Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/17/2018 at 10:22 PM, wxmanmitch said:

Here as well, they just starting biting within the past couple of days. Someone on Twitter recommended Thermacell...I may pick one up and give it a try as deet doesn't seem to be that effective against them. 

Deet doesn't work on black flies, lemon/eucalyptus spray does. Also spray on pant legs to keep ticks away. 

^^ I use an essential oils cocktail of tea tree, cedarwood, lavender and eucalyptus for bug repellent. It seems to work for nearly everything :) Ticks truly hate it and flying insects will swarm around your head but rarely land and then not for more than a couple of seconds, rarely long enough to sting. I spray it pretty much everywhere, it does kind of suck when the sweat brings it into your eyes  but only for a moment :wacko:  8-10 drops of each mixed with about 6oz water in a small spray bottle and sprayed in a fine mist from head to toe paying close attention to lower legs and clothing openings especially the back of the neck.

50 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

^^ I use an essential oils cocktail of tea tree, cedarwood, lavender and eucalyptus for bug repellent. It seems to work for nearly everything :) Ticks truly hate it and flying insects will swarm around your head but rarely land and then not for more than a couple of seconds, rarely long enough to sting. I spray it pretty much everywhere, it does kind of suck when the sweat brings it into your eyes  but only for a moment :wacko:  8-10 drops of each mixed with about 6oz water in a small spray bottle and sprayed in a fine mist from head to toe paying close attention to lower legs and clothing openings especially the back of the neck.

I particularly like the fact that I can spray the mixture in my hair to help keep the swarms away from my head. No way in heck I would ever spray Deet in my hair. You can actually order the lemon/eucalyptus spray online, and maybe I remember seeing it at Wal-Mart. Used it when I did survey work for invasive forest pests. Spending 12 he days in the Woods, my coworkers used to have contests at the end of the day counting ticks they pulled off them. Using the lemon/eucalyptus spray all over my pants maybe once a week a would have 1 crawling on my pants at the end of the day, versus the 20+ my coworkers were dealing with

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

Anyone ever convert a window AC unit to a wood stove? If so, please send the plans along...

I know guys who have converted old file cabinets to arches for maple sugaring so I guess it would possible.  You'll need some ceramic blanket and bricks and fabricate a steel door but I guess it would be possible.  I through the window stove....

2 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I particularly like the fact that I can spray the mixture in my hair to help keep the swarms away from my head. No way in heck I would ever spray Deet in my hair. You can actually order the lemon/eucalyptus spray online, and maybe I remember seeing it at Wal-Mart. Used it when I did survey work for invasive forest pests. Spending 12 he days in the Woods, my coworkers used to have contests at the end of the day counting ticks they pulled off them. Using the lemon/eucalyptus spray all over my pants maybe once a week a would have 1 crawling on my pants at the end of the day, versus the 20+ my coworkers were dealing with

Made in Mass.

http://ticemoff.com

2 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Eisenhower once famously quipped .. "Beware the industrial military complex"  ...  A warning as to the morality, and perhaps eventually the loss of very freedoms when using the military to sow the seeds of economic growth.  Conquer nation with the military -> rebuilding spurs economic growth at home, ...move on, rinse and repeat.  

I've been musing to my self for some years, 'Beware the industrial food complex,' as apropos. 

Pretty much all the major health concerns of the industrialized societies of the planet are presently being linked to processed consumables; and by 'consumption,' this doesn't just mean foods though... It's the whole chemistry to medicines... for better living slogan of the mid 20th Century, and yes the foods we ate/eat as well, and everything and anything both topical and ingested in between. 

Evolution and biology provided things like Eucalyptus oils and so forth.. .yet, chemical industry and economic engines marketed a mere five decades of research as being somehow superior to ...oh, 100 million years of distilling evolutionary nature.

I don't want to throw the entire industrialized food and medical, house cleaning ... industries, under the proverbial bus, however, as they did provide almost a 100 years of sustained means to provide ubiquitous nourishment and sanitation, and baser health care sciences much more proficiently than the purely agrarian ... leeches and whimsy mean.  It's been a trade off... feed more, cloth more, treat more with medicine, they live a bit longer and population growth ensues... but, you get tumors and heart disease along with -

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Made in Mass.

http://ticemoff.com

"4 years" hardly seems sufficiently long enough to have been fully vetted.. However, the products ingredients, labeled clearly when first opening that URL, benefits from many years of known homeopathic approaches so 'perhaps' (as in ..with caution), it is safe. 

This sentence, however ... " Its non-alcoholic composition enhances skin integrity while increasing its duration of action. ..."  - wtf goes into enhancing skin integrity

Long stretch of great weather comes to an end.  Super weather this week, flirted with high clouds from time to time but much of the time sun.

Only .10" of rain so far this month.  Last substantial rain was April 25th.  GFS has me getting about .30" here in my sinkhole just south of the White Mountains.  Will we get more?  Hoping for at least half an inch.

Lots of outdoor May activities this weekend.  I feel bad for those people...

Meh... always good to get rain in May...  'cuz unless it is a rarer wet June, which ...yeah, sometimes can happen, we'll need it in July and August...

'Sides, we are still way above normal temps.  A cool day was probably inevitable sooner rather than later -

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Meh... always good to get rain in May...  'cuz unless it is a rarer wet June, which ...yeah, sometimes can happen, we'll need it in July and August...

'Sides, we are still way above normal temps.  A cool day was probably inevitable sooner rather than later -

Inferno month. Tomorrow and next week/end cement a top 5-10 er

29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Inferno month. Tomorrow and next week/end cement a top 5-10 er

I'm wondering how much cloud contamination lingers tomorrow in that warm sector...  I think the NAM could be a little pessimistic... but interestingly, it has the warmer machine guidance.  Euro looks toasty..  But I don't know if any scenario that is being charted at this time means "inferno" ...

Decent soaking here.   Luckily it was mostly light showers with only short lived heavier bursts because we were hosting nine  little boys and parents for a seven-year-old's birthday party.   Was at least able to get the boys outside for stretches.

The secret to a good kids birthday party is to entertain both the kids and adults.  

Archived