Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 7-8 snow event

PrinceFrederickWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Thanatos_I_Am said:

@Bob Chill did you see the DGZ on the 18z GFS? We'd be getting nuked. 

It was a wall hangable sounding for April. Hall of fame kind of stuff. 

@losetoa6

Totally agree and said something similar yesterday. Quite a clash of airmasses. The atmosphere is naturally more energetic in April. The same progression can happen in Jan with half the results just because of background conditions, insolation, and dew points. Warm, moist, and unstable air feeding in from the south like what we are seeing is very interesting...and unusual. Snowfall could potentially be convective of sorts. Goes high res imagery could look pretty neat on Saturday. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

It was a wall hangable sounding for April. Hall of fame kind of stuff. 

@losetoa6

Totally agree and said something similar yesterday. Quite a clash of airmasses. The atmosphere is naturally more energetic in April. The same progression can happen in Jan with half the results just because of background conditions, insolation, and dew points. Warm, moist, and unstable air feeding in from the south like what we are seeing is very interesting...and unusual. Snowfall could potentially be convective of sorts. Goes high res imagery could look pretty neat on Saturday. 

Now your talking dirty 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nam is like the nba D league. Always a step below the pros. 

I agree with you post about how we probably are better off just looking at the gfs and euro and factoring in Climo and situational awareness. Perhaps the b team could be useful to break a tie in the rare cases the euro and gfs are wildly divergent at fairly short leads. Otherwise they just add noise more then anything else. 

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Now your talking dirty 

This is no doubt the most anomalous setup I've seen in April for snow here in 12 years since I started wasting my time on this madness. 60 degree dews streaming up from southern va and surface and mid level winds pumping down sub freezing 850s and 32 degree dews...and they are clashing right overhead. 

3k nam is a touch too far north but who cares. This is a sick fronto panel. Woah. 

nam3km_temp_adv_fgen_850_neus_61.png

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This is no doubt the most anomalous setup I've seen in April for snow here in 12 years since I started wasting my time on this madness. 60 degree dews streaming up from southern va and surface and mid level winds pumping down sub freezing 850s and 32 degree dews...and they are clashing right overhead. 

3k nam is a touch too far north but who cares. This is a sick fronto panel. Woah. 

nam3km_temp_adv_fgen_850_neus_61.png

Damn. Looks like Spring and Winter getting ready to do battle.

I think it's 1924 that D.C. Station had 4"+ and don't think DCA has much more than 1" anytime in April

there was one  Salisbury in either 1967 or 68 where light snow from 7-11am and then it really got going and accumulated 5/6 on grass but zero on any sidewalk or road and  like 2" on baseball infield 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived