Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Another inch of new snow on my car when I got out of the gym. I'd say 4" or so on the day here, roads are sloppy. Liquid Equiv is probably 1:8. Up and over 150" on the year. Definitely worthy of at least a WWA. 

3.8" here. Still coming down moderately. Could pick up a couple more inches tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Dud of an ice storm. Can’t believe some of u weenies wanting to move to “warmer climate”, be gone! Lol

Me? Still hoping on one more. CMC gives us the perfect track. And it happens at night. 6”+ region wide. Buckle up, it’s happening. 

Snow weenies vs. Sun weenies. Lol. Actually, if you move to Maine, you'll get snow and sun. I wouldn't mind a couple of big coastals per month with sun in between during the winter months. Although the bugs up there are brutal in the spring, brutal.

12/32km 12z NAM has same track as well.

The Niagara Frontier has great weather, folks. Four or five months of sweltering humidity, heat waves above 100F? That's life in much of the eastern US. Tornadoes are a fascinating weather phenomenon, but being from the upper south, I've been though the two worst tornado outbreaks of the last five decades, 1974 (as a child) and 2011, and I'm so happy to live nowhere near tornado country anymore. We don't get upper Midwest deep freeze air. We know how to take care of snow when it falls, and pretty much everyone knows how to drive in winter weather. The sunny, warm (but not scorching or steamy) summers here are a dream elsewhere - in the southeast, most people barely spend any daylight time outdoors between June and September because it's that brutal. Running and biking and golfing are done as early in the day as possible. The only kind of crappy time of the year here is the spring mud season, but that's maybe a month or two of on and off slop, after which we get that late May warm-up. There are some great western climates, but Buffalo has great weather, as long as you can enjoy snow.

14 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

3.8" here. Still coming down moderately. Could pick up a couple more inches tomorrow.

I had not idea this was going on last night just 50 miles west.  We had snow in the air all evening and even heavy bursts but we never even got a coating on the ground.  Thats impressive.

2 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Dud of an ice storm. Can’t believe some of u weenies wanting to move to “warmer climate”, be gone! Lol

Me? Still hoping on one more. CMC gives us the perfect track. And it happens at night. 6”+ region wide. Buckle up, it’s happening. gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_10.png

In regards to the ice storm, I guess it ended up being a bit of a dud but it was nearly a perfect setup and we missed a catastrophic event by a hair. I think we should all be thankful for that.  If we had a little bit better moisture feed we would still be without power.

As for the Thursday storm, the frame you posed is at 8am so hardly over night.  I can't see surface temps allowing much accumulation.  I'm over it, this is just nuisance bull**** snow now.  I have my bees coming this weekend, I'm screwed with this weather.  I'm ready to get out in the yard!

Gotta say, the weather the last 45 days has been eye opening for me in terms of what's possible around here.  I always felt like winter was fleeting at best after the middle of March.  Sure, snow is always possible, and even likely into early April, but winter ends up fighting a losing battle with spring (sun angle, warmer temps, blah blah - here today, gone tomorrow).  But after seeing a not terribly deep snow pack sit and turn into a mini glacier from the middle to end of March, despite day after day of sun...and then seeing over an inch of sleet on the ground in mid April sit in place for a day, followed the next day (yesterday) by a wind driven 3-5" of snow which mostly accumulated during the daylight...and followed today (April 17th!) by a Currier and Ives snow day with big fluffy flakes dropping from the sky refreshing a solid snow pack (all while a "mid August sun angle" takes cover somewhere behind the gray cloud deck)....I'll never doubt winter's staying power through April again.  

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Gotta say, the weather the last 45 days has been eye opening for me in terms of what's possible around here.  I always felt like winter was fleeting at best after the middle of March.  Sure, snow is always possible, and even likely into early April, but winter ends up fighting a losing battle with spring (sun angle, warmer temps, blah blah - here today, gone tomorrow).  But after seeing a not terribly deep snow pack sit and turn into a mini glacier from the middle to end of March, despite day after day of sun...and then seeing over an inch of sleet on the ground in mid April sit in place for a day, followed the next day (yesterday) by a wind driven 3-5" of snow which mostly accumulated during the daylight...and followed today (April 17th!) by a Currier and Ives snow day with big fluffy flakes dropping from the sky refreshing a solid snow pack (all while a "mid August sun angle" takes cover somewhere behind the gray cloud deck)....I'll never doubt winter's staying power through April again.  

Great post!  I feel the same way.  I have a whole new respect for how long winter can hang on around here.  Its crazy to think that it can and has snowed well into May and can sometimes snow in Late September.  So really we only have 3 whole months where snow isnt possible, pretty insane.  If you really want to bookend it, we had 10.7 inches of snow on May 7th, 1989 and Buffalo got nearly 24 inches of snow on October 12 and 13th 2006.  That leaves any point in between those dates in play for a significant storms. 

A slightly different data point is that Whiteface mountain got 36 inches of snow on Memorial day 4 years ago!  That still completely blows my mind.   Winter can be a very long season around here.

29 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

In regards to the ice storm, I guess it ended up being a bit of a dud but it was nearly a perfect setup and we missed a catastrophic event by a hair. I think we should all be thankful for that.  If we had a little bit better moisture feed we would still be without power.

As for the Thursday storm, the frame you posed is at 8am so hardly over night.  I can't see surface temps allowing much accumulation.  I'm over it, this is just nuisance bull**** snow now.  I have my bees coming this weekend, I'm screwed with this weather.  I'm ready to get out in the yard!

Have you been keeping bees for long or is this the first time? I had a hive for about 5 years when we lived in Virginia, enjoyed having them quite a bit. Never got much honey though because of droughty springs. We even had a 2-frame observation hive inside the house for a while, that was really interesting. Eventually they swarmed out and didn't leave enough behind to continue.

5 minutes ago, coh said:

Have you been keeping bees for long or is this the first time? I had a hive for about 5 years when we lived in Virginia, enjoyed having them quite a bit. Never got much honey though because of droughty springs. We even had a 2-frame observation hive inside the house for a while, that was really interesting. Eventually they swarmed out and didn't leave enough behind to continue.

Been doing it for about 6 years now.  I had 8 hives last summer but lost 7 over the winter which  sucks; and I have 1 just barely hanging on now....with this current weather they may not make it as they are much weaker today than they were just 3 weeks ago.  Mites are a major contributor to my losses, I'm finally going to start treating this year.

As for honey, I had my best year last year.  I harvested 204lbs from 5 hives.  A decent haul.  

Also, very cool that you had an observation hive.  That is a huge goal of mine.  I keep bees more because I like bees than for the honey.  

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Been doing it for about 6 years now.  I had 8 hives last summer but lost 7 over the winter which  sucks; and I have 1 just barely hanging on now....with this current weather they may not make it as they are much weaker today than they were just 3 weeks ago.  Mites are a major contributor to my losses, I'm finally going to start treating this year.

As for honey, I had my best year last year.  I harvested 204lbs from 5 hives.  A decent haul.  

Sorry to hear about the losses. Our outdoor hive died off right before we moved, not sure what happened as they seemed to have plenty of stores. Was treating for mites (varroa and tracheal) back then, with strips that had some pesticide on them (can't remember the name) and menthol that was placed on top of the hive. Had to remove during honey flows as I recall. Maybe treatments have improved in the past 15 years since I did it.

Few years ago we had a swarm show up and take up residence in a wall of our barn. Unfortunately they didn't survive through the first winter. Still smells like wax and honey in there on a warm day.

2 hours ago, WNash said:

The Niagara Frontier has great weather, folks. Four or five months of sweltering humidity, heat waves above 100F? That's life in much of the eastern US. Tornadoes are a fascinating weather phenomenon, but being from the upper south, I've been though the two worst tornado outbreaks of the last five decades, 1974 (as a child) and 2011, and I'm so happy to live nowhere near tornado country anymore. We don't get upper Midwest deep freeze air. We know how to take care of snow when it falls, and pretty much everyone knows how to drive in winter weather. The sunny, warm (but not scorching or steamy) summers here are a dream elsewhere - in the southeast, most people barely spend any daylight time outdoors between June and September because it's that brutal. Running and biking and golfing are done as early in the day as possible. The only kind of crappy time of the year here is the spring mud season, but that's maybe a month or two of on and off slop, after which we get that late May warm-up. There are some great western climates, but Buffalo has great weather, as long as you can enjoy snow.

Yeah, this is true. I do love tornadoes and hurricanes though. My family down in south FLorida got hit last year and they said it was bad, but it was a fun experience haha. I just get the winter blues in late March-April timeframe every year. I need warmth and sun right about now. I love the heat, so the south wouldn't bother me. I'd get home from work everyday, go play tennis, volleyball, hit up the beach. It would never get old to me.

54 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

a "mid August sun angle" 

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. The equinox was exactly 28 days ago (almost to the minute of your post, actually). So the sun angle today almost exactly matches August 25, which averages 77F/60F, and with lots of sunlight minutes, I'm sure.

49 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Great post!  I feel the same way.  I have a whole new respect for how long winter can hang on around here.  Its crazy to think that it can and has snowed well into May and can sometimes snow in Late September.  So really we only have 3 whole months where snow isnt possible, pretty insane.  If you really want to bookend it, we had 10.7 inches of snow on May 7th, 1989 and Buffalo got nearly 24 inches of snow on October 12 and 13th 2006.  That leaves any point in between those dates in play for a significant storms. 

A slightly different data point is that Whiteface mountain got 36 inches of snow on Memorial day 4 years ago!  That still completely blows my mind.   Winter can be a very long season around here.

My wife swears that she saw snowflakes in early June back in the late 80s or early 90s at her aunt's house outside Springville (about 1800').

Thursday into Friday looks like it could be a solid 2-4” maybe a tad more since it looks like this will be happening at night, not that we can’t get accumulation during the day as the last 2 days have proven. I’m working in Bemus Point today, almost 8” of snow here and snowing like crazy... unbelievable April. 

18 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I know Rochester had a mid May snowstorm. I think 1988. Several inches. 

This Weds/Thursday event has my interest. Could be a memorable one. I too am almost ready for nice weather but I’d never turn down a snowstorm! 

I just posted about this like 10 posts up man, haha. 

May 7th, 1989.  10.7 inches of snow in Rochester.  It's the classic mothers day storm.  

2 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Thursday into Friday looks like it could be a solid 2-4” maybe a tad more since it looks like this will be happening at night, not that we can’t get accumulation during the day as the last 2 days have proven. I’m working in Bemus Point today, almost 8” of snow here and snowing like crazy... unbelievable April. 

What am I missing about this storm?  It appears to hit squarely during daylight hours, or at least the portion of the storm that would offer snow chances hits during the daylight.  Am I ****ing up my Z conversion?

May 17, 1973, the date of my last final exam my freshman year at Cornell my father had to drive from Little Falls to Ithaca in a snowstorm to bring me home. As I recall Oneonta got something like 10 inches. Lower elevations across central/eastern New York got a few inches. 

2 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

May 17, 1973, the date of my last final exam my freshman year at Cornell my father had to drive from Little Falls to Ithaca in a snowstorm to bring me home. As I recall Oneonta got something like 10 inches. Lower elevations across central/eastern New York got a few inches. 

What? The bus wasn't running? ;)

My brother in-law was born during the may 89 event...it is odd to think our sun angle is so high yet the smowpack holds strong...i believe we had almost 20 days of continuous snowpack March 1st this year to the 20th...i also don't remember that happening at lower terrain. This has been one exceptional winter grip.

After this incredible stretch of extended late winter I have to change my seasonal grade from a B to an A - due to the longevity of it although I guess some of you might downgrade it since you don’t like the cold and snow in mid April but to me it’s been absolutely incredible to see such sustained cold and snowy periods this late in the season. I will likley end the season in the 125”-130” range which puts me a solid 15-20” above average and with the lake effect events early in December combined with the incredible cold this has actually turned out to be one of my favorite winters. The only reason I don’t give it an A or A+ is because of the 3 week almost summertime warmth stretch in February and no blockbuster lake effect event of 2 feet or more but that can’t be expected every season and every season is always going to have a thaw. Pretty incredible that besides February every month from November through April will be below average temps and some well below average. All in all a great winter!

Archived