Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 7-8 snow event

PrinceFrederickWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

And the NAM puts this down overnight. Gives us a shot at accumulating since rates certainly aren’t fantastic. Ground would be a little more chilled too... hmmmm

Too bad we aren't even getting cold rain from the front. That could cool the ground, no? That's what I liked about the March 20-22 storm. Even though the first wave only dropped a quarter of an inch of snow, it cooled the ground so ground temps weren't an issue for wave 2

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Too bad we aren't even getting cold rain from the front. That could cool the ground, no? That's what I liked about the March 20-22 storm. Even though the first wave only dropped a quarter of an inch of snow, it cooled the ground so ground temps weren't an issue for wave 2

Unless it really soaks in there and it's super close to 32 degrees, rain would just increase the heat transfer coefficient at the snow/soil interface and make things worse. 

9 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Flipping back and forth between the last two runs at hour 33 actually shows the precip max still going south. Just seems a separate area of decent precip develops to the north.

But most of that qpf that reduced was from the first frontal wave that continues to become almost nothing. It was rain anyways. 

3 hours ago, ATreglown said:

The reports out of RIC are not accurate at all. People send in reports from all around the airport area and RIC totals on the norm below actual snow accumulation. It's very annoying. 

Yup the snow total controversies are well known, and we were impressed by the efforts by those who posted on EasternWX and here to get storm totals revised by AKQ. IIRC, they managed to convince AKQ to revise 1/30/10 upward, but AKQ wouldn’t budge on 1/23/16.

For DC, it’s the same complaint about DCA all the time. But we’re stuck with both sites being the official one. 

Just now, showmethesnow said:

Tonight's 00Z runs are the biggest of the Winter... errr... Spring.

It’s over isn’t it.  I mean for everyone north of EZF.  Our hope is squarely on a system to pull north with a positively tilted trough.  Can’t see how that happens.  

It's kind of :wacko: to hear lawn mowers going on this 70 degree evening and seeing the Azalea blooms popping out as I am  watching models showing it snowing in my back yard and upper 20's for tomorrow night. Don't think it is going to be a pretty spring around here. My blackberry and blueberry bushes just started blooming too! :(

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived