inches per hour are expected in the heavy snow bands. Northeast
winds gusting to 35 to 50 mph will create significant areas of
blowing and drifting snow and may cause some tree damage and
sporadic power outages.

Motorist can expect widespread visibilities of a quarter of a
mile or less through mid afternoon, and at times down to near
zero due to the heavy snow and blowing snow. Additional snow
accumulations through late evening will be in the 5 to 10 inch
range on top of what already has fallen.

This is a historic April snowstorm that is expected to produce
15 to 30 inches across much of the area with locally higher
amounts.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LivingstonWx said:

:o

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Green Bay WI
1137 AM CDT Sun Apr 15 2018

WIZ022-038>040-048>050-073-074-151945-
Door-Outagamie-Brown-Kewaunee-Winnebago-Calumet-Manitowoc-
Southern Marinette County-Southern Oconto County-
1137 AM CDT Sun Apr 15 2018

...HISTORIC APRIL SNOWSTORM CONTINUES TO BRING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS
THIS AFTERNOON...

Radar indicated a large band of moderate to heavy snow across much
of northeast Wisconsin. This band of snow will continue through
mid afternoon, then gradually taper off to light snow or light
freezing drizzle late this afternoon. Snowfall rates of 1 to 3
inches per hour are expected in the heavy snow bands. Northeast
winds gusting to 35 to 50 mph will create significant areas of
blowing and drifting snow and may cause some tree damage and
sporadic power outages.

Motorist can expect widespread visibilities of a quarter of a
mile or less through mid afternoon, and at times down to near
zero due to the heavy snow and blowing snow. Additional snow
accumulations through late evening will be in the 5 to 10 inch
range on top of what already has fallen.

This is a historic April snowstorm that is expected to produce
15 to 30 inches across much of the area with locally higher
amounts.

Not possible with April sun angle.  Ignore that statement. 33 degrees here. Also not possible at 3pm in mid April.

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I will be probably be moving to a warmer climate the next few years. I’m dreading coming home to the cold.

My wife and I are literally counting the days until we can move someplace warmer.

Unfortunately, there are still probably over 2500 of them before we get to that point, due to job issues...sigh.

Awesome bro, hope everything works out!!! 

I myself have a house inspection tomorrow in Altmar/Orwell, as long as the house passes inspection and the loan doesn’t fall through I will be moving north in the beginning of June..

I showed my girl pics of buffs vacation and said this is where I move in 30 years when the house is paid off and I’m tired of the snow, all systems are a go lol

14 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I will be probably be moving to a warmer climate the next few years. I’m dreading coming home to the cold.

It's so hard to believe that the guy who chases lake effect storms (on foot sometimes) is so intolerant of the cold. Hopefully you'll still track storms with us wherever you end up.

42 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

It's so hard to believe that the guy who chases lake effect storms (on foot sometimes) is so intolerant of the cold. Hopefully you'll still track storms with us wherever you end up.

As much as this cold sucks especially at this time of year I couldn’t imagine moving somewhere warm with little to no snow. In fact my next house I want it somewhere colder and snowier (Boston Hills). 

I don't mind snow and cold, but there's just too much of it up here for me. That and the almost complete lack of sun from November to March wears on me. We lived in Virginia before moving back up here and I found that climate much more appropriate for me. You get some winter, but in small doses...and long sunny springs, hot summers, nice falls. But everyone is different.

I don't think I could ever live somewhere like Florida but have been thinking about moving out west. We really don't know where we want to retire to but we know it's not here.

1 minute ago, coh said:

I don't mind snow and cold, but there's just too much of it up here for me. That and the almost complete lack of sun from November to March wears on me. We lived in Virginia before moving back up here and I found that climate much more appropriate for me. You get some winter, but in small doses...and long sunny springs, hot summers, nice falls. But everyone is different.

I don't think I could ever live somewhere like Florida but have been thinking about moving out west. We really don't know where we want to retire to but we know it's not here.

Out west is fantastic. I almost moved to Laramie Wyoming a couple years ago and I was very excited about the weather. Cold and somewhat snowy winters (50-60” average), but lots of mild ups and sunshine galore. Drive 1 hour west into the snowy mountains and your talking 300” a year...plenty of snow to be in heaven.

