Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Pretty windy here.   We usually don’t do wind well.  This is high end for my hood

Same here.  This is legit, MVL obs aren't it we don't get this in the valley often.  Heard some white lines snapping.  The river is out of control.  The power is out and it's very dark.  Noise deafening.  

Im impressed.

12 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Pretty cocky day here. First 18 of season incoming tomorrow.

Any CT golfers interested in an outing? MA and RI heads welcomed as well. Even if the great white North wants to join...no discrimination. We could do a CMA course.

Any interest and Ill start a thread.

could be depends on the deets keep me posted

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Must be disturbing to see molten rock burping out of a crack in the road to one's house.

Yeah... not being able to trust the ground when you know you're standing over a pit of magma has got to be terrifying.

That being said, I'm pretty pissed that I'm missing this. Some of the video is just amazing, but it appears they wouldn't let me get close enough to see it anyways.

5 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

NYS got smoked

Sh*t got real here last night too.

Between the severe thunderstorm, and the synoptic wind, that was a pretty high-end event here.  No idea on actual wind speeds but between this and the October windstorm, most of the White Pines around here have been thinned out, ha.

Power went out at 7:40pm when the downburst hit... came back on just before midnight.  Then synoptic wind knocked it out again about a half hour later.  The Stowe Electric twitter feed said they pulled crews shortly after midnight due to the high winds continuing.  Our power came back around 5am but have a number of friends still without power in parts of Stowe and Waterbury Center.

Mutual aid power crews coming from Mass to replace broken power poles.

Stowe Electric Dept. @StoweElectric 1h1 hour ago

Power has been restored to Cottage Club Rd up to Fox Hill, Sinclair Drive, Innsbruck Inn and Brook Rd. Crews are now working on Edson Hill Rd to remove trees, repair downed lines and replace broken poles. Additional help is coming from MA.

Got hit with some pretty good winds last night. I probably gusted to 50-55 MPH with the passage of the squall line just after 9 PM and then more strong wind gusts post FROPA. There were a couple small blowdowns. 

The biggest winds at my location definitely tend to occur out of the W and NW with squall lines and post FROPAs in a well mixed atmosphere. 

The last natural patch of snow in my property should be gone today with a little bit left from the plows elsewhere; that should be gone in the next few days. It was a very fast meltdown considering I had over 18" of depth in spots on Monday. 

11 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Yeah... not being able to trust the ground when you know you're standing over a pit of magma has got to be terrifying.

That being said, I'm pretty pissed that I'm missing this. Some of the video is just amazing, but it appears they wouldn't let me get close enough to see it anyways.

Theres a video going around from a man on the roof of his house at leilani estates. The lava crack is so close to his house pieces of lava are landing on his roof

RIP winter 2017-18. :( The last patches of rotting snow on my property should be gone within 24 hours, maybe sooner. It was an amazingly fast meltdown considering I had spots that were over 20" deep a week ago at this time. It was a good run, particularly post March 1st, but it's time to clean up and install the lawn.

Some of the plow piles left in the shady roadside ditches may be there for another few days though. In a few shorts months we'll be gearing up for snow again. :D How long until NFL training camp starts?

IMG_0512.JPG

I am wondering if we had a small tornado up here in Boscawen on Friday night.  I was driving home from Logan and about 1/2 hour before home I was talking to my partnter and he said the wind came up roaring, and the house shook.  A pile of construction boards that had stayed in place through heavy winds throughout the winter and spring.  As I got a mile from home there were many branches and limbs down, and a large tree had fallen across the road and been quickly removed.  On Saturday I could see across a field, a few hundred yards away, several large trees in a row, snapped, included a dead one just 250 ft away.  I guess it could've been a downburst.  Oh also, an old pole barn was flattened a few hundred yards away. 

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Beautiful morning out there.  Hopefully that on the heels of the fully day of rain yesterday will give more life to the lawn.

You had a full day of rain?  Rain didn't start until 4pm and most of the 1/4" that fell, fell between 10pm and 12AM today. 

3 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

I am wondering if we had a small tornado up here in Boscawen on Friday night.  I was driving home from Logan and about 1/2 hour before home I was talking to my partnter and he said the wind came up roaring, and the house shook.  A pile of construction boards that had stayed in place through heavy winds throughout the winter and spring.  As I got a mile from home there were many branches and limbs down, and a large tree had fallen across the road and been quickly removed.  On Saturday I could see across a field, a few hundred yards away, several large trees in a row, snapped, included a dead one just 250 ft away.  I guess it could've been a downburst.  Oh also, an old pole barn was flattened a few hundred yards away. 

Coworker in Barnstead had a tree go down too. It was hit or miss. Meh up here.

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Rain most of the morning and afternoon in my area.  A brief lull, then more rain in the evening/night

Forecasts called for rain up here but not a drop fell.  Funny how in winter it would've been infuriating watching the virga to the south.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Forecasts called for rain up here but not a drop fell.  Funny how in winter it would've been infuriating watching the virga to the south.

We got more here - maybe 3 drops.   
Snowpile near Riverview Hospital in Augusta is barely half its size a week back.  even with a full mantle of road sand and dirt, it may not make it past Memorial Day.  The larger city snow dump under the downstream K'bec bridge is probably good thru July 4, as there's a lot less airflow at that site.

Archived