• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

So even with just .25-.5” of ice with winds gusting to and over 40mph your in the category 4 index which is pretty significant. Over 1/2” with those kinds of winds and your in the catastrophic category...

Suppose to be 20-25mph sustained. That's pretty strong...NE direction as well which is a tough one for trees around here.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, vortmax said:

Suppose to be 20-25mph sustained. That's pretty strong...NE direction as well which is a tough one for trees around here.

The fact that the bulk of this will be late Saturday and into Sunday will really minimize diurnal impacts so I think with temps between 29-31 there’ll be no problem accumulating the ice, especially on trees and power lines. The ground may be a tad warm to accumulate efficiently but even if it doesn’t I thinks there’s gonna be serious tree/power issues that is going to far exceed the expectations of many who think that “oh its mid April, it’s too warm for ice, we’re just gonna get some cold rain”. At least that’s what people at work are saying when I bring up the idea of an ice storm. 

I think one thing working against an ice event is the temp profiles leading up the event.  We have temps above freezing for several days, followed by a short ~12 hour dip below freezing.  This means that surfaces will have to cool down before any significant glazing occurs.  During mid winter ice events, antecedent conditions are often well below freezing and surfaces are ripe for accretion as soon as precip begins to fall.  Marginal boundary layer temps, warm surfaces, and latent heat release may slow the process this upcoming storm. 

That said, an ice storm this late in the season is nearly unprecedented, at least in my lifetime.  I have little experience to go on. I will say that I completely wrote off the 2003 storm saying that ice accretion in April is unlikely and probably inefficient.  We then got hit pretty damn hard.  

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

I think one thing working against an ice event is the temp profiles leading up the event.  We have temps above freezing for several days, followed by a short ~12 hour dip below freezing.  This means that surfaces will have to cool down before any significant glazing occurs.  During mid winter ice events, antecedent conditions are often well below freezing and surfaces are ripe for accretion as soon as precip begins to fall.  Marginal boundary layer temps, warm surfaces, and latent heat release may slow the process this upcoming storm. 

That said, an ice storm this late in the season is nearly unprecedented, at least in my lifetime.  I have little experience to go on. I will say that I completely wrote off the 2003 storm saying that ice accretion in April is unlikely and probably inefficient.  We then got hit pretty damn hard.  

Do you have an analog to compare the setup?

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I agree with you 100% but how much latent heat can trees and power lines hold? I really think elevated surfaces will cool quick enough to allow for efficient accumulation, roads and other non elevated surfaces are definitely a different story but I don’t think that will be the main issue with this event. 

1 minute ago, vortmax said:

Do you have an analog to compare the setup?

Not that I know of, I can't ever remember an ice event this late.  Throw in the fact that we cool down via a backdoor front ahead of a strong spring storm and there are just too many variables.  Start well above freezing, quickly drop to freezing or just below, and then surge right back above freezing less than 24 hours later.  If it happens it will be a very quick hitter.  Some of the worst ice events are usually long duration and they often begin cold.  This is a strange one for sure.  I guess we could check the CIPS analog page.

5 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I agree with you 100% but how much latent heat can trees and power lines hold? I really think elevated surfaces will cool quick enough to allow for efficient accumulation, roads and other non elevated surfaces are definitely a different story but I don’t think that will be the main issue with this event. 

I meant latent heat release from freezing water which slightly slows the freezing rain process.  If boundary temps are super marginal this heat release prevent efficient accretion.  

29 minutes ago, LivingstonWx said:

I think there were thunderstorms the day before. 

That one was a long-term event with temps dropping throughout. This situation is quite unique...really depends on how cold (and quickly) the air can get. Let's see what 12z brings us...temp-wise. Would be curious to see how cold it gets along the south shore. If we dip into the 20s, then it could be interesting.

2 minutes ago, vortmax said:

That one was a long-term event with temps dropping throughout. This situation is quite unique...really depends on how cold (and quickly) the air can get.

We literally could have almost nothing or a solid inch of crippling ice. I’m expecting something in the middle but definitely had the potential to go either way. 

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

I meant latent heat release from freezing water which slightly slows the freezing rain process.  If boundary temps are super marginal this heat release prevent efficient accretion.  

I think more than anything it's important to have low level CAD ongoing if temps are marginal. I think the LHR warming could under-perform in this case, especially early on. LHR is very effective at ending freezing rain with marginal surface temps when CAD ends/flips to WAD.

21 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

If a damaging ice storm does play out Saturday night, the 2-3 inches of rain the following days will not bode well for those of us with flood prone basements.  Pretty nasty one two punch....  I'll have my generator on standby!

Money to my ears. Obviously I don’t ever want to wish any damage upon everyone but if it does happen I’ll be happy to have the overtime! 

12z NAM and GFS clobber BUF. Probably .75-1.25” ice verbatim but as WxNoob said there may be some sleet mixing in north of BUF. Really liking my spot about 8 miles south of KBUF for some serious icing, we have some wiggle room both ways I feel. 

11 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

This is radial ice, that's half of flat ice. 

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge. What is the difference between radial and flat ice? I take it your saying the .25-.5” that KBUF is forecasting is flat ice accumulation and that chart is saying radial accumulation so really the .25”-.5” thats forecast would be .125” - .25” on the chart? 

Just now, WesterlyWx said:

Just curious, does anyone know when the last Ice Storm Warning was issued for BUF ot ROC? 

KBUF tends to issue WSW rather than Ice Storm Warnings. I don't know how they come to that decision. I'm pretty sure April 2003 was a WSW. Does some else know? 

36 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge. What is the difference between radial and flat ice? I take it your saying the .25-.5” that KBUF is forecasting is flat ice accumulation and that chart is saying radial accumulation so really the .25”-.5” thats forecast would be .125” - .25” on the chart? 

Yeah that's right. Forecast for freezing rain accretion is for flat ice. 

There's a lot of stuff that goes into efficiency of ice accretion, like wind speed (higher results in more efficiency), temperature (26-28F is the most efficient range), and precipitation rates (lower results in more efficiency).  Those algorithm charts only show the QPF falling as zr, not how much will actually ice surfaces. A lot of times it's only 60-80 percent.  The biggest freezing rain storms are long duration light events that happen over a couple days.  

Archived