Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We’ve had plenty of warm sunny days this month. Even now the sun is poking out in SNE. The best part is we’ve had zero back doors with screens slamming shut with flags pinned SW. None. That’s a massive win 

Kevin you'd probably like the extended GFS this morning... 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's been "nicer" compared to normal the further north you go. There's a been a few days where I've come on here to post about a top 10 day and I see people in SNE complaining about raw rain. Usually it's me in the CAD drizzle of despair this time of year.

Yeah I'd agree.  It's been an incredible month after all the snow events and cold in April...and when I say snow events I mean April was annoying with 2-4 inchers (aside from the upslope microzone over the Spine), an ice storm, and -7F departures over 30 days.  Would've been better with a 12-18" storm then call it a season.  

This month flipped to high diurnal ranges, sunny days, and low humidity.  

Though we are above normal precip I think thanks to some storms, like that 1.30" in an hour or whatever it was during that TOR Watch.  But we've avoided the multi-day drizzle and -RN quite nicely.

I'd side with DIT up here at least this has been a really excellent May.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

CON is +6.2F MTD and has had 0.02" in the last 12 days. Torch.

Running +2.9 at my place.  May 1-7 were all AN, 7 of next 9 were BN, but none by 10°+ while 2,3,4 were all double digits above.  Scored 0.18" Tuesday, first measurable snce the late evening TS on the 4th.  Local river flow still below 25th percentile.

Hazy sun atm in Augusta, haven't check temp but probably 60s to near 70.
Edit: AUG right at 70 at 1 PM.

51 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This probably explains a lot of the regional perception.

30dPDeptNRCC.png

Nice that the period begins on a day I had 0.98" (cold RA and some ZR at the start.)  Otherwise my area would be two shades drier.

Was a bit surprised that CON hasn't dropped below 35 this month.  My frost pocket is somewhat "frostier" than there, but we've had 6 subfreezing minima in the past 9 days, 4 of which were in the 20s.  Must've had more clear and calm here.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Nice that the period begins on a day I had 0.98" (cold RA and some ZR at the start.)  Otherwise my area would be two shades drier.

Was a bit surprised that CON hasn't dropped below 35 this month.  My frost pocket is somewhat "frostier" than there, but we've had 6 subfreezing minima in the past 9 days, 4 of which were in the 20s.  Must've had more clear and calm here.

Usually CON is a few cooler than me on rad nights and I've had two 33s. I think they had some cloud issues IIRC.

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We've had 4 days of 32F or lower in that and 2 that were close at 33F.

9 of 16 days this month have had a max of 70F or higher, which is why my perception is of a nice month.  Over 50% of days in the NNE mountain valleys of 70+ highs is pretty solid for a nice month. 

It's almost like the minimum temps have been near normal or even a little below, but the maximum temps have been much warmer than normal due to the high diurnal ranges.  

Warm afternoons that skew temp departures high give the public the notion that it's been a nice warm month.  They can quickly forget the frost on their windshield in the morning when it's 74F and sunny when they get out of work.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We've had 4 days of 32F or lower in that and 2 that were close at 33F.

9 of 16 days this month have had a max of 70F or higher, which is why my perception is of a nice month.  Over 50% of days in the NNE mountain valleys of 70+ highs is pretty solid for a nice month. 

It's almost like the minimum temps have been near normal or even a little below, but the maximum temps have been much warmer than normal due to the high diurnal ranges.  

Warm afternoons that skew temp departures high give the public the notion that it's been a nice warm month.  They can quickly forget the frost on their windshield in the morning when it's 74F and sunny when they get out of work.

Only 6 of 16 with 70+.  Perhaps a better measure is that I've had only 2 with maxima below 60, coolest 56 on the 11th.  Average max thus far is running 5.0° AN while minima only 0.8°.  While I've had a few cloudy days, there's been nothing (yet) remotely close to a rainy day.  It's been a couple 2-3 hour rainy periods plus the one TS - not bad at all for NNE spring.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Some of those were from lows. I’m just differentiating between summer and the typical May stuff.

And it shows in the record books, BDL has had its 2nd highest ave lows this month to date, cloudy nights , been a crap fest since May 11th with bouts of afternoon sun. We define great Mayorch now with temps not actual conditions, south of CNE its has been a meh month

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Only 6 of 16 with 70+.  Perhaps a better measure is that I've had only 2 with maxima below 60, coolest 56 on the 11th.  Average max thus far is running 5.0° AN while minima only 0.8°.  While I've had a few cloudy days, there's been nothing (yet) remotely close to a rainy day.  It's been a couple 2-3 hour rainy periods plus the one TS - not bad at all for NNE spring.

I like that "max below 60F" barometer... we've only had 1 and it was on the 11th with a high of 53F.  

Funny how there's one day with a high of 53F and everything else hasn't even been close. That was NW flow with some chilly 850s but it lifted out quickly.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So is Saturday going to be a total washout, or similar to last sat where it was just enough to be annoying 

Sounds like either option would annoy you haha.  It looked a lot more rainy up here after 18z Saturday than last weekend but didn't pay as much attention south of here.

This is what this May has been.

Walking the dog after work, light breeze, 64/43 after a high of 70F.  I feel like our available sunshine percentage has been real high.  So many nice evenings.

Covering the plants, once the sun goes down it'll plummet...but this weather could stick around till October.

IMG_9727.JPG.ab340d86d21b9358c2c77aaecd26dd9b.JPG

IMG_9729.JPG.7fbc8b37c5ae7690b03ba490759fe26d.JPG

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...the black flies are such a joke right now. Instantly engulfed. The bites seem to hurt extra more this year.

Here as well, they just starting biting within the past couple of days. Someone on Twitter recommended Thermacell...I may pick one up and give it a try as deet doesn't seem to be that effective against them. 

not sure what the temps here have been WRT normal, but water temps were still in the 40's as of last weekend and we have had a lot of onshore winds and you can really feel the damp chill when that happens. yesterday was a good example, temps in mid 60's (64?) then wind backed off water late in the afternoon and dropped into the 50's quickly with a little cloud cover. 60's in the sun felt nice, damp 50's with wind off water and some clouds , not so much.

Archived