SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Near surface freezing line is dropping south nicely.  Lets see if it gets hung up on lake Ontario for a bit.  

freeze.thumb.JPG.1f7ba4fedc9d71ea06640a6c8d9d8e67.JPG

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16#

Weather Underground obs along the lake shore all show big drops in DP over the past couple hours...down to mid-upper 20s. Temps in mid-30s and dropping slowly.

So what would you guys do?  I am supposed to head to Buffalo this afternoon and stay the night for a friends birthday (He flew in).  I'm reluctant to leave because I have a flood prone basement that will certainly have issues within hours of the power going out.  

In my gut I think this will be a non event, just too many factors working against it.  I know we'll get a glaze but I just doubt it will be more than that.  That said, If I **** this up and we get a half inch of ice or more, I could be stuck in Buffalo while my house floods.  Would be a very costly decision.  I also don't want to sit in my house alone tonight as my friends and wife all have a great time in B-lo and we get nothing more than a cold rain and glaze. (Also making me look like a bit of an idiot)

11 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

So what would you guys do?  I am supposed to head to Buffalo this afternoon and stay the night for a friends birthday (He flew in).  I'm reluctant to leave because I have a flood prone basement that will certainly have issues within hours of the power going out.  

In my gut I think this will be a non event, just too many factors working against it.  I know we'll get a glaze but I just doubt it will be more than that.  That said, If I **** this up and we get a half inch of ice or more, I could be stuck in Buffalo while my house floods.  Would be a very costly decision.  I also don't want to sit in my house alone tonight as my friends and wife all have a great time in B-lo and we get nothing more than a cold rain and glaze. (Also making me look like a bit of an idiot)

Delta I'm in the camp over over prepare. My gut has been saying the exact opposite of your gut and this has the feel of 2006 all over again except with ice. No one and I mean no one thought that scenario would ever unfold in early to mid October, but with it happening at night the diurnal effects were negated. I just got a text from delta sonic that they are closing at 2pm today in preparation of the ice storm. Imo this is an easy call and one that should be heeded.

11 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Delta I'm in the camp over over prepare. My gut has been saying the exact opposite of your gut and this has the feel of 2006 all over again except with ice. No one and I mean no one thought that scenario would ever unfold in early to mid October, but with it happening at night the diurnal effects were negated. I just got a text from delta sonic that they are closing at 2pm today in preparation of the ice storm. Imo this is an easy call and one that should be heeded.

You're probably right.  I know it's stupid to leave, just don't want to over react here.  That said, I was just gassing up the chainsaw and running the generator, charging batteries, etc.  

I've got 33.5/26.0 on my weather station. It was 35 two hours ago. Winds are already quite gusty. At this point, I think we have to hope that the precip forecast is overdone or wrongly placed, or that the cold air is deep enough to change the precip over to sleet for a good part of the event (I'm encouraged by how well the colder NAM sounding forecast from last night matched the BUF raob this morning).

2 minutes ago, coh said:

I've got 33.5/26.0 on my weather station. It was 35 two hours ago. Winds are already quite gusty. At this point, I think we have to hope that the precip forecast is overdone or wrongly placed, or that the cold air is deep enough to change the precip over to sleet for a good part of the event (I'm encouraged by how well the colder NAM sounding forecast from last night matched the BUF raob this morning).

With the south shore temp drops, wouldn't be surprise to see Wayne and N Cayuga and Oswego get into the ISW...

I can not believe the winds here already. Gusting to 40mph here already and power has already flickered twice to where it reset the cable box, clocks, etc.... not a good sign when we haven't even seen a single rain drop yet. I would definitely stay behind just in case or you will be so sorry you left. I went out this morning and bought a generator (only second year in my house, haven't had the need to even consider one yet before today), stocked up on food, gassed up the cars, making sure all electronic devices are charged. 

29 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I can not believe the winds here already. Gusting to 40mph here already and power has already flickered twice to where it reset the cable box, clocks, etc.... not a good sign when we haven't even seen a single rain drop yet. I would definitely stay behind just in case or you will be so sorry you left. I went out this morning and bought a generator (only second year in my house, haven't had the need to even consider one yet before today), stocked up on food, gassed up the cars, making sure all electronic devices are charged. 

Where the #%&! did you find one!!! I called all over Western effing NY and everyone was sold out!

17 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Where the #%&! did you find one!!! I called all over Western effing NY and everyone was sold out!

I went to Home Depot next to the McKinley Mall in Blasdell this morning as soon as the doors opened at 6am. Last generator of the kind I bought (Ryobi), 1 Dewalt left but I think it was $1000. I payed $400 for mine. 

Archived