There are obviously many factors that go into deciding where to live besides the climate. My wife and I are both northeasterners, she is from Connecticut and I was born in the Mohawk Valley. Growing up, being able to deal with severe winter weather was a fact of life and fostered my love of snow. As I get older dealing with winter becomes more of a pain but I love living where there are 4 distinct seasons and an imminent major snow storm still gets the juices flowing. Besides I am retired and can sit in my warm house watching the snow fall, monitoring things on the internet and don’t have to go out until conditions improve. My wife is still working and hates driving in bad weather so when it’s really bad I can get my fix by driving her to her job. When she retires I can see us going someplace warm in the heart of winter for a couple of weeks but otherwise I don’t see us leaving CNY. 

As we sit here on January 106th, it's natural to dream of warmer climates. I'm wondering if the weak solar cycle and rapid collapse of sunspot activity into an early minimum in this cycle is gradually doing its dirty work. A lot of moving pieces to climate and probably impossible to pick out any tangible weather impacts.  Something to keep an eye on down the road.

21 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm counting down the days too, Upstate NY is brutal. I'm thinking of moving down to Philly after graduation, at least it's 10-12F warmer year round and gets a lot more sunshine

6 hours ago, coh said:

It's not even how cold the winter is, more about how long it lasts. I can handle winter in 2/3 month doses. Upstate doesn't work that way, the winter starts in November and can easily last into April and May. By April it gets infuriating waking up to 40F temps and seeing snow outside

We can nitpick on the lack of Spring but I feel pretty fortunate to live here.  Hot Summers, typically nice Autumns, eventful Winters and minimal risk for true catastrophic weather/phenomena (tsumami, wildfire, hurricane, tornado, list goes on).  I think this endless winter is getting to some of you!

40 minutes ago, WxNoob said:

We can nitpick on the lack of Spring but I feel pretty fortunate to live here.  Hot Summers, typically nice Autumns, eventful Winters and minimal risk for true catastrophic weather/phenomena (tsumami, wildfire, hurricane, tornado, list goes on).  I think this endless winter is getting to some of you!

The rest of the year is not too bad, but late winter and spring here are just atrocious. Keep the rest of the year as it is, but I'd like the February-May period to be like 15F warmer. By April I'd like consistent highs in the 60s and 70s, and at least constant 50s by March

8 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Almost 2” down in WS. Roads are a freakin absolute disaster. Puking at 1”hr+ and it’s the heaviest fricken snow since October 2006. Thruway is total gridlock. Unbelievable.

How is that possible with this April sun angle??  So confusing. 

2.5” and still coming down moderately. Roads are a mess, took me almost 45 minutes to drive home from work (about 9 miles)...

just got done shoveling the driveway on APRIL 16th. And now some 10 minutes later it’s already covered again. 

Some photos from from my house and my drive home about 2 hours ago...

https://image.ibb.co/gAPFHS/2_E50_DC23_B894_450_C_A22_B_00_DA59_CF91_F9.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/jMvpcS/1_A5_E0252_A1_CC_41_BE_8858_95_DC5_CA08_FFB.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/guC2xS/3_F25_E8_A1_D5_F2_4_C3_E_825_A_59_E07579_BCC7.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/fOKJ47/6_CE57_DFF_72_E8_474_F_8_C00_5765_F107_A8_A2.jpg

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

lol :weep:

D153BE21-02B8-4563-A467-4505A4C721C8.jpeg

Glad to see you made it back safely! Nice welcome back surprise, eh?!

how did you get a photo uploaded like that, can't figure it out, when I paste a link and it embeds it doesn't show up. It will only let me post a link, and trying to upload a picture through the uploader says I can only upload a photo 1.95mb or smaller.

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

Glad to see you made it back safely! Nice welcome back surprise, eh?!

how did you get a photo uploaded like that, can't figure it out, when I paste a link and it embeds it doesn't show up. It will only let me post a link, and trying to upload a picture through the uploader says I can only upload a photo 1.95mb or smaller.

There are two ways to do it. You can click click insert media from your phone and depending on what size you can post right from there. You can also download a resize app to get it below 1.95 MB. Or you can use IMGUR to upload and copy forum link and paste it right to the forums. I have it set up where every picture/video I take gets uploaded instantly to my PC which makes it easy. The one I posted above is right from my phone. 

Archived