SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tim123 said:

Ok. Makes more sense now. But if you believe other guidance we are in 4 to maybe 5. Like hi res canadian or euro

i would say solid Cat 1 maybe low end Cat 2. 

.1 to .25 with 15-25mph winds.    You just arent going to get the ice accumulations the models are spitting out.  You need to half them or even divide by 4.  A cat 1 still warrants concern with sporadic power outages.  

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

i would say solid Cat 1 maybe low end Cat 2. 

.1 to .25 with 15-25mph winds.    You just arent going to get the ice accumulations the models are spitting out.  You need to half them or even divide by 4.  A cat 1 still warrants concern with sporadic power outages.  

You seem pretty confident about this, so are you going to Buffalo? I wouldn't.

4 minutes ago, coh said:

You seem pretty confident about this, so are you going to Buffalo? I wouldn't.

No, even Cat 1 is too dangerous for me to go. My sump pump has been running once every 15 mins or so the past few days.  The wife is taking the truck and leaving me to defend the castle.  grumble grumble

I should mention that I have a battery backup on the sump pump but it can be a bit dodgy and bit me in the ass once in the past when I needed it most.  

17 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

No, even Cat 1 is too dangerous for me to go. My sump pump has been running once every 15 mins or so the past few days.  The wife is taking the truck and leaving me to defend the castle.  grumble grumble

I should mention that I have a battery backup on the sump pump but it can be a bit dodgy and bit me in the ass once in the past when I needed it most.  

Definitely understand! We don't have a lot of water coming in right now, but last year in April we lost power for 3 hours at the peak of sump pump season. I had to have the fire department come over to pump it out. Almost made it into the hot water heater and boiler (fortunately there is enough slope in the basement and those are in a higher section). We have a standby generator now as well as a small portable backup generator just in case, plus a couple of portable submersible pumps in case the sump pump completely fails. But the float on the sump pump sticks occasionally so even with power, there is always a risk. I need to get it replaced this year.

Archived