GREENVILLE 0.7 NNW CoCoRaHS 77.1
NORTH SMITHFIELD 0.6 S CoCoRaHS 71.7

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

top snowfall reports each New England state 

VT

LANDGROVE 1.1 NNE CoCoRaHS 182.9
MORGAN 6.7 SE CoCoRaHS 170.8
WILMINGTON 0.6 WNW CoCoRaHS 169.5

I've got Landgrove at 190.9" (another 8") but man what a winter relative to normal for S.VT. 

That's a big year for Landgrove and Wilmington.  J.Spin came in 4th at Waterbury 3.0nw but its usually between Westfield, J.Spin, Morgan and Greensboro for VT CoCoRAHS.  Congrats to S.VT for taking 2 of the top 3 spots.

15 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Maine

NEW SWEDEN 4.9 NNW CoCoRaHS 145.1
VAN BUREN 2 COOP 140.9
Caribou Area ThreadEx 137.2

CT

NORFOLK 2 SW COOP 107.5
WARREN 2.4 WNW CoCoRaHS 92.2
STAFFORDVILLE COOP 90.4

VT

NH

MOUNT WASHINGTON WBAN 325.7
HERMIT LAKE SNOWPLOT COOP 202.8
PINKHAM NOTCH COOP 187.3

Mass

ROWE 3NE COOP 131.2
EAST HAWLEY COOP 122.7
BECKET 5.6 SSW CoCoRaHS 112.1

RI

NORTH FOSTER 1 E COOP 83.1

Those top two MA stations are 30mi W of me, as the crow flies, and got about 50 more inches of snow than I did. MPM is even closer to them  with good elevation and they still beat him by 30"+

Not that I would want to live in any of those locations since they are in the middle of nowhere.  I kind of like having Internet and being less than 30 minutes to a store.

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Those top two MA stations are 25mi W of me and got about 50 more inches of snow than I did. MPM is even closer to them  with good elevation and they still beat him by 30"+

Not that I would want to live in any of those locations since they are in the middle of nowhere.  I kind of like having Internet and being less than 30 minutes to a store.

Hawley is right by Berkshire East, thought they had internet?

18 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Maine

NEW SWEDEN 4.9 NNW CoCoRaHS 145.1
VAN BUREN 2 COOP 140.9
Caribou Area ThreadEx 137.2

CT

NORFOLK 2 SW COOP 107.5
WARREN 2.4 WNW CoCoRaHS 92.2
STAFFORDVILLE COOP 90.4

VT

NH

MOUNT WASHINGTON WBAN 325.7
HERMIT LAKE SNOWPLOT COOP 202.8
PINKHAM NOTCH COOP 187.3

Mass

ROWE 3NE COOP 131.2
EAST HAWLEY COOP 122.7
BECKET 5.6 SSW CoCoRaHS 112.1

RI

NORTH FOSTER 1 E COOP 83.1

Has Mt. Washington ever not been number 1?
Did not know CT had a 100+ season.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I had service at the summit, actually took an emergency call from work up top

Yeah I did get like 1 bar on the summit and on the far side of the mountain...but overall, that place is out in the boondocks. Once about 10 miles west of Greenfield, it was pretty isolated. I do love the old school early 20th century look to Charlemont though.

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I've got Landgrove at 190.9" (another 8") but man what a winter relative to normal for S.VT. 

That's a big year for Landgrove and Wilmington.  J.Spin came in 4th at Waterbury 3.0nw but its usually between Westfield, J.Spin, Morgan and Greensboro for VT CoCoRAHS.  Congrats to S.VT for taking 2 of the top 3 spots.

I think a conspicuous absence we should note from the top of the Vermont list is Underhill 4.4 NNE, which I believe has surpassed 200” of snowfall in multiple seasons and might have the highest snowfall average of any CoCoRaHS station in the state.  It’s down there in the 10th spot with only 143.1” of snow (see table below).  They’ve had 205 daily reports since October 1st, so missing data doesn’t appear to be an issue.  I’d almost think there was a change in collection interval or something, but Bolton Valley only recorded 225” of snow this season and Stowe Mountain Resort only recorded 264”.  Those are both areas with 300”+ annual snowfall averages from what I’ve seen, so those are both quite low.  Sugarbush has only recorded 180” of snowfall this season, which is also incredibly low.  Farther north, Smugg’s recorded 300” of snow, and Jay Peak has recorded 378”, which both seem closer to average, so I’m not quite sure how that all came about.

Snowfall was roughly average here at our site with 167.2” according to my records, but something was definitely lacking along the western slopes and higher elevations of the spine in this area.  I’m still sort of surprised that we pulled out an OK snowfall season at our site based on what went on around us, so something must have helped us relative to those Underhill, Bolton, and Stowe numbers.  We certainly had some upslope snows this season, although it seemed to be a bit below average, or else I’d expect Bolton Valley and Underhill to have done better.  Clearly there were numerous storms that were focused down south based on the SVT numbers and the well above average numbers in parts of SNE, but I figured you’d have some ideas on why some of the local snowfall numbers in our area were so low.

24APR18A.jpg

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Breaking news, Alex has dethroned JSPIN the all time snow total leader since wkevin.com started the New England snow totals, Congrats @alex

Haha that's kinda funny. Thanks, I guess? :)

It seems that our location track surprisingly close to each other most days. The key difference is that while we usually both get in it, JSpin does better in upslope, and mine does better in Noreasters. I would wager that based on the dominant pattern on a given year, we'd see one do better than the other, while still tracking close to each other. 

NOUS41 KBOX 201310
PNSBOX
CTZ002>004-MAZ007-014>024-RIZ001>008-210115-

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Boston/Norton MA
910 AM EDT Fri Apr 20 2018

...FROST/FREEZE HEADLINES DELAYED UNTIL APRIL 25TH...

The median date for the last spring freeze across coastal and
southeast Massachusetts, Rhode Island and northern Connecticut is
April 21st. This is typically when our office would begin to issue
Frost Advisories and Freeze Warnings for these areas.

Based upon the abnormal cold in April, as well as coordination 
with our partners, we have decided to delay the issuance of Frost
Advisories and Freeze Warnings until April 25th. 

We currently expect overnight temperatures to threaten sensitive
outdoor vegetation with a frost, or even a freeze, through at
least this weekend. 

2 hours ago, alex said:

Haha that's kinda funny. Thanks, I guess? :)

It seems that our location track surprisingly close to each other most days. The key difference is that while we usually both get in it, JSpin does better in upslope, and mine does better in Noreasters. I would wager that based on the dominant pattern on a given year, we'd see one do better than the other, while still tracking close to each other. 

The crazy part is you are 1,000ft higher too.  I think it stands out to me the marginal events.  JSpin gets 1.7" and you get 3.7" due to marginal temperatures.  

See I was going to say you do better in early/late season and marginal events.  JSpin does really well in SE/E flow events which happens in nor'easters a lot, but I'm just used to him as the local jackpot no matter what the system.

Alex do you do liquid as well?  I think it would be interesting to see any precip differences.  

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The crazy part is you are 1,000ft higher too.  I think it stands out to me the marginal events.  JSpin gets 1.7" and you get 3.7" due to marginal temperatures.  

See I was going to say you do better in early/late season and marginal events.  JSpin does really well in SE/E flow events which happens in nor'easters a lot, but I'm just used to him as the local jackpot no matter what the system.

Alex do you do liquid as well?  I think it would be interesting to see any precip differences.  

Good point PF, I guess we’ll have to start using that elevation handicap/correction factor.  It runs right around 20% per 500 feet, so corrected to 1,500’ that puts the total here at 234.1”, which is definitely a decent season.

I seem to recall Kevin talking about adding another element to his page – was it liquid?

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

No liquid... At least not in the winter. In the summer it's easy, the weather station does it. :)

Archived