Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Stayed above freezing here. Should be it for season. 

Doubt it...

Although wait - hmm...  you just said "should be it.." ?   Seems like it should have been in it awhile ago, but relative to this year, I wouldn't feel comfortable making that call.  But that's just me ...

Pretty impressive recovery going on this morning up here in the good ole cold well of Ayer ... was 32 at the nadir, and by 8:30 it had soared to 44...  12 F in two hours isn't bad.. Now it is 49 ... so, 20 F in three hours appears likely. That's likely to cap soon thereafter and then we'll spend the rest of the day eroding the ceiling by diurnal thickness processes for those bonus couple points that MOS technology never seems to account for at this time of year .. 

I figure the next four days are all behaving similarly, with temperature preventing green up at night achieving towering differentials during the day to faux seasonal change :axe:

55 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Doubt it...

Although wait - hmm...  you just said "should be it.." ?   Seems like it should have been in it awhile ago, but relative to this year, I wouldn't feel comfortable making that call.  But that's just me ...

I don’t radiate locally so I think I’ll be fine. Of course some absurd airmass may come and change that. It gets tough real quick heading to May 1 to drop below 32 in my hood. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice day today. Finally. Sad that mid to upper 50s has us thinking that lol.

Yeah we were just musing that texting ... it's 59, light to no wind, azure blue skies and it's like a beach weather we've been so abused...

Scarcity certainly breeds appreciation - 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

This is actually perfect wx for yard cleanup. Mid 50s and hard to find a cloud. 

Just came in from 3 hours of burning out back...most of it having fallen from the paste bomb on 3/7-8. I noticed I was nearly sweating and was glad it wasn't warmer. The upper 50s suited it just fine. 

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just came in from 3 hours of burning out back...most of it having fallen from the paste bomb on 3/7-8. I noticed I was nearly sweating and was glad it wasn't warmer. The upper 50s suited it just fine. 

The last couple of weeks have smelt like a wildfire from people burning. So much crap to get rid of. 

61.2 for the high here.  Forsythia in full bloom, pulled out the weed whacker for the first time right along the sunny side of the house around the foundation where some long crab grass sprung up.  Plenty of red pollen around as well.  Opening Day baseball for Little League in town as well and finally felt like a true spring day.  

Red maples are usually one of the first tree to flower. At work today, I actually had to take a layer off for the first time this season. Also noticed the oak buds are swelling. The grass is finally greening up and growing. My rose bushes, Joe pye weed, and potentilla all have leaves now.

The Green River in Williamstown is living up to its namesake today. I love the color of the water, especially in the deeper pools. The bedrock around there (and in many western New England valleys) is rich in limestone and apparently the calcium carbonate rich water preferentially scatters blue and green light giving the river its color. Someone correct me if I have my science wrong.

IMG_0448.JPG

7 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

The Green River in Williamstown is living up to its namesake today. I love the color of the water, especially in the deeper pools. The bedrock around there (and in many western New England valleys) is rich in limestone and apparently the calcium carbonate rich water preferentially scatters blue and green light giving the river its color. Someone correct me if I have my science wrong.

IMG_0448.JPG

The Green River in Mass is really green as well--right above Hippy's place is a magical world.

10 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

61.2 for the high here.  Forsythia in full bloom, pulled out the weed whacker for the first time right along the sunny side of the house around the foundation where some long crab grass sprung up.  Plenty of red pollen around as well.  Opening Day baseball for Little League in town as well and finally felt like a true spring day.  

I was noticing that the other day.  Still no flowering here, but I do see one blooming every once and a while.  They are running fairly late because my 16 year average date of blooming is 4/17 and we usually run a week behind the valley.

24 minutes ago, dendrite said:

BDL’s normal low is 41F for today and they only hit 34F for a -7F departure.

25° here with a normal of 36°.  I love this dry air mass!

Archived