Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 8th-9th "winter" storm?

Malacka11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, zinski1990 said:

sigh, when will this pattern ever end? Just terrible terrible miserable weather seems like it goes on forever

I second that, I love severe weather season but this constant cold dump is depressing.  I seriously hope this isn’t a sign for summer.

12 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Not a big fan of events that are weakening as they move in, but this looks like a nice widespread 1-3" type of an event.  Fairly noteworthy since it will be so deep into April.

Hopefully it trends better... I want to go out with more of a bang lol

It does appear like this will have a bigger north/south area of snow than most of the systems lately.  This much snow coverage would be noteworthy in the middle of winter

gfs_asnow24_ncus_19.thumb.png.53a47a5f98fb1edddda1af8f0e97084d.png

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Hopefully it trends better... I want to go out with more of a bang lol

It does appear like this will have a bigger north/south area of snow than most of the systems lately.  This much snow coverage would be noteworthy in the middle of winter

gfs_asnow24_ncus_19.thumb.png.53a47a5f98fb1edddda1af8f0e97084d.png

Hopefully it will be a case in which the models tend to weaken things a little too quickly and we see more robust amounts of precip.  

This thing has seemingly been locked and loaded.  Not really seeing wild model shifts.

Looking like a relatively modest system overall for most of the area (though there is the lower bar for what is "noteworthy" at this time of year).  I would say to watch that northern stream wave/surface low to see if it can beef up more, which could result in a zone of enhanced amounts embedded in the larger area of light amounts.  Not a prediction, just a statement.

Models have been pretty agreeable and consistent with this event.  Looks like a widespread 2-4" type of an event if warm ground/diurnal influences weren't to be considered.  As such many areas will likely end up with a slushy inch or two of actual accumulation.  Up in MN/northern IA there's a better chance at beefier accums since there'll be more QPF there.  The best thing about this system is that it should provide a fairly long-duration period of snow falling, albeit light in intensity for the most part.  

5 hours ago, Baum said:

What are the odds Cubs get the home opener in Monday?

Precip looks very wussy.  It'll likely be snowing too lightly to stick to even grassy surfaces during the day on Monday.  Especially in the afternoon.  I'm expecting our DAB-1" from Sunday night to be gone by noon, even with some residual flakes still floating down.

39 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

This system is fairly robust through SD into nw IA, but then it dies as it crosses IA.  At this point, 2 inches may be the ceiling for CR... rather disappointing.

This is basically a novelty event.  This time of the season you need intense rates to achieve accumulations in the daytime.  That won't be the case with this withering system.  We'll need to pick up our accums tomorrow night under cover of night before the insolation on Monday wipes it all away.  0.5-1.5" for here/QC, and 1.5-3" for you guys before it all melts by midday Monday.

40 degrees with the sun still shining through the thin cirrus canopy.  Warm ground going to make it tough for what little snow does fall tonight.  HRRR showing 0.1-0.15" for this area.  Glad we had that brief little death band hit us last Thursday.  Looks like that was the last real hurrah of the season.

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

First flakes have finally reached the ground here.  Still 38 degrees.  Precip dropped both DVN and MLI back to freezing, so should see that happen here shortly.

Yea, it's been snowing lightly, w/ tiny flakes while still saturating here for about the past 45 minutes. Just now starting to pick up in both size and intensity. 

2 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

It took a while for the snow to reach the ground, but once it did the rates got pretty good.  I have 2.1 inches so far.

Nice, already a nice dusting on everything but roadways within the past 15 minutes of the snow picking up a bit here. Heavy rates just to the west SLOWLY inching east.

Archived