Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

After this incredible stretch of extended late winter I have to change my seasonal grade from a B to an A - due to the longevity of it although I guess some of you might downgrade it since you don’t like the cold and snow in mid April but to me it’s been absolutely incredible to see such sustained cold and snowy periods this late in the season. I will likley end the season in the 125”-130” range which puts me a solid 15-20” above average and with the lake effect events early in December combined with the incredible cold this has actually turned out to be one of my favorite winters. The only reason I don’t give it an A or A+ is because of the 3 week almost summertime warmth stretch in February and no blockbuster lake effect event of 2 feet or more but that can’t be expected every season and every season is always going to have a thaw. Pretty incredible that besides February every month from November through April will be below average temps and some well below average. All in all a great winter!

Snow in late March and April should not contribute to a good winter. Mine has dropped to a C due to this nonsense.

39 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

It seems our little snow event has trended south. Twin tiers look to get a few wet inches. 

Well, stick a fork in it. Long winter! 

Erie PA is going to break the golden snowball record with this next system. Pretty crazy that they do it and not Syracuse. That record was held for 41 years. They are only .9" away.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Snow in late March and April should not contribute to a good winter. Mine has dropped to a C due to this nonsense.

haha, you crack me up man.  Your winter score drops if its too cold and too snowy for too long.  A good winter for BW is a short one.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I was almost thinking the same LOL.  If my backyard had picked up anything worth measuring this month I'd maybe go higher. But this 3 week parade of dustings and cold has just been annoying.  I'll stay with B+ though. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Mine dropped from an A- at the middle of March to an F-.  Small piece of revenge I can exact on the atmosphere after getting brutalized every time I walk outside for the last 45 days.  At least now I know what a March and April would look like if I lived in Moosonee, Canada on the shores of James Bay.  Dark, dank, wet, cold, windy, and snowy, day after day after day after day....

Wow, looks.like I missed quite a bit of commentary as I took to the side lines for this last event and it was a doozey! Power was out for most, If not all of Monday, and a part of yesterday for a few hrs. That has got to be the worst part of Winter Storms, the loss of power, heat and sometimes Water as pumps from wells rum on electric so whatever is in the tank, is how much H20 you have so conserve. The wind was the most intense part of the event with close to 15000 residents of Oswego County lost power and that # may in fact be bigger. As far as ice accretion, yeah there was some, but no where near what was forecasted at least where I live anyway. Other areas in CNY I'm sure had much more accretion than I did as I live in a semi Tropical micro-climate, lol. This morning I woke up to about an inch of accumulation governor and am expecting the same tonight and hopefully that is it for this everlasting Winter season!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Erie PA is going to break the golden snowball record with this next system. Pretty crazy that they do it and not Syracuse. That record was held for 41 years. They are only .9" away.

Don't know why but I'm extremely aggravated that this is actually going to happen...

18 minutes ago, Weedlover420gramz said:

Looks like a high of 38F so far today, and this was supposed to be one of the 'warmer' days this week :rolleyes: looks like we won't reach 40F again until Saturday. Keep in mind the average high this time of year is already in the mid-50s...

Your name is amazing. Welcome to the forums. ^_^

7 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

After this incredible stretch of extended late winter I have to change my seasonal grade from a B to an A - due to the longevity of it although I guess some of you might downgrade it since you don’t like the cold and snow in mid April but to me it’s been absolutely incredible to see such sustained cold and snowy periods this late in the season. I will likley end the season in the 125”-130” range which puts me a solid 15-20” above average and with the lake effect events early in December combined with the incredible cold this has actually turned out to be one of my favorite winters. The only reason I don’t give it an A or A+ is because of the 3 week almost summertime warmth stretch in February and no blockbuster lake effect event of 2 feet or more but that can’t be expected every season and every season is always going to have a thaw. Pretty incredible that besides February every month from November through April will be below average temps and some well below average. All in all a great winter!

Solid winter for sure.  We missed out on any big historic events but you can't have those every year.  We did have a pretty impactful lake effect season.  The Bills Game... The out of no where mid day Blizzard Warning for the metro... Some synoptic hits... A mini ice storm... This winter had a bit of everything.  Never got dangerously cold, just stayed cold and snowed consistsntly.  With the exception of the Feburary Thaw we kept even a minimal snowpack almost the entire season.

But yeah it is time to flip the switch now for some sun and at least the 50s

Right on.
Solid winter.
S**t spring.

What Spring? There has been 0 semblence of a Spring so far this season. Spring peepers haven't bothered my Home yet. Usually the first heavy rain, or warm temps bring them out in droves. One night I came home and I couldn't see the face of my garage doors, lol, all Spring peepers!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

That’s impossible. Sun angle is too high. 

I know we all have been making jabs at the sun angle thing but it really is quite accurate.  In order to accumulate snow on roadways this time of year it requires extremely high rates which is pretty unlikely.   

No one says it doesnt snow in April because of the sun angle, snow just doesnt accumulate on roadways because of the sun angle.  

Some crazy stats for BUF thru first 19 days of April:

* At least a trace of snow has fallen on 14 of the first 19 days of the month (at least 0.1 inch on 12 days).

* Avg temp thru yesterday was 8.2 deg below normal.  I expect that will drop further after today.

* Precip is 1.63 inches above average.

* Temp has been at or below freezing for a low on all but 2 days.

* Robins have been seen frozen in place, Al Gore was caught crying on the shores of Lake Erie, and local residents have switched to a diet rich in whale blubber to increase body fat in an effort to stay warm when leaving their homes.

Ok, the last one was slightly embellished, but pretty remarkable month we're having...

Archived