• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloWeather

Upstate/Eastern New York

It’s been snowing heavily here for the last 45 minutes. Flakes have been huge parachutes and the grass has quickly become covered. The temperature is down to 33. Not bad for April 19. 

Some solid snow squall action late this afternoon and into the evening. Picked up almost an inch. Looks to be waning now.  

Looking at the models...this should be it, Winters last gasp here on January 109th...

FYI thru 4/18...KSYR running -8.9F, monthly avg is 35.6F.  That'll come up if we moderate to normal or above the rest of the month but still...nasty.  Only 1.9" to date in April for snow at the airport, which is below the normal of 3.2" so I guess it could have been worse...KBGM has had 5.9" thusfar in April (3.4" normal), not including today.

The way it's been, I wouldn't rule out a May snowfall but at least we look to be getting into some 60s next week and beyond.  Just hope we don't transition into a wet May like last year, which was mostly hideous.  

Erie just admitted to measuring the snow incorrectly. Who even are those 2 ladies measuring the snow? KBUF is literally at the airport, and the measuring is done by degreed mets. Can't take their measurements seriously at all. 

http://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/it-appears-erie-will-fall-just-short-of-the-snowfall-record-but-how-is-it-measured/1129985133

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

The ground was whitened in East Syracuse from a period of heavy snow.

Don, Congrats on your 2017/18 Seasonal Snowfall contest victory at ne.wx.  Thats a tough one to win.  And on 2nd place in the 2017/18 Regular Season Snowfall contest.  Impressive.  I was the reigning Snowfall contest Chief Forecaster from last year but alas, a very mediocre forecast season defending the mantle for me. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Erie just admitted to measuring the snow incorrectly. Who even are those 2 ladies measuring the snow? KBUF is literally at the airport, and the measuring is done by degreed mets. Can't take their measurements seriously at all. 

http://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/it-appears-erie-will-fall-just-short-of-the-snowfall-record-but-how-is-it-measured/1129985133

Whoa. You guys out in WNY were onto this right away.  No way that big LES event measuring matched the video comparisons...perhaps now we know why...measuring intervals too short in most of the periods...if your gonna do it, at least know the rules?  I believe a location on the Tug was DQ'd by NWS for a snowfall record (24 hr?) over this very issue back in the 1990s.

17 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Don, Congrats on your 2017/18 Seasonal Snowfall contest victory at ne.wx.  Thats a tough one to win.  And on 2nd place in the 2017/18 Regular Season Snowfall contest.  Impressive.  I was the reigning Snowfall contest Chief Forecaster from last year but alas, a very mediocre forecast season defending the mantle for me. 

Thanks for the kind words. Great job last year.

12 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Whoa. You guys out in WNY were onto this right away.  No way that big LES event measuring matched the video comparisons...perhaps now we know why...measuring intervals too short in most of the periods...if your gonna do it, at least know the rules?  I believe a location on the Tug was DQ'd by NWS for a snowfall record (24 hr?) over this very issue back in the 1990s.

Yeah Montague in Jan 97.  Observer reported 77" in 24 hours but he took more than 4 measurements in that period so his numbers were not considered offical.  

• Like 1

Not to mention their "snow board" is located on a small grass island in the middle of a parking lot just feet from pavement and plowing? Large flat top buildings beside it for some additional wind blown drifting... Talk about a contaminated reading....
b05a4a708adca692c8eab6190d65c5a8.jpg

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Hope everyone enjoys some sun and warmer temps for the next few days.  My early call for next weekend is 6-12" for CNY, 4-8" for WNY....Rochester should jackpot.  

gfs_z500_mslp_us_33.png

This winter season is like the Energizer bunny...lol 

In all seriousness, there's pretty solid synergy between the EC, GFS, and CMC with LP strength and placement. Interesting.

59 minutes ago, vortmax said:

This winter season is like the Energizer bunny...lol 

In all seriousness, there's pretty solid synergy between the EC, GFS, and CMC with LP strength and placement. Interesting.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I went from thinking GFS was on crack, to thinking here we go yet again as every model defeats all seasonal norms and smothers us under a cold trof from the far reaches of Siberia.  

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I went from thinking GFS was on crack, to thinking here we go yet again as every model defeats all seasonal norms and smothers us under a cold trof from the far reaches of Siberia.  

Next weekend looks like a legit storm and arctic punch.  Definitely more snow on the horizon....

Looks like models have backed away from any sort of snow event next weekend, other than maybe a passing snowshower in places. Though, still looks like a chilly and partially wet weekend shaping up.  We can always say we had this past weekend of sun and 50 degrees for spring. They can't take that away from us!

11 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Looks like models have backed away from any sort of snow event next weekend, other than maybe a passing snowshower in places. Though, still looks like a chilly and partially wet weekend shaping up.  We can always say we had this past weekend of sun and 50 degrees for spring. They can't take that away from us!

It's starting to look better. Today was absolutely beautiful hit 74 here. Windows down, moonroof down, ahh feels good! The first couple days of May should feature 70s. 

8 to 14 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_9.png

gfs-ens_z500a_us_34.png

• Like 2