Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I wouldn't trust that as far as I can throw it. The high temp looks about correct.

Regardless, it's been much colder here than average. Normally the last sub-freezing day is March 30. We have had accumulating snowfall in April and Friday/Saturday nights were both down to 27F.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

What a day out there! 

Now this is the spring weather we've been missing.  Yesterday was 50/25 and today 52/21 so far.  Dews as low as 16F this afternoon here.

Only some widely scattered snowpack left in the woods at this valley elevation. 

31179318_10103396975635460_3602470932678

Money shot.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What a day out there! 

Now this is the spring weather we've been missing.  Yesterday was 50/25 and today 52/21 so far.  Dews as low as 16F this afternoon here.

Dock me some street cred for sayin' this if one must ... but, I think that scene would be euphoric looking in about two months, with that sage undergrowth and stunted flora emerald green in bloom while the stream echoes the hue of the skies over head.  The only sound is that vague shatter of water over pebbles.. I even could pretend those shallows were warmed by the sun to tolerable for a wader.   ..Heh, if it's still flowing - one wonders if that's a dry bed by the end of most Junes.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Dock me some street cred for sayin' this if one must ... but, I think that scene would euphoric looking in about two months, with that sage undergrowth and stunted flora emerald green in bloom while the stream echoes the hue of the skies over head.  The only sound is that vague shatter of water over pebbles.. I even could pretend those shallows were warmed by the sun to tolerable for a wader.   ..Heh, if it's still flowing - one wonders if that's a dry bed by the end of most Junes.

Heh, I'm sure I've got a photo of that green.  It's on my 3-mile loop from home that the dog and I enjoy almost daily.  

That waterway is about that depth most of the summer, it does have areas to swim and right near my place a big flash flood last year dug out a 6-foot deep pool about the size of a two-car garage.  

That is what is draining all of Mount Mansfield's east side and has a big watershed in the mountains east of the Spine crest.  It's really fast acting, like it could rise 3-4 feet up to the sage brush in an hour or two as then go back to low flow a few hours later.  It's always ice cold from the springs in the mountains that feed it.  

The real cool thing to see is in the summer, 6 miles away from the mountain here there could be sunshine and not a drop of water, but a slow moving air mass thunderstorm that forms over the mountain drops 2" of torrential rain on Mansfield... all the sudden the river goes from looking like that to a brown muddy torrent.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Heh, I'm sure I've got a photo of that green.  It's on my 3-mile loop from home that the dog and I enjoy almost daily.  

That waterway is about that depth most of the summer, it does have areas to swim and right near my place a big flash flood last year dug out a 6-foot deep pool about the size of a two-car garage.  

That is what is draining all of Mount Mansfield's east side and has a big watershed in the mountains east of the Spine crest.  It's really fast acting, like it could rise 3-4 feet up to the sage brush in an hour or two as then go back to low flow a few hours later.  It's always ice cold from the springs in the mountains that feed it.  

The real cool thing to see is in the summer, 6 miles away from the mountain here there could be sunshine and not a drop of water, but a slow moving air mass thunderstorm that forms over the mountain drops 2" of torrential rain on Mansfield... all the sudden the river goes from looking like that to a brown muddy torrent.

That's f'n cool... that remains me of those slot-canyon stories of hapless campers and hikers in the west... There's a rumbling sound, then the dusty bed under foot is them bobbing for life in a 30 mph, 10 foot deep roil of lahar-like flood waters ... all while blue sky over head. 

If only they payed mind to that suspicious sound of low DB thunder as it rose and fell from that CB and it's tropopausal rollin' 'vil performing a mama gram from 40 thousand feet before they left base camp...  Seriously, that's how people turn up missing sometimes.  They get it the SW too... there'll be signs on seldom traveled roads, beware of distant thunder and you look left and right trying to figure out what that means, and there's a skeleton of a car or two crumbled into the rocks off the shoulder of the road.

12 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

The Green River in Mass is really green as well--right above Hippy's place is a magical world.

This is in Williamstown, MA. Williamstown, VT is up in the north-central part of the state by I-89 exit 5 and is over 2 hours from here. I didn't realize there was another Green River over your way...I'll have to check it out as green is my favorite color...haha.  

Our Green River originates the the Mt. Greylock range and flows north to the Hoosac River, which flows west to the Hudson. 

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What a day out there! 

Love your photos thanks 

I'm sure some of you saw my facebook post but if you're not a boat person and want to see whales, head to Marshfield.  There are 450 North Atlantic Right whales left and there's about 200 right off the beach in Brant Rock. The whales extend from Scituate to Duxbury. 

52 minutes ago, amarshall said:

I'm sure some of you saw my facebook post but if you're not a boat person and want to see whales, head to Marshfield.  There are 450 North Atlantic Right whales left and there's about 200 right off the beach in Brant Rock. The whales extend from Scituate to Duxbury. 

Neat.

14 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

This is in Williamstown, MA. Williamstown, VT is up in the north-central part of the state by I-89 exit 5 and is over 2 hours from here. I didn't realize there was another Green River over your way...I'll have to check it out as green is my favorite color...haha.  

Our Green River originates the the Mt. Greylock range and flows north to the Hoosac River, which flows west to the Hudson. 

I did not realize there were two green rivers either.   The one near my house takes on a beautiful green color it due to the clay.

It is also one of the cleanest rivers in Massachusetts.

40 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I did not realize there were two green rivers either.   The one near my house takes on a beautiful green color it due to the clay.

It is also one of the cleanest rivers in Massachusetts.

I think its the same river isn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_River_(Deerfield_River_tributary)

47 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

67 ... at the highest sun angle yet and very little wind is probably a top 20 day...  Can't break the top 10 club unless it kisses 70 - if it can do that, otherwise it only gets the vip launge 

I don't feel that this year had typical crappy Napril weather as we are used to.  At least there were threats of snow right through last week that helped push the misery along and made the month go by faster.  Hopefully we will ride right into May with decent 60's and touches of 70's right into June.  

Archived