SnowHabit
April 7-8 snow event

PrinceFrederickWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

This 3K run looks ok for DC but pretty fringed for Baltimore-north

Its weak and drier and comes at the worst time. If this played out its mostly snow tv with coatings here and there. You can see looking at the low level temps, compared to last run, its overall warmer- only around freezing at the surface in the places its snowing decently- elsewhere its mid 30s.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Its weak and drier and comes at the worst time. If this played out its mostly snow tv with coatings here and there. You can see looking at the low level temps, compared to last run, its overall warmer- only around freezing at the surface in the places its snowing decently- elsewhere its mid 30s.

pretty legit temps, though, once they crash.  if there can be some decent rates left, i think it could stick during the daytime.  that last march event was a little more fringe-y temp-wise.  the moderate stuff was sticking with no issues.  it's the light stuff that has no chance in that daytime April brightness.

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah that’s true. Just disappointing to see this go from a heavy thump of precip to around .5 or less. As others say give me the precip bomb and I’ll take my chances 

I don't like the trajectory today as much. These waves are much better when aligned west to east not SW to NE. It's way easier to get cross boundary flow when the wave is moving west to east. Even a weak wave will get enough south flow in front to get adequate cross boundary flow for good lift. With a SW to NE boundary it requires a more amplified system to get the flow back across the boundary to create the same lift.   This has been trending more towards a wave riding along a SW to NE boundary vs a wave riding ssw to ene and that's not so good. Still time to see more changes but that hasn't been an exciting development to me. 

5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

pretty legit temps, though, once they crash.  if there can be some decent rates left, i think it could stick during the daytime.  that last march event was a little more fringe-y temp-wise.

It was during peak sun hours, but it was puking huge dendrites most of the time- and still struggled to accumulate for those hours. Now imagine this *as advertised* weak sauce event with temps at 32-33 in mid afternoon, in April..

1 minute ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Yeah that’s true. Just disappointing to see this go from a heavy thump of precip to around .5 or less. As others say give me the precip bomb and I’ll take my chances 

but its still the NAM at range and changed quite a bit from 6z.  so maybe onto to something but no reason to get too upset about it.  the last event, the 2 storm deal in March, it looked good until almost game time literally as you probably remember...all of the guidance did I believe until Friday night then the cracks started to appear..so we run the risk of big changes closer in

The New England NS system trending west and stronger is limiting how amplified this wave can be too. But that could change too. Minor differences are doing this. I'm ok with this staying just south of us today. The north adjustment started in earnest at 36 hours the last few times. But I don't want it going any further south. I only expect a 50 mile north move. So if the northern edge ends up south of D.C. by tonight then northern MD is in trouble. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The New England NS system trending west and stronger is limiting how amplified this wave can be too. But that could change too. Minor differences are doing this. I'm ok with this staying just south of us today. The north adjustment started in earnest at 36 hours the last few times. But I don't want it going any further south. I only expect a 50 mile north move. So if the northern edge ends up south of D.C. by tonight then northern MD is in trouble. 

Here we go again!! Sitting inside of 50 hours hoping a NS PEST doesn't crap on the parade (albeit an abnormal parade for this time of year, lol).....I echo @BaltimoreWxGuy: I cannot STAND La Niñas. Mercy they're awful for down here

13 minutes ago, yoda said:

Sorry... April sun angle and the such.  Its over

lol, sun angle is the real deal though.  even that last march storm, there was bare pavement under trees while it was snowing, and it's noticeably brighter out when cloudy in april than in january.  i'm sure all that affects the entire process of the crystals from cloud to ground.  we can still get accumulation, but i'm fully on board the "we need rates in april" train, especially after a day with temps near 60.  i'd be completely satisfied with snow tv while checking out some cherry blossoms.  for street stickage...i'm pretty sure we're gonna need the good stuff.

So many model riders in here. Good Lordy.  April and 500 mb say storm is coming north. NYC should be worried. Philly should be weary. Baltimore to dc I still think is golden. Typical boundary issues and model fluctuations as multiple players enter the playing field at the same time. 0z tonight goes south again, start to worry. 

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Here we go again!! Sitting inside of 50 hours hoping a NS PEST doesn't crap on the parade (albeit an abnormal parade for this time of year, lol).....I echo @BaltimoreWxGuy: I cannot STAND La Niñas. Mercy they're awful for down here

The only thing they're good for are cooler winters when we build into El Ninos. that's it

4 minutes ago, jayyy said:

So many model riders in here. Good Lordy.  April and 500 mb say storm is coming north. NYC should be worried. Philly should be weary. Baltimore to dc I still think is golden. Typical boundary issues and model fluctuations as multiple players enter the playing field at the same time. 0z tonight goes south again, start to worry. 

I mean it’s not even just about north/south though. It’s seeming to be less precip too than early yesterday. 

9 minutes ago, jayyy said:

I don't disagree with your overall point but given the trajectory of this wave the northwest 1/3 of this forum is in about the same boat as NYC. Baltimore is in about the same boat as Philly. And the D.C. South part of this forum has an advantage over both. 

26 minutes ago, H2O said:

Models are now taking into account the SAL from Africa.  Thats why its drying up.  Tropical season can't be denied.

one day you might contribute to the board..and actually be funny too

6 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

I mean it’s not even just about north/south though. It’s seeming to be less precip too than early yesterday. 

The two are linked though. More cold press will suppress. Suppression will mean a weaker system. Less precip. A weaker system also will push or resist the boundary press less. This trend south and weaker. So with boundary waves south and weaker are synonymous. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

The two are linked though. More cold press will suppress. Suppression will mean a weaker system. Less precip. A weaker system also will push or resist the boundary press less. This trend south and weaker. So with boundary waves south and weaker are synonymous. 

yeah it was weird how people kept saying the two like they were separate i thought i was missing something

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived