Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Here as well, they just starting biting within the past couple of days. Someone on Twitter recommended Thermacell...I may pick one up and give it a try as deet doesn't seem to be that effective against them. 

Different body chemistries can cause different efficacy.  Deet works fine for me (it's Ben's 100) for both blackflies and mosquitos.  I've found nothing that works on deerflies - maybe medieval armor?  They react to deet as if it's steak sauce.
So far the blackflies around my place have been present but not oppressive.  It's late in their season when they seem to land teeth-first; no crawling around, just get down to business.

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is what this May has been.

Walking the dog after work, light breeze, 64/43 after a high of 70F.  I feel like our available sunshine percentage has been real high.  So many nice evenings.

Covering the plants, once the sun goes down it'll plummet...but this weather could stick around till October.

IMG_9727.JPG.ab340d86d21b9358c2c77aaecd26dd9b.JPG

IMG_9729.JPG.7fbc8b37c5ae7690b03ba490759fe26d.JPG

Does look alleviatingly serene ...  This may seem entirely OT and well, it will be .. but, I remember after that moving Avatar film, reading about an odd spike for several months that year in suicides where specifically...many of the self-induced victims post-mortem statements actually gave sentiments to not finding the type of joy and happiness found among the fictional "Na've" of that "Pandora" world... 

Other than being a Darwin award ...when a work of cinema actually triggers such a revulsion to one's own reality they feel fatally driven to no alternative ... I remember thinking, then, how just look around - when we see a paradise melody being sung through the images of such natural splendor right f'n here on this g'damn planet and it's not enough? Like...it's gotta be on another world to be worth the same?  Hm..  interesting. 

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What a day again... full sunshine and light breeze.

16/M04 for 60/24 at 1pm.  We'll take temps in the 60s and dews in the 20s anytime.

Had a max temp of 61F, pre-dawn, and it has fallen through the day to 55-56F.  Feels more like a Fall day with the temps/breeze than a late Spring day. 

20 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Had a max temp of 61F, pre-dawn, and it has fallen through the day to 55-56F.  Feels more like a Fall day with the temps/breeze than a late Spring day. 

Interesting, still rising up here.  Mid-60s now and full sun off a low of 32F.

The number of "Top 10" days is up there this month for NNE.  

One thing I noticed today hiking... was that it still looks like late November for vegetation.

I think it was a month ago, we were talking about it looking like nuclear winter with no leaves or anything in some spots.  Still looks like that in the mountains.

Beautiful weather though, spring green growth has to hit the hills sometime.

5aTUpCM.jpg

I'm not sure what I missed this week other than some storms on Monday.  But I do know that the last day I was home was Saturday with rain and a high of 45*.  I'm 40 minutes  out of BDL at the moment and I guess I'm returning to a rainy Saturday with a high of 55*.  Alas.

Well, SAN and SFO were fantastic.

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Re MHT: OceanStWx needs to go out and re-calibrate that thermo. It's been running way to warm for awhile now. 

heh...2.3F warmer than CON on max temps for May. It does seem a little fishy. They have the UHI going on there so I don’t compare mins or means. I think MADIS played with their algorithm a bit at the start of winter (knocked me closer to 0F error...used to think I was too cool), but it doesn’t account for the CON/MHT disparity.

Archived