joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was snow melt day.  Every little waterway is swollen at a level like it just rained inches.

No rain at all and the river out back (normally ankle deep) is at a level you could take a canoe down it.  If the mountain got a heavy rain thunderstorm of a quick 1-2" this would get out of hand quickly.

IMG_9548.JPG.ae0946c694c70f8351b188ad47982b72.JPG

Awesome day.  Went for an after work ski and could still do top-to-bottom on natural snow, and skied some mid-elevation hardwood glades.

Very hot hiking though the weirdest thing is the drastic temperature changes depending on the wind.  With such a hot ambient boundary layer, you also have snowpack from 1500ft and up.  The wind would transport that still-cold refrigerated air out of the gullies, drainages, and deeper snowpack areas...so while hiking it would feel very warm in the 70s, but then all the sudden you get hit with what felt like 40s when the wind transported the refrigerated air out of the woods.  

Highs today:

88F BTV (record high)

85F MVL (village elevation)

80F 1,500ft at the office

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Ha. Waking up to 66° is a little strange this early.

i had the same thought, especially considering that last nights low was >15 degrees warmer than the high temp on Monday

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

meh....fake heat yesterday

What does that mean?  'fake heat' ...  It was 90 to 92 for highs at all official reporting stations out side the mountains...  What IS heat then - 

:)   .. 

By the way folks, FIT bounced to 82 already - it seems to be an outlier though with 75's being more ubiquitous.  (Edit, actually ...lot of meso-site 78's so perhaps)

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome day.  Went for an after work ski and could still do top-to-bottom on natural snow, and skied some mid-elevation hardwood glades.

Very hot hiking though the weirdest thing is the drastic temperature changes depending on the wind.  With such a hot ambient boundary layer, you also have snowpack from 1500ft and up.  The wind would transport that still-cold refrigerated air out of the gullies, drainages, and deeper snowpack areas...so while hiking it would feel very warm in the 70s, but then all the sudden you get hit with what felt like 40s when the wind transported the refrigerated air out of the woods.  

Highs today:

88F BTV (record high)

85F MVL (village elevation)

80F 1,500ft at the office

You know.. back in the summer of 2002 (2003 maybe..) we had a hot period in August...  Then, toward the end of the heat wave, the air dried prior to the heat escaping ...which is typical in how those break - kind of like a NE version of a dry line. 

Anyway, I remember driving home from Waltham at night .. up 95 in eastern MA after an evening of pub hopping. It was 94  to 96 F type heat earlier that day ...but at 10:30 at night I recall distinct cold pockets of air that seemed incongruent ... I'm pretty sure it was just the beginning of radiative cooling season sniffing out...  It was 82 or so at that hour, with evacuated DP and dry air in place, and then driving through pockets where it fell like 65. 

The point being, I think you can get that micro-Met scaled stuff not just from snow cover.  interesting... But we know this is true anyway - I mean, one town in a dale is 19 F and the other 38F in radiational cooling in early November sometimes.  

51 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What does that mean?  'fake heat' ...  It was 90 to 92 for highs at all official reporting stations out side the mountains...  What IS heat then - 

:)   .. 

It was hot no doubt.  I'm just calling it 'fake heat' as the opposite of 'fake cold'.  If cold temperature readings can be 'fake' so can hot temperatures. 

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

It was hot no doubt.  I'm just calling it 'fake heat' as the opposite of 'fake cold'.  If cold temperature readings can be 'fake' so can hot temperatures. 

nya I get you... 

It's like in early April... 44 F and calm wind and you step outside on the south side of ur house and you think it must be 70 - 

Only int his case, the aridity of the air didn't lend much to appeal of 90... I think the HI's may have been like 86 or 87 when it was 91 at maxes...  

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Wow ... if  "ten after 10:" has any indiction ... we could be in the low to mid 90's this afternoon... I gotta wonder if we cap early - 

I found it interesting that they (KFIT) never got below 75F overnight.  Considering how dry most of yesterday was, they really got the dews going later on.

90 seems like a lock depending on when the clouds move in 

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I found it interesting that they (KFIT) never got below 75F overnight.  Considering how dry most of yesterday was, they really got the dews going later on.

90 seems like a lock depending on when the clouds move in 

They had an in-between 74F, but still that is insane. ORH stays well mixed too and cooled to 66F. MADIS is not happy with their readings.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They had an in-between 74F, but still that is insane. ORH stays well mixed too and cooled to 66F. MADIS is not happy with their readings.

I'm thinking that was legit too ... My trek to the office takes me down 2 west to the 191 exchange, which is pretty close to the air port ob there, and that whole area was 74 to 75 when I was cutting through there at 7 am on the dash thermometer

Archived