Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 7-8 snow event

PrinceFrederickWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This pretty much sums it up(the lameness) from the Mount Holly AFD-

The big question becomes how much snow actually accumulates. Many factors come into play at this time. We are getting late in the season, so the sun angle is getting higher. Most of any snow would fall during the daytime, which would coincide with warmer surface temperatures. Also, any rainfall from overnight would likely suppress significant accumulations. All of this is mainly dependent on snowfall rates, which are not expected to be significant at this time. With all this said, we are generally expecting around an inch or less, mainly across the I-95 corridor southward. If any of the above factors shift in the other direction, especially snowfall rates, totals could go up.

The NAMs were not an improvement and were a trend the wrong way. Yes they look north if you just look at the colors on the precip type map. But the precip is all just from an anafront setup early Saturday morning. That's not even the storm we were tracking it's just the cold front ahead of the storm. There is no upside beyond snow tv with that. The actual storm is completely squashed to nothing. To the point it leaves enough energy to even try to develop something south of us and hit NC and southern VA Sunday.  The 18z nam was worse and continued the wrong trend with the threat of a significant wave Saturday. If you will be happy with some snow tv with the front then yay it's a good run. 

28 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The NAMs were not an improvement and were a trend the wrong way. Yes they look north if you just look at the colors on the precip type map. But the precip is all just from an anafront setup early Saturday morning. That's not even the storm we were tracking it's just the cold front ahead of the storm. There is no upside beyond snow tv with that. The actual storm is completely squashed to nothing. To the point it leaves enough energy to even try to develop something south of us and hit NC and southern VA Sunday.  The 18z nam was worse and continued the wrong trend with the threat of a significant wave Saturday. If you will be happy with some snow tv with the front then yay it's a good run. 

I think from here on...whenever we have a La Niña winter, I'm just gonna assume this result until it's actually snowing. How many times have we used the word "squashed" this winter? This winter has been a painful lesson of how bad La Niñas can be (yet total-wise, will go down as average). I can't stand squash the vegetable...and I can't stand the squash of La Niña either...they both taste disgusting, lol

18z ICON got a little better.  It doesn't really get going until 18z on Saturday, so we're still 48 hours out.  I think DC still has a good chance at some accumulations, but the chance of a signficant storm for northern MD is small.

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Oh well. Maybe next winter.

I'm disappointed in this winter like everyone else. It kinda sucked the way it underperformed potential and how everyone around us got more so I do get that. But why do people keep saying that like it didn't snow this year?  "Most" in here made it close to median snowfall this year.  This wasn't like last winter.  There is actually a 40-50% chance we get less snow next year depending where you are in here statistically. 

I said most so those in the nw VA hole save the protestations. 

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm disappointed in this winter like everyone else. It kinda sucked the way it underperformed potential and how everyone around us got more so I do get that. But why do people keep saying that like it didn't snow this year?  "Most" in here made it close to median snowfall this year.  This wasn't like last winter.  There is actually a 40-50% chance we get less snow next year depending where you are in here statistically. 

I said it simply because I don’t see any more snow chances this season, and this Saturday event will turn out to be lame. So our next real shot will be next season.

As far as the season overall, it wasn’t too bad in my area or yours, but many people south of us didn’t get a single warning criteria event or just barely did, so I can see why they have a very low opinion of this past winter, not to mention the other things you mentioned. It’s easy to be more level headed if you’ve seen a 17” storm in late March and can reasonably expect a double digit storm every other year, but that’s not the case for most of the forum.

It’s been a frustrating past few years for a lot of people. Some handle it better than others. But yes, this was a much better season than last year, which was completely atrocious.

Before March 21 I barely had a snow that covered the road

I usually do pretty well

This snow board crap has inflated totals in terms of actual snowfall feel

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

I said it simply because I don’t see any more snow chances this season and this Saturday event will turn out to be lame. So our next real shot will be next season.

As far as the season overall, it wasn’t too bad in my area or yours, but many people south of us didn’t get a single warning criteria event or just barely did, so I can see why they have a very low opinion of this past winter, not to mention the other things you mentioned. It’s easy to be more level headed if you’ve seen a 17” storm in late March and can reasonably expect a double digit storm every other year, but that’s not the case for most of the forum.

It’s been a frustrating past few years for a lot of people. Some handle it better than others. But yes, this was a much better season than last year, which was completely atrocious.

this winter was a pretty good example of how dc/bmore are typically too far south for miller Bs and too far north for southern sliders, which is primarily what we dealt with in this split flow or la nina regime.  we lacked a good stj and the atlantic didn't do a good job of backing the flow.

2 minutes ago, 87storms said:

this winter was a pretty good example of how dc/bmore are typically too far south for miller Bs and too far north for southern sliders, which is primarily what we dealt with in this split flow or la nina regime.  we lacked a good stj and the atlantic didn't do a good job of backing the flow.

Yeah, exactly. It’s a miracle that some of us got close to climo considering the ENSO state. I guess it took a really good block in March to give us some scraps.

The last 2 years have been an unmitigated disaster. Absolutely horrendous. I dont care if there was better tracking this year, it sucked just as bad as the previous year. There was nothing once again. Hoping for a great 2018/2019, we are due.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived