Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

My home town of Baltimore got slammed with T storms today.  SW burbs of Baltimore took the big hit.   Looks like "the 1000 year flood" that hit Ellicott City in 2016 just got repeated. and first reports it crested higher.  Hope there were no deaths.  Water came up very quickly down main street up to the 2nd floors and then receded just as quick.  Looking at the Underground Weather Stations Im seeing some totals in the area from Ellicott City to Catonsville of 9-13".   One station I just clicked on reports 13.3".   

Untitled.jpg

Holy crap.  I have to do some catching up and reading on this event.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I was over at the wannabe KTOL around lunch time when the rain moved in.  Wind was gusty and the temp was a balmy 52 on the car thermo with driving rain.  Temp  was a more comfortable 53 when I got back to Enfield with pouring rain just in time to cancel the parade and move the ceremonies indoors.  

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I know we've probably had a "nicer" May up north in terms of top 10 style days based on a lot of the posts in here... 

But the biggest indication that it's been a nice month to me is not the +1.5 departure, but the actual high/low means.

For MVL down the street, the average high has been 69.9F while the average minimum is 39.5F.

69.9/39.5 is a 30.4 degree difference in the mean max/min and it's very hard to get that sort of separation without A LOT of sunny/clear high diurnal spread days.  

No way would you ever see a >30F spread in an entire month's max/min in an even remotely cloudy month.  At least 3/4ths of the days have been the low-dew, high diurnal spread stuff that can only come from clear skies.

But we're trying hard here.  Thru yesterday the month has had 6 sunny, 14 PC, 6 cloudy days, and unless the sun can burn thru today the clouds will move ahead of the sunnies  Temps are 69.0/39.6, with the past 2 days' sub-20 diurnal ranges pulling us under the 30 mark.  Many years ago in Ft. Kent we had a somewhat similar June - so dry, so cloudy and so cool (including some non-accum snow on 2 days) that the garden was suffering drought and mildew at the same time.

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

May hit 70F by evening here.  But really think it'll top out in the mid 60s.

Euro and NAM have been insisting on that ...

I'm looking around at area obs as I'm sure most have...and there's still an ongoing feeble NE drain.  Said models have the wind going calm, then kicking in light SW mid afternoon -

Meanwhile..hi res vis loops suggest that this air mass is maxed out. It really can not be any more perniciously embedded east of the Apps... Take the average elevation of the cordillera, and anywhere east of that axis is filled to the brim with this toxic sludge.  The only way out of this reservoir is one of three ways:  have the atmosphere, en masse, turn around and move out; have the sun heat it enough to start run-away evaporation; some combination of both.  The problem is, it's so thick and dense and maxed out...any combination of those processes is going to be a painfully slow process to pot watchers.

In the meantime, I agree, it doesn't lend to 70.  We'll see. I think this next hour ..as in now through noon is telling.. If some sky-lights unzip ...that will set the momentum -

54 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Euro and NAM have been insisting on that ...

I'm looking around at area obs as I'm sure most have...and there's still an ongoing feeble NE drain.  Said models have the wind going calm, then kicking in light SW mid afternoon -

Meanwhile..hi res vis loops suggest that this air mass is maxed out. It really can not be any more perniciously embedded east of the Apps... Take the average elevation of the cordillera, and anywhere east of that axis is filled to the brim with this toxic sludge.  The only way out of this reservoir is one of three ways:  have the atmosphere, en masse, turn around and move out; have the sun heat it enough to start run-away evaporation; some combination of both.  The problem is, it's so thick and dense and maxed out...any combination of those processes is going to be a painfully slow process to pot watchers.

In the meantime, I agree, it doesn't lend to 70.  We'll see. I think this next hour ..as in now through noon is telling.. If some sky-lights unzip ...that will set the momentum -

Not exactly skylights, but there's enough light to cast shadows under the trees.  That's a step forward.

Meanwhile, it's pretty darn cool out there as i work to clean the pool.

Drizzle let up just in time for the annual march with the Cub Scouts in Greenfield Memorial Day parade.  

Always a highlight of the weekend for me and really touching to see some of the elderly and disabled vets make the effort to come out.  Also really good for the boys to hear some stories from people who served in the military in war time situations.

Archived