joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, vortmax said:

Can't imagine there's a lot lof analogs to compare. How close are the factor for the 2 events?

Well it's the closest synoptic set up using many synoptic parameters, CIPS compares to every day. The April 12, 2013 set up was a bad ice storm in the higher elevations north and west of Toronto. 

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/DFHR.php?reg=EC&fhr=F036&rundt=2018041312&map=tbl

analogs.PNG

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

Well it's the closest synoptic set up using many synoptic parameters, CIPS compares to every day. The April 12, 2013 set up was a bad ice storm in the higher elevations north and west of Toronto. 

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/DFHR.php?reg=EC&fhr=F036&rundt=2018041312&map=tbl

analogs.PNG

I see how it works. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, coh said:

The new NWS discussion (BUF) barely mentions the freezing rain threat except for Jefferson County. I find this absolutely unbelievable. I won't claim to know what is going to happen this weekend, but given the model forecasts it seems almost criminal to brush this aside in this manner.

They have to be coming out with another update. They don't even mention anything about the rest of their forecast area.

2 minutes ago, vortmax said:

They have to be coming out with another update. They don't even mention anything about the rest of their forecast area.

I don't know what the heck they are waiting for. The actual zone forecast for Rochester for Sat night is "freezing rain with winds 20-30 mph with gusts to 45 mph". That sounds like it should warrant a winter storm watch (at least) or warning.

5 minutes ago, coh said:

I don't know what the heck they are waiting for. The actual zone forecast for Rochester for Sat night is "freezing rain with winds 20-30 mph with gusts to 45 mph". That sounds like it should warrant a winter storm watch (at least) or warning.

Must be coordinating with other offices and trying to get this one right. It's a low-confidence forecast with tons of bust potential.

9 minutes ago, vortmax said:

They just updated the products. Expanded the advisory to include the Southern Tier. Changed the wording to “Ice accumulations around a half inch expected”. I would think with those types of accumulations and the strong winds forecast this would definitely be a warning, especially this late in the season. People will take it more seriously then a WWA which people always say is for “insignificant” events. Guess the headline of advisory vs warning won’t make a difference in what actually happens but it just seems to me that this is more warning criteria than not...

3 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

They just updated the products. Expanded the advisory to include the Southern Tier. Changed the wording to “Ice accumulations around a half inch expected”. I would think with those types of accumulations and the strong winds forecast this would definitely be a warning, especially this late in the season. People will take it more seriously then a WWA which people always say is for “insignificant” events. Guess the headline of advisory vs warning won’t actually make a difference in what actually happens but it just seems to me that this is more warning criteria than not...

Exactly...people need to understand the potential risk here and I don't think the information being put out by BUF does that.

Got a new blade for my chainsaw, got fresh gas, batteries, filters and oil for the generator...think I'm about as prepared as can be. We'll see what happens.

Looks like different NWS offices use different standards:

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI
303 PM EDT Fri Apr 13 2018

...Freezing rain expected Saturday morning through Sunday
morning...

MIZ047>049-053>055-141800-
/O.UPG.KDTX.WS.A.0002.180414T0800Z-180415T1600Z/
/O.NEW.KDTX.WS.W.0007.180414T1200Z-180415T1600Z/
Midland-Bay-Huron-Saginaw-Tuscola-Sanilac-
Including the cities of Midland, Bay City, Bad Axe, Saginaw,
Caro, and Sandusky
303 PM EDT Fri Apr 13 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM SATURDAY TO NOON EDT
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Rain will transition to freezing rain during Saturday
  morning. Freezing rain will mix with sleet at times during the
  day before transitioning back to freezing rain Saturday night.
  Total ice accretion of one quarter to one half inch is possible.
  Strong wind...especially near the Lake Huron shoreline...may
  result in additional downed trees and power lines.

* WHERE...Midland, Bay, Huron, Saginaw, Tuscola and Sanilac
  Counties.

* WHEN...From 8 AM Saturday to noon EDT Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Power outages and tree damage are likely
  due to ice. Travel will become hazardous on untreated roads.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for freezing rain means significant ice
will make travel very hazardous or impossible.

19 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

KBUF doesn't seemed concerned at all over this event...

I'm guessing it's because they feel we will stay under the critical amounts of ice needed for widespread damage.  From past experience we can handle a quarter inch of ice with virtually no problems.  At a half inch of ice things start to get dicey with sporadic limb damage but we still maintain for the most part.  It's after .5" that things go downhill quickly and I guess they really don't see that as plausible.  From past experience this winter, we know that the model outputs for frozen precip are completely ridiculous and often 2, 3 or even 4 times higher than what actually comes to fruition.  The wind is a bit of a wild card that could make normally innocent amounts of glaze result in damage..but that is hard to bank on.  Buffalo is making a bold stand here.  Additionally, Binghamton barely even devotes a full sentence to the freezing rain threat for their northern zones.  It's pretty exciting when you don't know what to expect and one outcome could be damn near apocalyptic...

11 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Guess they will wait till it turns back to rain to issue a warning. They are kinda pathetic with certain situations

When is the last time they blew a forecast bad enough that it caused actual tangible issues?  I can't really think of one.  They missed some snow forecasts this year but they also didnt bite when outputs called for absurd amounts of snow.  They do a pretty decent job.  Tomorrow night will be a big test though, I can't argue with that.  Very exciting.

19 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Gfs now shows almost a inch of freezing rain in rochester

Divide that number by 2 or 3 and you'll get the actual amount. 

Just now, tim123 said:

Delta this is not snow. Its rain. Does much better with straight liquid

Fair enough, but I don't think you can say that all that rain will freeze, especially if rates are high and temps are marginal.  I'm not trying to argue either, just playing devils advocate and trying to understand where they are coming from.  I think Buf does a really good job, perhaps I'm biased (and certainly alone in that sentiment around here)

5 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Delta this is not snow. Its rain. Does much better with straight liquid

True, but accretion is the key. Not all that precipitation will freeze. 

I think the key bust situation here is if temperatures stay below freezing longer than they think. 

Archived