Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geomorphology was my major in college so I like following the Kilauea eruption.  So it's official.  The magma flow has now reached the ocean.  First light in Hawaii right now shows a large magma front that has flowed over Highway 137 and is now building new land on the Big Islands south side.  Pretty neat.

Steam clouds are rising thousands of feet in the air and will continue as long as the flow continues which could be a long time.  Fortunately, the trades blow SW so the toxic steam does not blow over much of the island.  That would be bad. 

Picture from a guy streaming live on Utube from a hilltop looking down to the ocean a few miles away.  Okay, back to weather...

Untitled.jpg

23 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Geomorphology was my major in college so I like following the Kilauea eruption.  So it's official.  The magma flow has now reached the ocean.  First light in Hawaii right now shows a large magma front that has flowed over Highway 137 and is now building new land on the Big Islands south side.  Pretty neat.

Steam clouds are rising thousands of feet in the air and will continue as long as the flow continues which could be a long time.  Fortunately, the trades blow SW so the toxic steam does not blow over much of the island.  That would be bad. 

Picture from a guy streaming live on Utube from a hilltop looking down to the ocean a few miles away.  Okay, back to weather...

Untitled.jpg

do those steam clouds ever form cumulus/showers down stream... or is that primarily a boundary layer phenomenon

I find the tropical forcing argument as plausibly coincidental more so than causal this go around...

The reason we've had this pattern locked in like this to date has been the huge, sprawling anomalously positive NAO that replaced the persistent -NAO from much of March into April. It is not abundantly clear that's sourced from the tropical pacific, A, but B, ...the circumvallate circulation around that huge Maritime trough is drilling peristent NW mean flow through mid and SE Canada... and C, that was set up before any present tropical forcing signals for early June, and... tropical forcing becomes less a forcing mechanism in summer, once the hemispheric wave-space break down and R-wave nebularity takes over. 

I find that whole argument flawed.  But we'll see... It could end up NAO reloads and we rinse and repeat, and I'm sure the cooler results will be blamed on the wrong thing as usual...

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

do those steam clouds ever form cumulus/showers down stream... or is that primarily a boundary layer phenomenon

Good question and I don't know.  Pretty rare event to have so much steam being produced along what could be a several mile front.  Reading the AFD they say the atmosphere is quite stable so lots of low level moisture and windward showers but no heavy rain.  So upward motion limited.  More concerning is the winds are forecast to be ENE today and a small craft advisory.  NE or NNE keeps those toxic plumbs more out to sea but an east component brings it more over landmass.  Guy is streaming live, very cool.  

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Good question and I don't know.  Pretty rare event to have so much steam being produced along what could be a several mile front.  Reading the AFD they say the atmosphere is quite stable so lots of low level moisture and windward showers but no heavy rain.  So upward motion limited.  More concerning is the winds are forecast to be ENE today and a small craft advisory.  NE or NNE keeps those toxic plumbs more out to sea but an east component brings it more over landmass.  Guy is streaming live, very cool.  

that is amazing stuff.
lol. As I am watching it I hear a rooster crowing in the background.

That's why I was asking ...yeah... If the steam/heat plumes get into an elevated unstable lapse rate than those 'toxins' get interesting...

There is a phenomenon known as "pyrocumulus"  ...you can google/youtube time lapse but CU sometimes build over the top of forest fires -

34 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's why I was asking ...yeah... If the steam/heat plumes get into an elevated unstable lapse rate than those 'toxins' get interesting...

There is a phenomenon known as "pyrocumulus"  ...you can google/youtube time lapse but CU sometimes build over the top of forest fires -

This just came in.  A boat has made its way to the edge of the magma flow and posted a video.  It's on FB lava news.  I'm sure the coast guard is going to close this area very soon.  This shot is looking SW down the coast.  It's hard to tell if the steam clouds are rising into Cu and enhancing showers.  Looks like it could be.  Very cool video and pictures.

2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like we’ll have a new Hawaiian island soon

DIT,  well not a new Island but the Big Island is creating new land by the hour.  No one owns it yet.  I say all the paying AMWX members pitch in and buy a few acres.  Give it a couple hundred years and it will be lush and green.

52 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Today was better than I thought it would be...some rain, but still did some outdoors stuff and am grilling now.

Had 10 mins of sun, plan was to weed whack the non lawn areas in the wooded lot, grass never dried out. Have to keep the grass low to keep the ticks down. Although the cedar cinnamon spray worked great so far, taking no chances. 

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Went up to the low 60s by mid AM.  It's now above 65F which is my threshold for dewin' the dew.  It's currently 66F.  Not overly oppressive though with a 75F temp.

High dews in the 70's feel good at least early in the year.  80's and dew? blow...

Archived