Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wild day today.  Ferried out to Inishmore Island off coast of Galway.  Winds were sustained on the water of 30-40kts.  Waves were 2-3m+.  Once on the Island we went to Dun Aengus Fort on a south side.  Fort sits on a bluff with a shear 100m drop to the ocean below.  Winds in the fort were enough to knock us around so I’m guessing they were 70-80kts.  No landscape cover whatsoever to be had.  More moonscape.

F87B5F5D-1CC5-4E25-9853-38C1C0FF17E0.thumb.jpeg.c7cf27303082e60345ac1eef0833621f.jpeg

Still solid snow (err sleet) coverage here this evening.  Can't find a grass blade.  Looks like it could after a SWFE cutter in January, ha. 

So weird for it to be this light, this late and have the entire landscape white.

Interesting April so far.  MVL is -7.2F and MPV is -8.0 for the monthly departures.

Some of yesterday afternoon's 0.5" survived the +/-1" RA that followed, mainly because the warmth never really made it to ground level - about 35 was the mildest thru this morning (after 2 consecutive days with temps 31/24 - latest here for 2 in a row sub-32.)

Not sure if it was this thread or Napril Fools that had the mild disagreement on how severely the wx would affect runners in the BOS Marathon.  However, the results tell the story.  The winning time for the men was the slowest since 1976.  The women did better - slowest time since 1978.  :lol:
The Kenyans, who probably never see wind-driven mid-30s downpours in their homeland, had perhaps their worst showing since they began entering the event.

17 hours ago, dendrite said:

I had a high of 29.6° on Sunday. :axe:

Had some brighter moments in the 8-9 dry hours thru the middle of that day - enough to see the sun's disk thru the clouds.  Spoiled what otherwise would've been a 28-29 max.  If it's going to be miserable, it might as well be memorably miserable.  ;)

I thought this was interesting ... if perhaps a kind of study into how weather effects not just the moods of the individual, but the integration of those moods into the body of the whole, this is at least one example of how it shapes the modalities of the society...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771121-mlb-must-consider-shortened-season-as-it-loses-attendance-weather-war?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

If we hadn't had that west based -NAO and the entire circulation paradigm shift of the N-Hemisphere that came with it - and stayed even after the NAO was long written into the history books - then we probably wouldn't have articles written in the tenor/purpose above, nor would we be having this discussion...  Because those obnoxiously early season warm blast days of February would probably have just gone on toward a very different March and first half of this April - just a supposition on my part ...   But, it's interesting that we're getting 52 F game times on the west coast too, as we dodge cat-paw first pitches back east... Like unilaterally we are sucking cold weather lemons this year and trying to call it lemon aid... forcing the collective fanship of the game to ponder the futility of loading up stadiums made of iron of mortar with 25 mph winds gusting chill factors into the teens, fans locked in a climate mire -... 

Next year, April will be like June - watch. 

I've long thought that MLB (go figure!) is primarily motivated by greed, and that having 162 games is just ownership tapping into demand. Yes, that's right, remove the demand, remove the industry, and we aren't having this discussion for that reason alone.  This year is definitely trying the patience of fan-nations, and exposing that truism. And besides... something seems almost embarrassingly awkward watching a time-out at the pitcher's mound, with plumes of steam betraying the conversation between coach, catcher and hurler from behind their mitts.  Like, ...what in the hell are you guys doing!?  Meanwhile, panning the camera over the bleachers and there are large gaps in seating next to tented bivouacs designed to keep die-hards nominally warm enough to endure ... It's a bit like jamming a round peg into a square hole, and a bit tacky looking.   

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

Yes, I am a Liverpool fan.  The offside call was a tough one for City to overcome.  We will need luck against Roma, I hope they can get off to the same start at Anfield that they did against City.  As far as the Boston Derby, that was one of the first things I thought of after Roma made it through.

:thumbsup:

They still make me nervous basically any time they have to defend, but boy what an enjoyable team to watch go forward. And Mo Salah has to be one of the most likable players in the Premier League.

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

:thumbsup:

They still make me nervous basically any time they have to defend, but boy what an enjoyable team to watch go forward. And Mo Salah has to be one of the most likable players in the Premier League.

I still get nervous too but Van Dyke has solidified the defense so much and Lovren has really stepped up too.  Roma will be a tough opponent but I think they can do it.  Its ironic that Coutinho went to Barcelona for these types of opportunities and they're out now.  

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

I still get nervous too but Van Dyke has solidified the defense so much and Lovren has really stepped up too.  Roma will be a tough opponent but I think they can do it.  Its ironic that Coutinho went to Barcelona for these types of opportunities and they're out now.  

Liverpool's defense has definitely improved with Virgil, but you still always expect to see them screw up somehow.  I actually like Man City's defenders, but they also seem to manage to screw up big time in stretches.  Stones looked tremendous until he got hurt back in November, then looked like crap when he returned.  City still have the fewest goals allowed, but I guess that is what 75% possession will do for you.  Looking forward to watching City vs Swansea on Sunday; I don't think Guardiola will allow them to let up even thought they've wrapped up the League.  Could score a lot of goals now that the pressure is off.  I do think Liverpool will be a serious contender next year unless Salah is lured away.

Archived