Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

85.4 / 58     running bout 2.5 degrees ahead of yesterdays pace 

low this morning was 57.5 (330 am) 

I've noticed the past 2 mornings that my low temps have been 7-8 degrees colder than nearby PWS's that always seem to be within 1-2 degrees of mby going back many years. Prob just a function of being able to decouple, but usually it is not this noticeable. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They had an in-between 74F, but still that is insane. ORH stays well mixed too and cooled to 66F. MADIS is not happy with their readings.

Yeah I've got my eye on the FIT ASOS....might be going off kilter.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I've got my eye on the FIT ASOS....might be going off kilter.

Not sure...  

I was just mentioning to Brian that I was near by that post this morning at 7 am ish and the dash was pegged at 74 ... I looked at wunder ground meso temp map and a lot of sites around the vicinity and up and down rt 2 were 74 to 76 at 7:30 ...  

That said, I've noticed that site tends to always have the greatest DP depression ... If it's 60 everywhere and in average, they'll always pull a 53 or something as the stubborn outlier.  That air port is in a bit of a dale so perhaps there some d-slope things going on but not sure - 

Right now they are sitting at 90 ... but there are 88's and 89's everywhere around there so its hard to discount it. The ap also is immediately astride and down stream of a complex of malls and strip stores, with huge expanses of asphalt parking and so forth and the wind trajectory today is immediately downwind of those environments.  

It's probably more of a Logan-esque deal where it's just another thermometer put in a horrible location. 

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not sure...  

I was just mentioning to Brian that I was near by that post this morning at 7 am ish and the dash was pegged at 74 ... I looked at wunder ground meso temp map and a lot of sites around the vicinity and up and down rt 2 were 74 to 76 at 7:30 ...  

That said, I've noticed that site tends to always have the greatest DP depression ... If it's 60 everywhere and in average, they'll always pull a 53 or something as the stubborn outlier.  That air port is in a bit of a dale so perhaps there some d-slope things going on but not sure - 

Right now they are sitting at 90 ... but there are 88's and 89's everywhere around there so its hard to discount it. The ap also is immediately astride and down stream of a complex of malls and strip stores, with huge expanses of asphalt parking and so forth and the wind trajectory today is immediately downwind of those environments.  

It's probably more of a Logan-esque deal where it's just another thermometer put in a horrible location. 

It's possible it's right. But sometimes they go off kilter. We identified it at CON a year or two back. CON spit the bit by like 2-3F...any individual reading was "defensible" but the step change in behavior made for an obvious break point. I can't see FIT's 1 year history on the gladstone site for some reason, so I'm not sure if there's been a recent step change or not. Could just be a perfect storm of conditions as you said.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's possible it's right. But sometimes they go off kilter. We identified it at CON a year or two back. CON spit the bit by like 2-3F...any individual reading was "defensible" but the step change in behavior made for an obvious break point. I can't see FIT's 1 year history on the gladstone site for some reason, so I'm not sure if there's been a recent step change or not. Could just be a perfect storm of conditions as you said.

Yesterday they recorded a 92F... my car thermo (always suspect) was 92-94 from Leominster until the Princeton border.   Seems reasonable, but def bears watching.

As Tip mentioned, the geography might make a difference...its in sort of a bowl

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yesterday they recorded a 92F... my car thermo (always suspect) was 92-94 from Leominster until the Princeton border.   Seems reasonable, but def bears watching.

As Tip mentioned, the geography might make a difference...its in sort of a bowl

I'm at the airport pretty often.....the place is a SWEAT box, literally no shade for miles, especially now that the FAA cut all the trees around it 

After 5 days in SE Mass (grandkid time at AirBnB near the CC Canal) with either 50F RA- or 60s sun, seeing 90 on the car thermo as we circled BOS on 128 made us wonder if the sensor was going nuts again - 2 yr ago we'd see 100+ readings in midwinter.  Not bogus this time, though the home front topped out at 84, with 9% rh!  Currently RA- in Augusta, which will probably drive the early low 70s back into the 60s.  After ending a 5.5-month run of minima 32 or lower, we haven't been below 37 since.  This morning's low 60s are nearly 30° AN, though I expect 50s by 9 this evening.

Another non-endorsement for MapQuest  :axe:   
We'd never been near the Cape before, so believed their "best" route, right thru BOS via US 1 and I-93.  The RA- didn't help, but just too many cars, even at 2-3 PM.  Took 2 hr to go less than 10 miles, 45 minutes (less than 2 miles?) in the tunnel breathing Diesel fumes.   Then, once we'd cleared major traffic soon after reaching Rt 3, we hit RA+ all the way to our destination.  Cocorahs revealed the epicenter of the deluge to be Plymouth/Barnstable Counties and we had the "perfect" timing.  Going home we took the 128 dodge, and except for one minor slowdown due to a lane change, never slowed under 60 because of roads/traffic the rest of the trip. 

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

After 5 days in SE Mass (grandkid time at AirBnB near the CC Canal) with either 50F RA- or 60s sun, seeing 90 on the car thermo as we circled BOS on 128 made us wonder if the sensor was going nuts again - 2 yr ago we'd see 100+ readings in midwinter.  Not bogus this time, though the home front topped out at 84, with 9% rh!  Currently RA- in Augusta, which will probably drive the early low 70s back into the 60s.  After ending a 5.5-month run of minima 32 or lower, we haven't been below 37 since.  This morning's low 60s are nearly 30° AN, though I expect 50s by 9 this evening.

Another non-endorsement for MapQuest  :axe:   
We'd never been near the Cape before, so believed their "best" route, right thru BOS via US 1 and I-93.  The RA- didn't help, but just too many cars, even at 2-3 PM.  Took 2 hr to go less than 10 miles, 45 minutes (less than 2 miles?) in the tunnel breathing Diesel fumes.   Then, once we'd cleared major traffic soon after reaching Rt 3, we hit RA+ all the way to our destination.  Cocorahs revealed the epicenter of the deluge to be Plymouth/Barnstable Counties and we had the "perfect" timing.  Going home we took the 128 dodge, and except for one minor slowdown due to a lane change, never slowed under 60 because of roads/traffic the rest of the trip. 

I drive through the city all the time. That’s defintely the tough way to go. Hope you gave a friendly wave passing exit 17-16 on rt 3. 

30 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Probably worse away from the water but still not sticky. Hows the search going? 

Yeah.. mostly a dry heat with a touch of humidity.

its going okay. Had a few interviews 3-4 weeks ago and one I haven’t heard Back from and the other I wasn’t chosen. Still grinding it out. 

Have a landscaping gig through a buddy which is allowing me some sort of income while I search.

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I drive through the city all the time. That’s defintely the tough way to go. Hope you gave a friendly wave passing exit 17-16 on rt 3. 

I think I sneezed as we passed by the Weymouth exit.  :P
(Heading north - couldn't see much through the RA and road spray headed south.)

Archived