Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some really nice weather lately for exploring the mountain via all-terrain vehicle.  The tracks and chains are off the vehicles, plowing out the roads was the right decision in the higher elevations.

This snow takes forever to melt at elevation.  This whole section would still be snow covered heading into Memorial Day weekend if it wasn't plowed weeks ago.

xT4nr3D.jpg

another thursday that started out beautiful, then sea breeze kicked up in the PM, ended our thursday afternoon league round of golf with temp of 55 and winds blowing 15-20. at least its good sleeping weather with the windows open.

Not that anyone asked but ... meh, I'm okay with this BD...  I'm an adult, and part of that is understanding and more importantly.. acceptance to this region planet's limitations - and we don't sustain warmth prior to July here very often.   Oh, it happens, though rarely... 

Most years that I've lived in this part of the country, we pay a huge tax for the fact that our topography falls through the floor east of the Berks and Whites... and that mechanically means there's always a restorative vector pointed west in that surface to ~ 850 mb at all times... When other factors relax, that permanent, geologic forced factor is all that remains and the mass slosh back west anyway - in this case, we have a stream of accelerating mid tropospheric air punching SE over NS ... working together...  yeah.

I was musing in the other thread; that's sort of akin to an oar swiping through the water, setting off a gyre that rotates away from the axis of the swipe... It'll be warmer in CAR than BOS by a goodly amount on Sunday as the wind up there goes virtually calm while Logan forcibly chokes on a mash up between polar air and marine murk toxicology. 

Anywho... by the time that BD passes by we will have had four consecutive days of above normal temperatures... hot sun and laze faire breezes behind us... we can take it for a couple of days.  

On 5/24/2018 at 11:21 AM, dendrite said:

Will end up being some nice 5/25 extremes only 5 years apart. Accumulating snow here in 2013 and well into the 80s tomorrow. 

We open the cottage on Winnisquam on Memorial Day Weekend. We brought sleeping bags to stay warm. Wife and kids complained the entire weekend! It never snowed at the lake shore but our neighbor who was driving past the Sanbornton Town Hall after a Fisher Cats game said it was dumping snow and the trees were all bent down over the road. I hiked Mt. Hale over to Zealand Falls on Monday and there was still a good 10" of snow above 3500' 

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

That’s a good example of if it’s going to be crap (a noreaster with 40s and rain) it may as well drop a little record late snows. Otherwise, I’ll take this weather today all day, all night.

We got that 40s with wind and RA 5 years ago.  :thumbsdown: 

That was great. We flood. Not sure this time.

Sandy River recorded its 5th greatest flow on record (back thru 1926) on 6/15/1998, and its #1 no-snowmelt event by over 3,000 cfs.  Nearly 8" in about 36 hours will do that.  (June total was 13.96" in Farmington, about an inch less in my gauge.)

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Some really nice weather lately for exploring the mountain via all-terrain vehicle.  The tracks and chains are off the vehicles, plowing out the roads was the right decision in the higher elevations.

This snow takes forever to melt at elevation.  This whole section would still be snow covered heading into Memorial Day weekend if it wasn't plowed weeks ago.

xT4nr3D.jpg

A group of us did the Franconia ridge circa 1975ish  maybe 10-14 days earlier than now in May.  Up the falling waters trail with feet of snow still otg but compacted so we could hike (thanks to still being south of 30 with no sense of mortality).  One of the more spectacular long views in my experience.

5 years ago this afternoon it started to rain.  A very cold day, in the 40's.  By 6pm the rain became heavy as the temperature fell in the upper 30's.   I noticed cat paws on my windshield.  By 7pm it was raining hard with parachutes  mixing in.  Then a change over to very, very heavy snow with lots of lightning and thunder.  2 separate thunderstorms with heavy snow within 2 hours.  Temp fell to 32.5F but picked up 3.1" of snow by 10pm.  As it ended we lost power.  One of the best weather events ever!

I know I have talked about this before.  Attached is the same picture,  first one was mid day May 27 2013 after the storm and the other from yesterday.  

1100 feet.jpg

May 25 2018.jpg

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Hard to tell if that's the BD or just the sea breeze blasting in ... probably this pinches off from both directions... But Logan haulin ass from the ENE and just shaved 15 off the temp in like 10 min

I believe they are one and the same.

Archived