Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some solid snow squall action late this afternoon and into the evening. Picked up almost an inch. Looks to be waning now.  

Looking at the models...this should be it, Winters last gasp here on January 109th...

FYI thru 4/18...KSYR running -8.9F, monthly avg is 35.6F.  That'll come up if we moderate to normal or above the rest of the month but still...nasty.  Only 1.9" to date in April for snow at the airport, which is below the normal of 3.2" so I guess it could have been worse...KBGM has had 5.9" thusfar in April (3.4" normal), not including today.

The way it's been, I wouldn't rule out a May snowfall but at least we look to be getting into some 60s next week and beyond.  Just hope we don't transition into a wet May like last year, which was mostly hideous.  

Erie just admitted to measuring the snow incorrectly. Who even are those 2 ladies measuring the snow? KBUF is literally at the airport, and the measuring is done by degreed mets. Can't take their measurements seriously at all. 

http://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/it-appears-erie-will-fall-just-short-of-the-snowfall-record-but-how-is-it-measured/1129985133

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

The ground was whitened in East Syracuse from a period of heavy snow.

Don, Congrats on your 2017/18 Seasonal Snowfall contest victory at ne.wx.  Thats a tough one to win.  And on 2nd place in the 2017/18 Regular Season Snowfall contest.  Impressive.  I was the reigning Snowfall contest Chief Forecaster from last year but alas, a very mediocre forecast season defending the mantle for me. 

24 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Erie just admitted to measuring the snow incorrectly. Who even are those 2 ladies measuring the snow? KBUF is literally at the airport, and the measuring is done by degreed mets. Can't take their measurements seriously at all. 

http://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/it-appears-erie-will-fall-just-short-of-the-snowfall-record-but-how-is-it-measured/1129985133

Whoa. You guys out in WNY were onto this right away.  No way that big LES event measuring matched the video comparisons...perhaps now we know why...measuring intervals too short in most of the periods...if your gonna do it, at least know the rules?  I believe a location on the Tug was DQ'd by NWS for a snowfall record (24 hr?) over this very issue back in the 1990s.

17 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Don, Congrats on your 2017/18 Seasonal Snowfall contest victory at ne.wx.  Thats a tough one to win.  And on 2nd place in the 2017/18 Regular Season Snowfall contest.  Impressive.  I was the reigning Snowfall contest Chief Forecaster from last year but alas, a very mediocre forecast season defending the mantle for me. 

Thanks for the kind words. Great job last year.

12 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Whoa. You guys out in WNY were onto this right away.  No way that big LES event measuring matched the video comparisons...perhaps now we know why...measuring intervals too short in most of the periods...if your gonna do it, at least know the rules?  I believe a location on the Tug was DQ'd by NWS for a snowfall record (24 hr?) over this very issue back in the 1990s.

Yeah Montague in Jan 97.  Observer reported 77" in 24 hours but he took more than 4 measurements in that period so his numbers were not considered offical.  

Not to mention their "snow board" is located on a small grass island in the middle of a parking lot just feet from pavement and plowing? Large flat top buildings beside it for some additional wind blown drifting... Talk about a contaminated reading....
b05a4a708adca692c8eab6190d65c5a8.jpg

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Hope everyone enjoys some sun and warmer temps for the next few days.  My early call for next weekend is 6-12" for CNY, 4-8" for WNY....Rochester should jackpot.  

gfs_z500_mslp_us_33.png

This winter season is like the Energizer bunny...lol 

In all seriousness, there's pretty solid synergy between the EC, GFS, and CMC with LP strength and placement. Interesting.

59 minutes ago, vortmax said:

This winter season is like the Energizer bunny...lol 

In all seriousness, there's pretty solid synergy between the EC, GFS, and CMC with LP strength and placement. Interesting.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I went from thinking GFS was on crack, to thinking here we go yet again as every model defeats all seasonal norms and smothers us under a cold trof from the far reaches of Siberia.  

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I went from thinking GFS was on crack, to thinking here we go yet again as every model defeats all seasonal norms and smothers us under a cold trof from the far reaches of Siberia.  

Next weekend looks like a legit storm and arctic punch.  Definitely more snow on the horizon....

Looks like models have backed away from any sort of snow event next weekend, other than maybe a passing snowshower in places. Though, still looks like a chilly and partially wet weekend shaping up.  We can always say we had this past weekend of sun and 50 degrees for spring. They can't take that away from us!

11 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Looks like models have backed away from any sort of snow event next weekend, other than maybe a passing snowshower in places. Though, still looks like a chilly and partially wet weekend shaping up.  We can always say we had this past weekend of sun and 50 degrees for spring. They can't take that away from us!

It's starting to look better. Today was absolutely beautiful hit 74 here. Windows down, moonroof down, ahh feels good! The first couple days of May should feature 70s. 

8 to 14 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_9.png

gfs-ens_z500a_us_34.png

4 hours ago, blackrock said:

It's official...I'm moving to REDFIELD this summer!!! So excited!!! One thing: Can you guys do anything about those HIDEOUS license plate NY has? Bleck! :P 

They are awful but eventually you don't notice them anymore.  It boggles my mind that a group of people sat down and had numerous meetings and actually chose that as the winner.  It's ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, tim123 said:

How much snow you average where you are now?

Around 100 inches.

7 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

They are awful but eventually you don't notice them anymore.  It boggles my mind that a group of people sat down and had numerous meetings and actually chose that as the winner.  It's ridiculous. 

Lol...they sat around talking about the ugliest license plate they could think of.

10 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Next week looks absolutely fantastic. Does anyone know when KBUF usually sees their first 80 degree day?  I can’t find it anywhere. 

As a quick and dirty check I just looked at the CF6's from the last 5 years.

2013 - 82 on April 13th

2014 - 82 on May 9th but Several mid 70's days in Mid April

2015 - 80 on may 7th, and highs stayed in the 80's for 5 days straight with a max of 89 on the 9th.  They hit 78 on April 13th.

2016 - 81 on May 12th.  Only hit mid 70's a few time in Mid April.  This spring looks pretty cool on paper

2017 - 85 on April 27th.  

As crappy as this Spring has been we look to hit our first 80 day right in the standard window.  But our average temps are way low.  This week looks great but then next weekend is crap again.  We really need to time this better Mother nature...

The Sabres won the draft lottery. I don't think I've ever been as happy as a sports fan as I was last night. Having played hockey since I was 2, it's my favorite sport. He is the best defensive prospect I have ever seen. I can't move to someplace warmer now, I need to watch him at the arena the next 10 years. ^_^

Looks like we'll be able to eke out the coldest April since the the official weather station moved to the airport. I don't think it's fair to compare temperatures taken at the airport now to ones taken next to an ice covered lake, so hopefully the weather service acknowledges that.

It wouldn't even be a top 10 coldest as it stands, because all of the top 10 coldest April's occurred when the station was located on the waterfront.

Archived