Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 7-8 snow event

PrinceFrederickWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After many years, decade plus, of looking at model performance I find

In ninas they always overdo the intensity of the storm. Ninas are generally some form of stringy mess and if that narrow strip gets right over us then we hit otherwise not

in Ninos  they have difficulty with the placement of the low. They get the intensity correct but struggled right up to 24 hours with does the low pass over Norfolk or Hagerstown.

32 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL RIC beats DCA in April. Just end this terrible nightmare winter already. 

Eh, this is just what comes around goes around. Pretty sure RIC hasn't had a 12"+ storm since '96 (or '83 don't remember), meanwhile DC has had what, 4? IAD has had something like 5 in that time as well. They get their little victories, we get ours.

19 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Eh, this is just what comes around goes around. Pretty sure RIC hasn't had a 12"+ storm since '96 (or '83 don't remember), meanwhile DC has had what, 4? IAD has had something like 5 in that time as well. They get their little victories, we get ours.

And we are all part of the same subforum. They are pretty humble crew down there so I always appreciate when they get snow as I’m sure they do.  

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Euro says 'What snow?'. Shows some small pockets of 1 inch totals in central VA and that's it. 

How times change.  Used to a nail in the coffin now we wait for other guidance and dismiss it.  Sort of...still probably more right than wrong.  

Just now, BristowWx said:

How times change.  Used to a nail in the coffin now we wait for other guidance and dismiss it.  Sort of...still probably more right than wrong.  

Kind of Blah on the whole thing at this point anyway. I was never really in the running after the models shifted south and was mostly tracking hoping the cities could score. At this point I think we are looking at just another massive tease by the models.

I still think the models are evil AI's bent on the destruction of mankind and all this is just part of their ultimate plan.

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Kind of Blah on the whole thing at this point anyway. I was never really in the running after the models shifted south and was mostly tracking hoping the cities could score. At this point I think we are looking at just another massive tease by the models.

I still think the models are evil AI's bent on the destruction of mankind and all this is just part of their ultimate plan.

Yeah. Just three days ago we had HECS.  Will be happy when this is all behind us..addiction won’t let me stop tracking but sustained warmth will pull my plug out of the socket quickly.  

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

In 1993 we had an 18" snow in February, 1996 12" in January, 2000 15"in January, and 2016 had 13" January. 

7 minutes ago, ATreglown said:

In 1993 we had an 18" snow in February, 1996 12" in January, 2000 15"in January, and 2016 had 13" January. 

I think he's talking about official records from the airport, in the same way people would be referring to DCA when they're talking about DC snow records. KRIC has not reported a 12"+ snowstorm since 2/83, even though 1/96, 1/00, and 1/16 all had >12"+ reports in the metro region. 1/96 in particular seemed like an atrociously low total at 9.5" (the 2.5" on 1/9 was from the clipper). 

3 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

I think he's talking about official records from the airport, in the same way people would be referring to DCA when they're talking about DC snow records. KRIC has not reported a 12"+ snowstorm since 2/83, even though 1/96, 1/00, and 1/16 all had >12"+ reports in the metro region. 1/96 in particular seemed like an atrociously low total at 9.5" (the 2.5" on 1/9 was from the clipper). 

The reports out of RIC are not accurate at all. People send in reports from all around the airport area and RIC totals on the norm below actual snow accumulation. It's very annoying. 

one thing is certain...the models from a couple days ago nailed the friday torch.  it's outstanding outside right now.  i also wonder if warmer temps today could help us tomorrow in slowing the initial boundary and allowing a further north track of that SE wave.  i'm interested.  

1 hour ago, bigshaq00 said:

how much could north Carolina see 

If rain-snow line sets up about Norfolk VA to Raleigh NC then counties west of that could see 3-6" and mountains 5-10" but all depends on track of this OK-AR-MS low later today; for RDU the likely outcome is 0.5" liquid and 1.0" snow out of that, sleet and ice pellets etc. 

16 minutes ago, Ji said:

NAM is going to be more north looking at 500MB

hard to tell if it even came northwest or the nw side is just a little better this run.  precip output is not impressive and pretty similar to the south as last run, but maybe more of a chance to get shaved now.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived