April 7-8 snow event

PrinceFrederickWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jandurin said:

Where the heck did you see hundreds of snowstorms that stuck in APRIL

how old are you

I lived in buffalo for over a decade. April and even May snow is very common. I watched it snow 2 feet in 12 hours in mid October. I had finals canceled on May 15th for SNOW. 

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Are you guys kidding me with the “it won’t snow 3” in April” crap. I just watched it snow 7” in NY on Monday morning at my parents house. sun angle is such a crap myth. If it’s cold enough and precipitation rates are moderate and up, it will accumulate. Please learn some meteorology before bashing others. It can absolutely stick and accumulate in April. I’ve witnessed it hundreds of times in my life. 

Hi...you must be new here.  We have a hard time getting snow to accumulate at night in January.

1 minute ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Ok. This isn’t Buffalo. Much different climo down here pal

april snow is really put into perspective when you consider that we're less than 2 months away from June.  april snow is a big deal here...it's like snow in october.

CMC might have sucked but it's a noticeable improvement in the mids from the 0z run. I honestly never pay much attention to the CMC. GFS/Euro combo with some local knowledge trumps all nearly every storm. We could literally just work with those 2 models exclusively and do very well in the med and short range. 

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

April 96 it snowed all day during daylight at temps 33-35 and stuck to all surfaces except blacktop but at the heaviest rates even slush started to accumulate on the roads for a time.

I just here for the novelty of it. It's April 4th and we have a legit short range threat. It should be fun no matter how you slice it. Hand wringing and such in April is flat out dumb and a waste of time. If I see snow falling from the sky I'll remember it forever. It really is that simple. 

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Guess that means you are planning to give that finger to the most respected poster on the board? Cause he is also a bit concerned.

Nope. But you would get one. With your "concern". This is April 7 for a potential snow event. Anything we get that is snow is a borderline miracle. People rushing to scream "oh nos north trend" like they are some kind of seers for an April 7 storm that we all know has that issue built in is pretty much deb trolling. But you do you. And that's coming from me, who would prefer 70 and sun. But since we can't have that, am happy to cross fingers for snowfall and even accumulations, even in the lowlands, because, why not?

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I just here for the novelty of it. It's April 4th and we have a legit short range threat. It should be fun no matter how you slice it. Hand wringing and such in April is flat out dumb and a waste of time. If I see snow falling from the sky I'll remember it forever. It really is that simple. 

What bob said, He said it better and shorter than me, as usual.

ETA - that these runs are happening and showing this kind of potential at all is already a weird snow miracle. Whether it ends up in central PA or not, to be within 72 hours with this on the table is insane.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yep.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2010/04/is_april_snow_in_dc_rarer_than.html

"By comparison, the last three accumulating snows at National -- all occurring on April 7 strangely enough -- happened in 2007, 1990 and 1972, combining for a paltry 1.2" of snow."

4 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Nope. But you would get one. With your "concern". This is April 7 for a potential snow event. Anything we get that is snow is a borderline miracle. People rushing to scream "oh nos north trend" like they are some kind of seers for an April 7 storm that we all know has that issue built in is pretty much deb trolling. But you do you. And that's coming from me, who would prefer 70 and sun. But since we can't have that, am happy to cross fingers for snowfall and even accumulations, even in the lowlands, because, why not?

Then I don't understand the point of the board. I thought the point was to analyze weather events. Is that off limits now? Are there only certain months we are allowed to analyze? You can be happy about a snow event and also concerned about the reasons why it might not play out favorably all at the same time.

11 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Snow had no problem accumulating here midday on March 21st, even on the roads. Felt like a January day.

Are you saying sun angle doesn't matter? I'll give you 100 dollars if light snow sticks on streets at 1pm in April SOUTH of the PA line since you'll use C PA to back your argument.

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Then I don't understand the point of the board. I thought the point was to analyze weather events. Is that off limits now? Are there only certain months we are allowed to analyze? You can be happy about a snow event and also concerned about the reasons why it might not play out favorably all at the same time.

So far your analysis has consisted of "the previous runs were south and now we are on the edge - oh nos, north trend". That's scintillating stuff and completely outside the box thinking for a potential snow event for April 7. I, for one, think this is COMPLETELY locked in for foot of snow during the daylight hours on April 7.

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Yeah exactly. There's a difference between mentioning or talking about a north trend, and melting down over it like a freak. I don't see anyone doing the latter. 

5 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

Are you saying sun angle doesn't matter? I'll give you 100 dollars if light snow sticks on streets at 1pm in April SOUTH of the PA line since you'll use C PA to back your argument.

You can keep your money. Obviously light snow isn't going to accumulate in the afternoon. But heavy snow will. Also why should it matter whether it's PA or a little further south? The sun's radiation isn't a whole lot different there vs here.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived