Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing better on a raw, gray day than going back through some of the old Sandy threads. God what an epic system that was and what a glorious eight or nine days of tracking. I think that still easily holds my personal record for staying up for consecutive a.m. Euro runs. I also find it interesting that there were some posters who had speculated about exactly such a system pinwheeling into NJ in August. Little did they know what was to come.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Nothing better on a raw, gray day than going back through some of the old Sandy threads. God what an epic system that was and what a glorious eight or nine days of tracking. I think that still easily holds my personal record for staying up for consecutive a.m. Euro runs. I also find it interesting that there were some posters who had speculated about exactly such a system pinwheeling into NJ in August. Little did they know what was to come.

;)

.... Mid October that year (roll eyes if one want to or not) but the global indicators started sowing -

Something similar happened for me back in 2004.  An on-camera Met was telling me about going to New Orleans for some media conference, and we got into a back and forth about the perils of building a city there. The French occupation ceded the land to the U.S. and warned, 'do not attempt that...'   We waxed philosophies and speculations on both the negligence in having done so, but imagining the physical impacts should a major hurricane set sights on that region of the Gulf.. 

The very next year ? ... boom. It was really pretty uncanny.

The last tiny patch of snow in a roadside ditch near my home finally melted this afternoon. This is a very shady north facing spot that gets hardly any sun due to dense stand of red spruce and balsam fir. The black flies weren't so bad today perhaps due to last night's frost and today's sunshine and low humidity. This made for a productive day of raking the yard in preparation for topsoil and grass seed. 

With the exception of the aspens, which have small leaves, I have not quite leafed out yet, however just down the hill from me it has. Funny how 200' of elevation can make a difference. North Adams on the other hand looks like a jungle compared to here.

IMG_0518.JPG

Top ten day for sure.

High of 71F off a low of 28F...the classic 43F diurnal range you get this time of year. 

Leaves are really starting to pop now.

Took a ski up and down Mansfield today... natural snowpack hanging on in the Spruce forest up high.  Snowmaking snow still skiable to the base on a couple routes, if you are creative.  So nice to still get on snow 5 days a week in mid-May ha.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

What a day. All of the flowering trees around town are blooming. The early leaves have that lime green look with the beautiful deep blue backdrop behind them. Max was 67.2F with a light breeze. Got a bit of a burn but oh well. A+

I get almost as much visual enjoyment from the spring greens as I do the fall foliage. 

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Top ten day for sure.

High of 71F off a low of 28F...the classic 43F diurnal range you get this time of year. 

Leaves are really starting to pop now.

69/26 here with nearly unbroken sunshine.  Yesterday was the 5th day with diurnal range 40+, and Saturday it was 39.  Thru the 13th, the month is averaging 69/38, AN by 3.7.  Top range for any month here is May 2001 with 29.9, and I hope we break that mark, because doing so would mean an absence of much (if any) 40s misery mist.  May has the highest average range with 24.5, though April is only 0.7 behind. 

Archived