• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
MetHerb

Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

Funny, went for a hike and ski at Stowe (snowmaking lasts a long time) and the guy I run into on this gorgeous day is JSpin doing the same thing.  

Still 17" at the Mansfield Stake as of yesterday evening's report.

• Like 2

One thing I noticed today hiking... was that it still looks like late November for vegetation.

I think it was a month ago, we were talking about it looking like nuclear winter with no leaves or anything in some spots.  Still looks like that in the mountains.

Beautiful weather though, spring green growth has to hit the hills sometime.

5aTUpCM.jpg

I'm not sure what I missed this week other than some storms on Monday.  But I do know that the last day I was home was Saturday with rain and a high of 45*.  I'm 40 minutes  out of BDL at the moment and I guess I'm returning to a rainy Saturday with a high of 55*.  Alas.

Well, SAN and SFO were fantastic.

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Re MHT: OceanStWx needs to go out and re-calibrate that thermo. It's been running way to warm for awhile now. 

heh...2.3F warmer than CON on max temps for May. It does seem a little fishy. They have the UHI going on there so I don’t compare mins or means. I think MADIS played with their algorithm a bit at the start of winter (knocked me closer to 0F error...used to think I was too cool), but it doesn’t account for the CON/MHT disparity.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:22 PM, wxmanmitch said:

Here as well, they just starting biting within the past couple of days. Someone on Twitter recommended Thermacell...I may pick one up and give it a try as deet doesn't seem to be that effective against them. 

Deet doesn't work on black flies, lemon/eucalyptus spray does. Also spray on pant legs to keep ticks away. 

• Like 1

^^ I use an essential oils cocktail of tea tree, cedarwood, lavender and eucalyptus for bug repellent. It seems to work for nearly everything :) Ticks truly hate it and flying insects will swarm around your head but rarely land and then not for more than a couple of seconds, rarely long enough to sting. I spray it pretty much everywhere, it does kind of suck when the sweat brings it into your eyes  but only for a moment :wacko:  8-10 drops of each mixed with about 6oz water in a small spray bottle and sprayed in a fine mist from head to toe paying close attention to lower legs and clothing openings especially the back of the neck.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

^^ I use an essential oils cocktail of tea tree, cedarwood, lavender and eucalyptus for bug repellent. It seems to work for nearly everything :) Ticks truly hate it and flying insects will swarm around your head but rarely land and then not for more than a couple of seconds, rarely long enough to sting. I spray it pretty much everywhere, it does kind of suck when the sweat brings it into your eyes  but only for a moment :wacko:  8-10 drops of each mixed with about 6oz water in a small spray bottle and sprayed in a fine mist from head to toe paying close attention to lower legs and clothing openings especially the back of the neck.

I particularly like the fact that I can spray the mixture in my hair to help keep the swarms away from my head. No way in heck I would ever spray Deet in my hair. You can actually order the lemon/eucalyptus spray online, and maybe I remember seeing it at Wal-Mart. Used it when I did survey work for invasive forest pests. Spending 12 he days in the Woods, my coworkers used to have contests at the end of the day counting ticks they pulled off them. Using the lemon/eucalyptus spray all over my pants maybe once a week a would have 1 crawling on my pants at the end of the day, versus the 20+ my coworkers were dealing with

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

Anyone ever convert a window AC unit to a wood stove? If so, please send the plans along...

I know guys who have converted old file cabinets to arches for maple sugaring so I guess it would possible.  You'll need some ceramic blanket and bricks and fabricate a steel door but I guess it would be possible.  I through the window stove....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

One of the few times I am happy to have to work 18 hrs on Sat, 47 degrees and drizzle. Happy Torch

Glad we don’t live there. 56F and full sun morning here. At least part of the day wasn’t a waste. 

8 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Glad we don’t live there. 56F and full sun morning here. At least part of the day wasn’t a waste. 

Yea man sh itty week, 10 hrs of sun since 5/12

2 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I particularly like the fact that I can spray the mixture in my hair to help keep the swarms away from my head. No way in heck I would ever spray Deet in my hair. You can actually order the lemon/eucalyptus spray online, and maybe I remember seeing it at Wal-Mart. Used it when I did survey work for invasive forest pests. Spending 12 he days in the Woods, my coworkers used to have contests at the end of the day counting ticks they pulled off them. Using the lemon/eucalyptus spray all over my pants maybe once a week a would have 1 crawling on my pants at the end of the day, versus the 20+ my coworkers were dealing with

Made in Mass.

http://ticemoff.com

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Eisenhower once famously quipped .. "Beware the industrial military complex"  ...  A warning as to the morality, and perhaps eventually the loss of very freedoms when using the military to sow the seeds of economic growth.  Conquer nation with the military -> rebuilding spurs economic growth at home, ...move on, rinse and repeat.  

I've been musing to my self for some years, 'Beware the industrial food complex,' as apropos. 

Pretty much all the major health concerns of the industrialized societies of the planet are presently being linked to processed consumables; and by 'consumption,' this doesn't just mean foods though... It's the whole chemistry to medicines... for better living slogan of the mid 20th Century, and yes the foods we ate/eat as well, and everything and anything both topical and ingested in between. 

Evolution and biology provided things like Eucalyptus oils and so forth.. .yet, chemical industry and economic engines marketed a mere five decades of research as being somehow superior to ...oh, 100 million years of distilling evolutionary nature.

I don't want to throw the entire industrialized food and medical, house cleaning ... industries, under the proverbial bus, however, as they did provide almost a 100 years of sustained means to provide ubiquitous nourishment and sanitation, and baser health care sciences much more proficiently than the purely agrarian ... leeches and whimsy mean.  It's been a trade off... feed more, cloth more, treat more with medicine, they live a bit longer and population growth ensues... but, you get tumors and heart disease along with -

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Made in Mass.

http://ticemoff.com

"4 years" hardly seems sufficiently long enough to have been fully vetted.. However, the products ingredients, labeled clearly when first opening that URL, benefits from many years of known homeopathic approaches so 'perhaps' (as in ..with caution), it is safe. 

This sentence, however ... " Its non-alcoholic composition enhances skin integrity while increasing its duration of action. ..."  - wtf goes into enhancing skin integrity

• Haha 1

Long stretch of great weather comes to an end.  Super weather this week, flirted with high clouds from time to time but much of the time sun.

Only .10" of rain so far this month.  Last substantial rain was April 25th.  GFS has me getting about .30" here in my sinkhole just south of the White Mountains.  Will we get more?  Hoping for at least half an inch.

Lots of outdoor May activities this weekend.  I feel bad for those people...