nao did nothing for us. 2011 we got scraps compared to NYC. Same this March. Nina snow climo is very consistent. Yes there is variability (taking out 96) between dreadful and mediocre but we will do worse then everyone around us almost guaranteed.   Even when we get a mediocre one it will feel awful because it's a struggle and to get to average probably required a fairly cold active winter because we're destined to fail 90% of threats in a Nina so even when we get a near normal one like this year it feels crappy because we failed so much and all around us has a great winter. 

The cliffs notes version:

Ninas suck here

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived