Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

March 2012 was amazing   Town baseball fields dry and snow free enough that they were practicing on March 22 or something.  Most years they are in gymnasiums doing fielding and hitting until early April.

Even with a warming climate we shouldn't expect another March 2012 heat wave any time soon.  The 3 warmest March days in Farmington co-op's 125 years of records are 20-22 that month - 80/82/83.  (Previous high was 79 on 3/20/1903.)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Just bad luck right there. However, it does bring me comfort that it's been chilly in the south too with bursts of frozen precipitation in few NC towns. It's not like I'm missing out on too much warmth in this pattern. 

I remember wearing jacket few July days and nights when I first move to here because we're flirting with upper 40s at night and struggling to leave 50s during the day. At the time, though, I remember thinking how much better it was than dealing with consistent 90s with DP in upper 70s so... haha. 

All of this waiting for summer to come back will pay back because our summer days up here are unbelievably beautiful and incredible comparing to the sauna that is the southern United States.

and also keep in mind ... we do upon occasion roast here.  Just obviously not as persistently as the static nature of the interior SE.  

we have two primary circuits for big heat and/or big DPs in this part of the country:  Bermuda High;  'over the top'

-- The Bermuda High is the more classic.. It's when the -PNAP takes over and heights balloon east of 90 W ... When that happens... confluence SE of NS tends to build sfc pressure over the ocean... and the subtropical ridge in total retrogrades west ... the lower tropospheric flow circuitously flows from the SW Atlantic Basin toward the NW over FLorida and Adjacent Gulf and sometimes SEerlies into the 'Linas.. That torrid air mass ridges N through the TV and then turns back toward the NE/E around said ridge once it makes the latitudes of the OV, and it arrives here as a (by then) somewhat continental charge heat but because of the source origin ...DPs can push the mid 70s in extremer scenarios.  This sort of heat is uncomfortable when it maximizes...  HI numbers may even push 101. 

-- The other type, 'over the top' is basically how we get our very hottest actual air temperatures (usually..).  I have, for some reason..., drawn ridicule for labeling this type of heat as a Sonoran Heat Release... :) by individuals that privately love it... heh.  Anyway, it's really somewhat similar to an EML expulsion, although there can be one without the other.  The Sonoran air mass simply means the source origin is from that region of the country, the deep SW/desert cooked plateau air.  850s can be ridic in those plumes that get ejected out of the SW from mid May to early Sept... sometimes on the order of pushing 30 C as far E as Missouri. Usually, by the time it gets here it's dimmed 22 C or so...but I have seen it as high as 26 C even as far NE as PWM!  This air mass typically bakes over the SW for a couple of days, ..then a Rosby roll-out takes place and the air mass gets sent NE as height falls approach from the west.  It may move up into the Lakes and across southern Ontario and then descend across our region from the NW ..sort of counter-intuitive. "Hot Saturday" Aug 1975 was an over-the-topper.   The air mass we had in July of 2011 (I think it was...) where we had many 105 F readings up and down Rt 9 for an afternoon was also of that origin.   

Sometimes also that SW air mass release can happen as the west Atlantic is retrograding and that can mix/skew the source for the big heat.  

Otherwise, we are pretty temperate around here...vacillating between 'seasonal above normals to failed storm chase 130 page threads to 'seasonal below normal' days.  With a smattering of 'name your favorite snow storm' titles that for some reason always start up around the Fourth of July...  But you'll get used to that kind of climate too - 

4 hours ago, alex said:

I identify with that. I was the same way as a kid, always wishing I lived in the mountains or somewhere really snowy. But I also think it becomes normalized. They don’t get as excited about snow as kids who rarely see it. And even as adults, you get used to it. When I moved from Italy to Boston Boston seemed like the snowiest place on Earth. Now when I’m down there it feels like the tropics (although a fantastic city in every respect). I mean, it’s April and we’ve had a snowpack since November and I’m like, “heh, it was an OK winter.” I love it here - not just for the snow, summer is fantastic as well - but you do get used to it. 10 years ago when I lived in Boston having 2 feet of snow in the woods behind my house would have been awesome any day. Now, it seems so normal I don’t even pay attention to it unless I really make it a point to sit and think about it. Which I sometime do. :) 

Between that and the Whites, some fascinating places to live.

8 hours ago, alex said:

I identify with that. I was the same way as a kid, always wishing I lived in the mountains or somewhere really snowy. But I also think it becomes normalized. They don’t get as excited about snow as kids who rarely see it. And even as adults, you get used to it. When I moved from Italy to Boston Boston seemed like the snowiest place on Earth. Now when I’m down there it feels like the tropics (although a fantastic city in every respect). I mean, it’s April and we’ve had a snowpack since November and I’m like, “heh, it was an OK winter.” I love it here - not just for the snow, summer is fantastic as well - but you do get used to it. 10 years ago when I lived in Boston having 2 feet of snow in the woods behind my house would have been awesome any day. Now, it seems so normal I don’t even pay attention to it unless I really make it a point to sit and think about it. Which I sometime do. :) 

You definitely become a bit jaded to it.  Like you were saying, I'm looking out my window right now at partial snow cover and growing up if I had this on April 9th I would be on cloud 9.  When I take the dog out I can see ski trails and the summit of a white-capped mountain.  I remember wanting that so bad growing up, when I thought looking at the 1,000ft elevations on either side of the Hudson Valley were "mountains."  And, like so many have told me and its true, you end up really loving the warm season up here.  Its the endless post-card days of lower humidity, temps in the 75-82F range, with cool nights and puffy Cu over the mountains as crystal clear rivers run through the valleys.

I just wish there was a way to stop from getting jaded by it all or at least used to it all.  But it happens and is human nature.  My sister was the flip side, and growing up always dreamed of living in the middle of NYC...the energy and wonder of Manhattan.  Now she's lived there for 6-7 years, good job, but she talks about how the wonder of it all has worn off a bit.  It's just "normal" now. 

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You definitely become a bit jaded to it.  Like you were saying, I'm looking out my window right now at partial snow cover and growing up if I had this on April 9th I would be on cloud 9.  When I take the dog out I can see ski trails and the summit of a white-capped mountain.  I remember wanting that so bad growing up, when I thought looking at the 1,000ft elevations on either side of the Hudson Valley were "mountains."  And, like so many have told me and its true, you end up really loving the warm season up here.  Its the endless post-card days of lower humidity, temps in the 75-82F range, with cool nights and puffy Cu over the mountains as crystal clear rivers run through the valleys.

I just wish there was a way to stop from getting jaded by it all or at least used to it all.  But it happens and is human nature.  My sister was the flip side, and growing up always dreamed of living in the middle of NYC...the energy and wonder of Manhattan.  Now she's lived there for 6-7 years, good job, but she talks about how the wonder of it all has worn off a bit.  It's just "normal" now. 

I never grew jaded being by the ocean, it was something I enjoyed year round too. Nothing better to distress than a solitary long walk on the beach with only the sound of waves crashing. I miss the ocean a lot.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I never grew jaded being by the ocean, it was something I enjoyed year round too. Nothing better to distress than a solitary long walk on the beach with only the sound of waves crashing. I miss the ocean a lot.

Jaded is probably the wrong word... there's nothing more peaceful than a quiet ski run by yourself or a walk along the river with the dog with mountain vistas.  It's more with it becoming "normal" that you start to lose perspective I guess.  Like this is just how it is, so the excitement is a little less maybe?  I'm not sure how the best way to describe it is.  I guess it's why the phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side" came about... once it becomes routine, there is a small part of the wonder that may diminish because this is just normal now. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Jaded is probably the wrong word... there's nothing more peaceful than a quiet ski run by yourself or a walk along the river with the dog with mountain vistas.  It's more with it becoming "normal" that you start to lose perspective I guess.  Like this is just how it is, so the excitement is a little less maybe?  I'm not sure how the best way to describe it is.  I guess it's why the phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side" came about... once it becomes routine, there is a small part of the wonder that may diminish because this is just normal now. 

Peoples wants and needs change over time too. I don’t know if I could live right on the ocean or deep in the mountains full time. It’s nice to be in the middle and be able to pick and choose. If you live in the heart of the white mountains and suddenly skiing isn’t as enjoyable to you anymore, then what? I know it isn’t the end all be all, but that is a major factor for a lot of folks and if it suddenly isn’t a passion, I’m sure it can make living in that area a lot less desirable.

I know that isn’t true for everyone, as some will stick with it and love it for as long as their able to do it.

I also feel like things in general are a lot better in theory, or look better on paper than in practice. Like you mentioned your sister in NYC. That kind of seems along the lines of that.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I think I understand what you mean but fortunately I never lost my passion and excitement, possibly because it's forever changing and the vastness means I never discovered all it has to offer.  

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So yeah.. it’s snowing and sticking . Ground is white

It looks like the best rates are south of us.  Hopefully that changes.

21 minutes ago, Collinsville said:

1 inch and snowing nicely

Nice!  The snow was light when I left home around 7A so only about 0.1" there.  There's a nice moderate snow here in the valley but temps are too warm for it to stick.

5 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Steady snowfall but with tiny flakes. Amazing to see it snowing on April 10th. I guess this is the latest widespread snowfall in SNE since 1996?

There was a pretty good front end burst of snow for many in SNE on April 23, 2011.

April 26, 2000 also saw a pretty widespread snowfall (mostly a coating, but ORH had 2 inches) for the eastern 2/3rds of SNE...and of course, May 18, 2002 got a lot of folks.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a pretty good front end burst of snow for many in SNE on April 23, 2011.

April 26, 2000 also saw a pretty widespread snowfall (mostly a coating, but ORH had 2 inches) for the eastern 2/3rds of SNE.

I believe it was April 2012  we had a scalping sleet storm here. 2"+  with accidents all over the place.

Archived